Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm happy to report some good news. My DD graduated with her dance BFA this year and she was hired in New York.  She moved there in August and will be performing in December.  [thumb].  It is also nice to see that many of her classmates have been successful in launching their careers.  

We will see what the coming year brings for DD.  She has an OPT-1 visa for a year so the next big project will be to apply for the 3-year O-1 if it is in the cards to stay in the U.S. 

The adventure continues!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Congratulations to your daughter; that is really exciting!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Fantastic news! Congratulations to your dd! 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Can I ask what job she accepted and what jobs did her friends got?  My dd16 needs to hear some good success stories.
CushKIn1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Congratulations to your daughter! 
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Woohoo! Fabulous news!
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
That is such great news. My DD16 was just telling me yesterday she is afraid of getting a BFA because it doesn't get you anything. Any words of advice for her? I would really appreciate it. She is trying to 'like' other subjects but she is fighting her artsy side:-)
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
If she's fighting her artsy side that may be the sign that she doesn't want to live the life of an artist.  If you can be convinced to do anything else then you don't have the drive that it takes to handle the beat down that comes with being a working artist.
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I agree as well meaball77, but at 16 she has a new career in mind every week! I was set in my ways at that age and knew what to pursue so it's hard to watch her figure it out! lol
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you so much for your kind words of congratulations!

My DD and 2 other classmates were hired by Sonya Tayeh for her upcoming show "you'll still call me by name" http://newyorklivearts.org/event/call-me-by-name/

Other university classmates are working with Giordano (Chicago), David Parsons, Bad Boys, Johannes Wieland (Europe).  These are ones just off the top of my head ...

I would have to say that these opportunities came about through a combination of the university program and networking/intensives outside of the program.  It is really up to the dancer to expand their connections.  My DD has a passion for the concert dance world and she pursued other training such as Springboard Danse Montreal, Movement Invention Project, Sidra Bell Module (just to give a few examples).  

Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Wonderful! Congratulations to her! As the mum of a Canadian currently dancing professionally in Canada, I would love to hear more about the visa process. I would also love your thoughts on Springboard Danse, Sidra Bell Module etc.
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
This is a very interesting thread. We are still so caught up in the competitive world I'm beginning to realize we know very little about the profession. Thank you for that insight!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Congratulations!  I know several of us hope we have similar news to report when our dancers graduate from college!

cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Your positive feedback is so nice and I am happy to answer the questions. If you want more details, please pm me.

It does not seem that long ago that my DD was focused on the competition world - a little more than 5 years ago.  She and I were very much invested in the whole thing - multiple solos/duets/groups choreographed by well-known names, intense schedule at a highly-regarded studio, travelling to conventions, etc...   We discovered the concert dance world on our own and my daughter's epiphany moments occurred when she saw Kidd Pivot for the first time and then when she first attended Springboard Danse Montreal.

Springboard is an amazing program and it was an eye opener for me too. DD has been 3 times, the first when she was 18. I have attended all 3 showings. BTW  mail-in auditions for 2017 are being accepted starting December 1 http://www.springboarddansemontreal.com/audition/  

Programs like Springboard and Movement Invention Project (MIP) are great because the dancer gets to work with a variety of choreographers/instructors (keeping in mind that these classes are not just an hour or two with hundreds of dancers in a convention hall). http://www.movementinventionproject.com/ MIP also offers MIP2 for ages 16-18.

DD has attended Sidra Bell Module a couple of times. She loves it.  Submission deadlines are this month for the workshop in January http://www.sidrabelldanceny.org/module

As for the Visa question - whoa!! ... the process is so intimidating, but all the dancers I know who have applied have been successful, keeping in mind that they put together VERY detailed and complete portfolios. This is where being an intense dance mom comes in handy - haha. If you save everything that your dancer has accomplished, then you are somewhat ready for what needs to be done.  Using a service like VISAPAQ http://visapaq.webs.com/ is one way to go.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
That is such great news. My DD16 was just telling me yesterday she is afraid of getting a BFA because it doesn't get you anything. Any words of advice for her? I would really appreciate it. She is trying to 'like' other subjects but she is fighting her artsy side:-)

I think the idea of pursuing dance professionally can be very daunting.  As we all know, not only is it highly competitive, but it doesn't even pay well (how many highly competitive jobs pay so little  LOL).  My DD ALWAYS had other ideas about what she was going to go to college for.  She was going to dance (classes, dance teams, etc.), but she was going to study something more "practical".

When she was about 15 or so, however, she was all in for dance.  It's what she wanted to do... either audition or go into a BFA program.  Something changed in her and she just knew she had to try.  She said she wanted to get her BFA and not worry about a "plan B" because if all her focus was on dance then she wouldn't have a plan B to use as a crutch.  That would force her to work her butt off to achieve her dance goals.  You couple that mentality with the knowledge that a dance career is relatively short, it's not something you can really put on hold... but college will always be there, and with a BFA there's already a foundation there to build on if she ever decides to go back to study something else.  That made her know that she would be ok. (Thinking back, I think her thought process changed when she made more friends from other dance studios at conventions.  Dancers who were pursuing dance professionally.  It made her realize that it is possible and that regular people (not just Instafamous/YouTube famous dancers) do it.  In her home studio at that time it just wasn't something people did after high school.)

