Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom

Going to a convention is a way to get your DS's feet wet in the competitive world. A convention is a long weekend of classes taught by (usually) famous-ish dancers -some whom have been on SYTYCD. If you'd like, you can PM me and I'll let you know about some in our area. Many of the big name conventions they are talking about are very crowded in Minneapolis, and attract studios like Larkin. There are lots of smaller conventions that are also fantastic, and dancers get more personal attention. And also don't kick each other because the room is so crowded! 

Can't PM...I guess I will need to upgrade my membership.  [frown]
kendrapoe

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof3dancers
Ok so what's the inside scoup? I have a friend who went solo to a convention recently and they gave her the director packet (the director is her friend and told her to grab it I guess) and inside this packet it said clear as day.....that the studio director gets to pick 2-3 of their students (based on numbers taken to that convention) to have scholarships awarded to! I know some are given from the teachers in class but clearly some are not. Anyone else have info on this? Makes me really irritated because at our studio its the same girl getting it at every single one.
kendrapoe

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Girl! Reading your post was literally every word I was about to write and ask. Our SO has her one favorite and we have just found out that she has been getting them every year, and especially at all the ones that we go to that the SO gets to give one, she has been getting them all for years! Okay I do understand about them giving our SO a scholarship to give out, however i don't agree it should be kept secret from the girls and then have to find out some other way…i feel its all about how the SO goes about it and if she gives it fairly..but yet again a few hours ago we found out that next weekend will be the 2nd comp and convention that we are going to that she's gotten that scholarship from and I don't like how they are trying to hide it from us, that's all. You really took the words right out of my mouth though. Because had my friend not been reading on their website we would have never found out any other way and then we started going back to the ones we have just went to and what do ya know? Same pattern! Hope 🙏 your situation gets better, I'll let you know if she ends up getting it yet again this time because us moms are confronting her nicely about being fair with it and why we didn't ever know about it all these years. Good luck!
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Adrenaline used to give a free entry for every so many students. Which really used to tick me off about old SO, because we could have used the entries and then lowered the cost by a few dollars to the other dancers. I have my theories on whom she used the free entries.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDanceDad

Can't PM...I guess I will need to upgrade my membership.  [frown]

Anyone can pm... don't need a special membership for that.  Just click on 'private message'(in the upper right hand corner), click on 'write a new message', and just type in the screen name of the person you wish to communicate with.  Voila!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
All their scholarships were awarded at the closing ceremony. The first ones called out were single convention scholarships and not given by the convention teachers. Then the bigger ones were called out (this group by far had the most) and were given out by the convention teachers. We all could tell right away something was off. The one girl who got 1 gets it EVERY SINGLE TIME and is in no way more deserving than others. Her family has more kids dancing and has somehow worked their way into being a studio favorite but no way more deserving. As far as financial needs....arent WE ALL??? I mean no one competitive dances when they have a hard time paying bills. I'm at 15k a year and could use the help as much as anyone. Really annoying and 100% politics.

Responding to the bolded - that has totally not been my experience.  DD's last studio had 2 dancers from different families who were financially strapped and did not pay there bills.  I'm not sure how they did it except that the studio let them slide on the $450/month tuition bills.  Probably why the studio went bankrupt and then opened under another name.

Shadamae

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
If your friend went solo to the convention I’m wondering how the studio was given any scholarships. Usually when a studio brings say 10 or more students, they are given a free scholarship to do with what they choose. The more students they bring the more goodies they can get. Sometimes teachers get free hotel rooms and entry to teacher classes too. Our studio gives these out at recital. My DD got one last year. Our SO never even knew she could get them until I told her.
kendrapoe

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #33 
No she didnt go by herself to the convention. We have all been going for years but never knew anything like that was happening as far as free stuff (rooms, scholarships, anything) ...Us moms just got used to the constant favoritism. when i started researching i did read that about the free hotel at some of the conventions when you bring so many dancers, yet we have always paid her more when we pay the comp and convention fee, she charges a fee for her travel and stay..then come to find out half of them were free in the first place but she never thought any of us would ever find out because its been happening so long. Also, the SO and the girls mother that she has been giving it to over and over all these years are best friends. That pretty much sums it up right there, i just think that its so wrong because we have so many girls that work their butts off and never even get a "oh your doing great" and then we have mothers that are struggling SO BADLY trying to keep the girls in dance and she just overlooks that stuff. I mean we all know how expensive dance is. Dont even get me started on that! lol Another thing i wanted to ask everyone on here is after your kids compete, how do you hear or see your childs critiques? Does the SO send them directly to you or how does that work? I feel we pay enough money for these things, that we are owed those critiques and let me tell you, my daughters first 2 years of competitive dance, i never seen nor heard those critiques after i asked and asked and asked until it just got ridiculous! But now the "favorite" listens to her critiques as soon as they drive away from the dern competition and the next thing you know, her solo has changed, or something has been added which is what should happen but not to just one girl.  Its just not fair but hey life isnt fair, im just glad i have this to vent!! 
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Regarding the critiques:

At our previous studio - SO told me that no one is allowed a copy of them. She claimed the files are all one large media file and she would not be able to separate just my childs dance. (Of course this was baloney). She also rarely let anyone (kids included) hear their critiques. Once in a while they would have a post convention/competition meeting where they played them but just one judge.

At new studio - the SO emails all of the digital critiques to the parents. She also puts all the score sheets out on a table in the studio so all the kids/parents can see the written remarks and points.

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Both studios we attended the SO/DT would play all the critiques for the dancers during the next class.  One comp we went to actually gave a compy of the critiques for free to every soloists along with a copy of their dances with no critique overlay.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
We do always get to listen to critiques (even though it may be what the DT has been saying all along! lol).  I think I would be upset too if I didn't get a chance to see them.
Shadamae

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Our SO only lets students see/hear the critique videos. Parents are never told (because SO and teachers are afraid of parents pushing them to fix their kids more)and we are never given scores from any competition.
PastrySugar

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Ok so what's the inside scoup? I have a friend who went solo to a convention recently and they gave her the director packet (the director is her friend and told her to grab it I guess) and inside this packet it said clear as day.....that the studio director gets to pick 2-3 of their students (based on numbers taken to that convention) to have scholarships awarded to! I know some are given from the teachers in class but clearly some are not. Anyone else have info on this? Makes me really irritated because at our studio its the same girl getting it at every single one.
PastrySugar

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:

This just breaks my heart. So the SO choose based on wether the family can afford to travel and let DD compete?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
To clarify the vast majority of convention scholarships are given by the convention faculty without any input from the SO. In addition to those merit based scholarships, the convention may give a scholarship to the SO (usually based on number of dancers from that studio at the convention) and then the studio can decide what to do with that scholarship. In our studio those studio scholarships are financial need based, not merit based and I fully support that.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.