Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Well, I hope for your sake that it's something that works for you and your family[smile] Also, if it's a new team, that means you can enter the novice category, so it won't be so overwhelming and you probably won't have to worry about the technique as much. This is our first year out of novice category, and we're all a bit worried. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
I think the middle ground needs to happen in ballet schools as well. The big, professional ballet school is really all or nothing. They don't really want kids who don't want to be professional ballerinas. Not every 16 year old WANTS to take 12 hours of ballet a week. Some just want to do it for fun.

This does exist some places. There is a regional company in our area that actually has a middle ground of sorts. They have solved this problem at most age levels by having different tracks. As a 16 yr old, you can be in the level/group that they call some sort of "junior company." They have the usual more rigorous schedule. They also have available regular ballet  classes but once they are in pointe shoes, they are expected to attend 3 days a week. That is much more doable for a 16 yr old who wants to pursue other activities than the normal pre-pro schedule. We know several dancers from dd's former studio, one that offered only one track, who switched over there so they could more easily do school shows, music programs, etc. 

I know of quite a few ballet programs that will allow kids to take a reduced schedule. Sometimes it means a different track, sometimes it just means coming fewer days per week.  Sure, many of the bigger professional ballet schools might not offer that option but, then again, that's not the student they're looking to attract.  I think it's important for dancers/parents to make sure to find a school that actually offers what it is they are looking for, not expect the school they have decided they want to go to to cater to their needs.  JMHO
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I certainly didn't mean to imply that ALL ballet schools were this way. But many are.

Thankfully, we have found a great ballet school that lets my daughter supplement her comp school on a part time basis.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJIDance
I posted this in the summer and then posted a few more times about DD7 actually wanting more than 4 hours a week. Well, fast forward to now, and the SO is under huge pressure to add hours and add a competition team (we only have a performing company). Parents of promising 7-8 year olds are leaving for studios with big names and strong competition teams that require 10+ hours commitment. It really is sad. There needs to be a middle ground. I don't know. Rambling. But we just got an email last week that our studio is adding a comp team and is expected to compete in at least the last few competitions of the season. The auditions are sometime end of February and I have been approached by the DT that's in charge of the effort asking DD to audition and basically telling me that she is one of the girls specifically expected to join and one that they feared would leave. I don't know how I feel about that. It's flattering but when I considered leaving it wasn't to join a comp team. While 4 hours is not enough for her, 10+ is way too many for me. I would have much preferred more technique classes because we do tend to focus too much on choreography... Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Decision, decisions. Ironically, we might have to leave IF they add the team rather than the opposite. If all the best teachers and kids go to the team and the focus shifts there but our family isn't able or willing to commit the time and money, we will have no other choice.

Sounds like your SO is having a major knee jerk reaction.  It is way too late in the season to start auditions for a comp team for this year.  It would make more sense for her to do some research this year and then put a comp program in place for next year when she can get it right.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I don't know if we have any rule about but the kids on my daughter's mini team all were given the same schedule with the exception of hip hop which they take but it was optional; these classes including hip hop end up being 6 hours.  The youngest on the team is 8 (was 7 at the beginning of the year but he's the SO's son); the oldest is my daughter at 10.
Natashabrown

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
DD was taking upwards of 15 hours per week at 6 years old (including rehearsels). Waaay too much for a little body. 2 hours would have been what I would have chosen if I had known what I know now; even though she never complained.
ladybug1993

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Mine is 10 in 2 dances and a duet. There are 4 hours of technique each week..One hour each tap, ballet, acro, leaps and turns. The 2 group dances are 30 minutes each choreography each week and duet is 30 minutes every other week. There are options for more advanced dancers of more ballet but the child has to be invited into the class(es) and they are another fee each. I have read enough of these conversations to know that one hour per week of ballet is not really enough but we are not offered anything more. The closest ballet studio or another studio thAt offers more ballet options are a minimum of 45 minutes drive so my DD does the best she can in what she is offered and will get one private lesson a month starting after Christmas so that does help some. The studio is a competitive studio that caters to the more advanced dancers but it's hard for those like my daughter who just love to dance but not an advanced dancer to get more opportunities so we do what we can with what is offered.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
This year my now almost 9 year old is up to 7 hours a week total and my 6 year old is at 5 (still the max allowed for her age). I wish more of those hours were ballet but they each only get an hour a week. I looked into ballet schools, and while we have two excellent ones in our area, they all want a commitment of at least 3 classes a week beyond their pre-ballet classes. DD8 is not interested in that because that would pretty much mean dropping the current studio and going ballet full on. That might be an option for dd6 down the road, but my older one does not have the personality to be a full on bunhead [biggrin]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: