Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Mommyof3dancers

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #1 
Ok so what's the inside scoup? I have a friend who went solo to a convention recently and they gave her the director packet (the director is her friend and told her to grab it I guess) and inside this packet it said clear as day.....that the studio director gets to pick 2-3 of their students (based on numbers taken to that convention) to have scholarships awarded to! I know some are given from the teachers in class but clearly some are not. Anyone else have info on this? Makes me really irritated because at our studio its the same girl getting it at every single one.
0
dave9988

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 719
Reply with quote  #2 
Doesn't sound like a convention we've ever attended.
0
dancedream

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 332
Reply with quote  #3 
I know the KAR convention does that or at least did. That's why we stopped taking our daughter as an independent years ago. Independents had zero chance of getting a scholarship.

0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,215
Reply with quote  #4 

The more students they bring, the more scholarships like that they get too

 

0
MNDanceDad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #5 
The politics of dancing.......
0
prancer

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,075
Reply with quote  #6 
These types of studio scholarships are usually not handed out at big conventions, but are given to teachers to fund a student the next year. E,g. At NUVO: Each studio that brings 10 or more paying dancers to the workshop will receive a NUVO Studio Scholarship, which was started as a tool for studio owners to help their dancers connect the convention experience with their studio experience. The Studio Scholarship allows one dancer from each studio to come back to one NUVO workshop during the 2018-2019 regional season, free of charge!
0
Mommyof3dancers

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #7 
Yes these were 1 convention scholarships and not given out by any of the convention teachers. So does the studio director pick who those go to?
0
prancer

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,075
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes. In that case the studio decides. At our studio it tends to go to students with financial need. And it’s all done privately without anyone else knowing.
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 769
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof3dancers
Ok so what's the inside scoup? I have a friend who went solo to a convention recently and they gave her the director packet (the director is her friend and told her to grab it I guess) and inside this packet it said clear as day.....that the studio director gets to pick 2-3 of their students (based on numbers taken to that convention) to have scholarships awarded to! I know some are given from the teachers in class but clearly some are not. Anyone else have info on this? Makes me really irritated because at our studio its the same girl getting it at every single one.


I'd like to know what conventions do this - meaning the ones where the SO gets to pick the scholarship winners. 
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,058
Reply with quote  #10 
Doesn't sound like politics to me.  Just sounds like a perk offered to studios.. .perhaps in return for bringing X number of students (or something like that).  Better not to overthink this kind of stuff.  It's business.  No one is screwing anyone over.  
0
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,991
Reply with quote  #11 
Yes, most of the big conventions give a scholarship to the SO to award to the dancer of their choice. I think you just need to bring at least 10 students. I have no idea who our studio has given ours to. Mist parents don't even know about it from our studio. I like to read the rules and get info on the comps we do which is how I found out.
0
jule425

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 206
Reply with quote  #12 
Can you tell us which convention? Several of the moms suspect this went on at a convention we attended last year, but sure would like to know if our suspicions are correct. 

0
MNDanceDad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Doesn't sound like politics to me.  Just sounds like a perk offered to studios.. .perhaps in return for bringing X number of students (or something like that).  Better not to overthink this kind of stuff.  It's business.  No one is screwing anyone over.  


How do you know that?  That could very well be the case.  You certainly hope not, but you don't know that for sure.  Seems to me it could very easily happen if the best dancers happen to be independent or with a very small studio.
0
5678StarMom

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 734
Reply with quote  #14 
This definitely happens. We went to a convention comp a few years back and the studio star won a scholarship that was announced at the big awards ceremony on Sunday at the end of the weekend....she didn’t attend a single class. Literally sat out in the hall with her mom the entire weekend because she didn’t like the large crowds. The teacher tried to say “they must have seen her dancing on stage to give that award...” but it was literally a convention award for excellence in class (maybe jazz?) And the teacher who “chose” this award was not a judge and wasn’t present during the comp.

What a joke!
0
lovemykids

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 93
Reply with quote  #15 
I think it's ok for conventions to reward studios for bringing many students with an free pass or two for the following year and then the SO can give out to her discretion, either based on financial need, or effort, or whatever other random criteria she likes. This is very different from the fact of the convention actually giving our a scholarship at the closing to somebody other than who the teachers picked, and especially in a situation like the one described above where the girl didn't even attend the classes. I think these are two completely different scenarios, one is a positive in my eyes because it is a support, the other one is politics and I consider it terrible.
0
nyklane

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 174
Reply with quote  #16 
I can totally understand the "Reward" for bringing students - totally business.  And a poster described above - as in Nuvo - makes sense - the SO can take that scholarship back to give as they see fit - to deserving students or those in need.  That's fantastic. But it would make me upset if those were the ones that they presented on stage at the end of a convention.

We typically go as independents, and I have most certainly questioned some "scholarship" awards to certain students as I typically sit in all day long (DD is 8) and see the work they put in throughout the day.  For the most part though, I do see the best dancers get the recognition  - at least at the conventions I've been to.  // The ones I question were the little annoying 5 year old (there were plenty of not annoying 5 year olds) who had to talk in the mike with every instructor and really wasn't able to follow any of the moves  - (and rather run back and forth across the floor as others were dancing)//

I would hope that most conventions (and the ones I've even to seem okay) are evaluating the dancers as they see them.
0
Noel

Avatar / Picture

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 481
Reply with quote  #17 
I have to say that people do get screwed depending on the SO. You'd like to think the scholarship goes to someone who earned or needed it, but that's putting a lot of trust into a SO to do the right thing.

Now, I'll say that I believe that the SO I'm referring to feels very justified in their decisions, but I can rattle off a list of several (easily a dozen) dancers and families who could really use the hand up, the support, the pat on the back financially who never get that nod. I can rattle off another lengthy list of dancers who would earn those perks with their work ethic and talent, and again never get that nod. I know the SO feels great about their decisions because she'll tell you so herself, but I can also tell you that her willingness to brazenly support some struggling dancers, but completely ignore the struggles and strains that others are experiencing, disgusted me.

In one season she moved heaven and earth to support one family in crisis and literally showed another the door for inability to pay on a schedule she made. Neither had the finances, one got a free ride, one was shown the door. Guess which one had family ties that go way back? 

I just don't trust most SO to do the right thing with that call. But, I recognize, it's business. Their studio, their name, their business they bring the conventions, they get to decide. If I disagree with their choices on that, along with enough other things, I'd leave. That alone, I'd roll my eyes and chalk it up to life lessons for my dancer, but I'll bring this full circle, depending on the SO people definitely feel screwed.
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,058
Reply with quote  #18 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDanceDad


How do you know that?  That could very well be the case.  You certainly hope not, but you don't know that for sure.  Seems to me it could very easily happen if the best dancers happen to be independent or with a very small studio.
The reason I say that is because if they’re doing that, it’s not about ‘the best dancer”. It’s a scholarship given to the studio... to hand out as they see fit. Simply as an incentive. It really has nothing to do with the small studio/independent.

And for whatever it's worth... my dd competed as an independent for two years. And in making that decision we fully understood and accepted that there would be some opportunities that would not be available to her. No biggie. You win some, you lose some.

0
Mommyof3dancers

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #19 
All their scholarships were awarded at the closing ceremony. The first ones called out were single convention scholarships and not given by the convention teachers. Then the bigger ones were called out (this group by far had the most) and were given out by the convention teachers. We all could tell right away something was off. The one girl who got 1 gets it EVERY SINGLE TIME and is in no way more deserving than others. Her family has more kids dancing and has somehow worked their way into being a studio favorite but no way more deserving. As far as financial needs....arent WE ALL??? I mean no one competitive dances when they have a hard time paying bills. I'm at 15k a year and could use the help as much as anyone. Really annoying and 100% politics.
0
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 479
Reply with quote  #20 
Our studio competes mostly at conventions so the kids work very hard to make audition finalists. The finalists can compete in a separate title solo competition at the nationals so kids kinda get embarrassed if they don't make it. Some kids go to multiple cities to make the finalist audition. We go to all Break the Floor (Nuvo, Jump, 24Seven), Adrenaline, Revive, NYCDA.

The Outstanding Dancer/VIP/Breakout Artist, etc whatever the convention's audition winners and runner ups get good $$ off scholarships, and they are picked by the audition teachers. I know every year we give a few of each single convention scholarships during our studio's summer Intensive because SO told us we received them from Ray/Gil/Joe. This might be the similar kind the OP's friend got? They don't get called out during the convention's award ceremony. 

The class scholarships from BTF look like they pool all the audition numbers who made to certain round and randomly put into a genre, so my ballerina daughter has received a few hip hop scholarships [biggrin] 

Was your convention one from I listed above? Those are the most competitive conventions that attract good studios and dancers. We just went to one last weekend, and it looked like the recipients all deserved the scholarship. Even though we took 100+ dancers, no-one from our studio got a single convention scholarship. We have a lot of kids making finalists, so we are happy.
0
nodrama15

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 85
Reply with quote  #21 
I had someone tell me once that SO's can allot a certain amount of extra points to whichever dancers they choose at certain comps.  This was told to someone by a SO at another school - has anyone ever heard of this?  Wondering if there is any truth to that.
0
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 347
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrama15
I had someone tell me once that SO's can allot a certain amount of extra points to whichever dancers they choose at certain comps.  This was told to someone by a SO at another school - has anyone ever heard of this?  Wondering if there is any truth to that.


I have never heard of this and I hear a lot!
0
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 347
Reply with quote  #23 
I don’t see an issue with giving an SO a scholarship to award as she sees fit... need based is always great but there could be so many reasons behind a choice the SO makes in that related to finances, ability, History, longevity, character...

To me this scholarship is similar to the discounts competitions will offer for various reasons.
0
MNDanceDad

Avatar / Picture

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #24 
WOW...After 5 years as a dance dad, the fact that we have never competed or gone to conventions makes me feel like an absolute ROOKIE!  I have a LOT to learn about these things!
0
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,526
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDanceDad
WOW...After 5 years as a dance dad, the fact that we have never competed or gone to conventions makes me feel like an absolute ROOKIE!  I have a LOT to learn about these things!


Going to a convention is a way to get your DS's feet wet in the competitive world. A convention is a long weekend of classes taught by (usually) famous-ish dancers -some whom have been on SYTYCD. If you'd like, you can PM me and I'll let you know about some in our area. Many of the big name conventions they are talking about are very crowded in Minneapolis, and attract studios like Larkin. There are lots of smaller conventions that are also fantastic, and dancers get more personal attention. And also don't kick each other because the room is so crowded! 
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.