So, to some degree, I agree with Meatball.  There has to be a drive to succeed in the dance world or you just won't.  BUT, it's natural to question. It shows that she understands that it will be a lot of hard work to achieve her dreams.  But if she knows that there are options, and that the decision she makes at 17 or 18 years old will not seal her fate for the rest of her life, then she can breath a little easier.  And I think, for my DD, letting her know she had my support in any decision she made was helpful.  I wouldn't let her live on the streets.  LOL

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

I think the idea of pursuing dance professionally can be very daunting.  As we all know, not only is it highly competitive, but it doesn't even pay well (how many highly competitive jobs pay so little  LOL).  My DD ALWAYS had other ideas about what she was going to go to college for.  She was going to dance (classes, dance teams, etc.), but she was going to study something more "practical".

When she was about 15 or so, however, she was all in for dance.  It's what she wanted to do... either audition or go into a BFA program.  Something changed in her and she just knew she had to try.  She said she wanted to get her BFA and not worry about a "plan B" because if all her focus was on dance then she wouldn't have a plan B to use as a crutch.  That would force her to work her butt off to achieve her dance goals.  You couple that mentality with the knowledge that a dance career is relatively short, it's not something you can really put on hold... but college will always be there, and with a BFA there's already a foundation there to build on if she ever decides to go back to study something else.  That made her know that she would be ok. (Thinking back, I think her thought process changed when she made more friends from other dance studios at conventions.  Dancers who were pursuing dance professionally.  It made her realize that it is possible and that regular people (not just Instafamous/YouTube famous dancers) do it.  In her home studio at that time it just wasn't something people did after high school.)

So, to some degree, I agree with Meatball.  There has to be a drive to succeed in the dance world or you just won't.  BUT, it's natural to question. It shows that she understands that it will be a lot of hard work to achieve her dreams.  But if she knows that there are options, and that the decision she makes at 17 or 18 years old will not seal her fate for the rest of her life, then she can breath a little easier.  And I think, for my DD, letting her know she had my support in any decision she made was helpful.  I wouldn't let her live on the streets.  LOL

I seriously think our D's are similar in their thought processes!  Everytime you post I always end up quoting you!

Congrats @cdnmom!!  So happy for your D, what a wonderful opportunity!

My D is currently dancing in NYC and loving every minute of it!  She is also teaching dance at a local studio and while it is difficult piecing together a dance career and making a decent living, it can be done. My D is just starting out, but I hope the connections she is creating now will help her have the longevity in the dance world that she is hoping to achieve.

cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I also agree wholeheartedly with meatball77 and JoJosDanceMom.  Your dancer must have the drive and be prepared to live the life of an dancer.  I don't know of any my DD's colleagues who are in it for money or fame. They are just dedicated artists.

I am very proud of my DD getting her BFA, but I certainly questioned it along the way.  Before she auditioned for the U.S. university dance program, she attended one year at University of Toronto, academically, not dance-related.  Although she did well, this is when her passion to continue with dance became apparent. Later she came to appreciate the academic level at UofT after taking the core non-dance subjects at the U.S. university.  She completed the 4-year program in 3 years which really helped financially along with the scholarships.  If it had been affordable, taking 4 years to get a a double-major would have been good.  There is always a possibility she could go back to university (in Canada) and as JoJosDanceMom suggests - the BFA provides the foundation.  DD embraced the academic side and didn't just check them off the list. She is invested in the learning process.

I think if a teenager can initially enter university with a solid interest in one area, it provides meaningful direction.  And they still have the opportunity to discover other subjects/studies they enjoy or may change their minds to pursue. 

DD is in the very very early stages of her professional career, so we have yet to see how "practical" the BFA turns out to be. I agree again JoJosDanceMom - providing support in the decision-making as well as the knowledge that she always has a homebase - is a level of comfort for both of us.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Congrats to your daughter!  and thanks for sharing.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Thanks for the great information. I will look into those programs and the visa service.
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Thank you so much for the information. I will keep it in mind if she happens to bring it up again. I don't like to steer her, I want her to find her own path.
simosmooth

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
woow Congratulation [smile] get an apportunity in new york was always my goals, but im still looking for it
simosmooth

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
woow congratulation [smile] geting an apportunity in new york was always a big goal for me 
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
All the congratulatory responses are very much appreciated . Thank you !
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Since dancemom has always been such a wealth of information I posted in the Misc Dance to ask ... What advice is out there from experienced dancers and dance moms about living and dancing in NYC ? Looking for anything and everything.... Thanks !
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: