Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Lpr3

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
How old were your kids when you started dropping them off at the dance studio and coming back later to pick them up after their classes were over (i.e., not waiting there with them)?

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
First Grade.  I should have earlier.  Once your kids are out of the pre-school classes you shouldn't need to stay anymore.
threedancingdaughters

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We did last year a few times. DD was in 1st grade. Second grade now and is frequently driven there from school by another mom and picked up when classes are done. Or depending on my work schedule, I watch part of class if I'm done early enough. I feel very comfortable dropping her off at our studio.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
For my middle daughter, I stayed far more frequently until an older age because of her younger sister. So I wasn't really there because of her, but I was still there. When younger DD was in 1st grade, I started leaving sometimes. It was a new studio though, so I stayed more often than not. Started increasing the number of times I would just drop off and leave over the past few years. Now she's in 4th grade and I rarely stay. I only live 15 minutes from the studio, so if they are there for more than an hour, I just go home to get stuff done.
3dancermommy

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We live in a very small town. I think I dropped her off (walked her into the building and made sure she was in the studio) when she was probably 6
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
First studio required a parent stay for all kids 6 and under. After that, I was happy to just drop her off. These days, she drives herself and I am very rarely at the studio at all.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio it happens from age 3. From 3 they do a series of back to back classes with a little morning tea break, where they have a supervisor. Parents are not allowed..
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
To me there is n set age.  Does your child need you there.  Do they come out and need you to help them with shoes? Do they need you for comfort?  If they don't....go.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
3 or 4. There was no place for us to stay and we were asked to leave unless our kid was having a problem.
Lpr3

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
That's really the issue. She's 5, turning 6 and I stay now but it's getting harder. Parents are not encouraged to stay, there's really no where to sit and wait in the lobby, you can't see in the classrooms etc (all for good reason I think). Also i have 2 younger sons who are getting sick of it. We also only live 10 min away so leaving and coming back is easy. She's fine being left there and I had to do it once and she was totally fine with it. What makes me nervous is that they rotate through classrooms and teachers so there's no one really "responsible" for her. That said, she knows where the office is and would know to go there if she needed them to get me for some reason. I'm also not really thinking about it for this year, I'm more thinking for next year. So it sounds like my instinct to leave her next year is probably ok?
BreezysMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I think she will be fine.  I'm not sure how it is at your studio, but at mine, if the children are rotating class they leave in a line and attendance is done as soon as class begins.  At the end of class we have door monitors. Children 10 ( I think, maybe 9) and younger are not allowed out of the studio unless an adult has come to pick them up.  I would assume that most studios have some type of safety protocol. 
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
10, and I regret not doing it sooner.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
The first year DD danced she was three (turned four in the fall), I stayed every time...the whole time.  DD joined the competition team the year after and I almost never stayed.  I walked her in, got her situated and left.  
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I started when she was 9.  The year before she only took one class and I didn't see the point in dropping her off, running home, and then turning around and running back all within an hour.  She's 11 now.   Mondays I always leave her, Wednesdays I usually leave her (occasionally I'll take advantage of no one being in the lobby to tie a quilt because I can do it in relative peace and not get cat fur on it) and Fridays I stay since it's only an hour.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Depends on the kid. My oldest was probably 5. My second was closer to 8. I never leave my boys alone. I just can't trust them. LOL
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Last year when she was 7 I would frequently drop her off and come back later. Other times I would stay - she was usually only at the studio for 2 hours at a time. This year I come and go but usually you'll find me there on a Saturday morning for a bit. Seems to be the only time I get some alone time - I can hide away from what I need to get done for a bit and enjoy a quiet coffee. Usually a couple of the other moms are there to doing the same thing so it's a bit social too.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I didn't leave DS until he was about 11 but he has some health and psychological issues that I wanted to be there to monitor.  Prior to that when he first started doing multiple hours every day I would get him settled and then maybe run and get a coffee and sit in my car in the parking lot and read but I was never far.  Quite a few times this ended up being a good thing since I had to take him to emerg in the middle of class.

I will say as a rule at our "grad studio" the parents tend to stay with the little ones who only have 1 class.  Once they progress to multiple classes they drop and run but never really go far from the studio.
Oreogal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
We just switched studios this year and I was a little surprised that no moms for the 4-5 year old class stay. I stayed maybe the first 2 classes, but it's only 45 minutes and there's a ton of great shopping/places to eat, so I drop, shop around and come back. I feel safe leaving her there alone. They also have a great system where they do not release the girls into the waiting area without the child pointing the parent out. They hold any kids in the dance room whose parents are late. For my younger daughter though, I stay. It's a 2-3 year old class, but there's about 3 moms who do a drop and leave in their car. 

I stayed in the studio in the waiting area at our old studio when oldest dd was 3, but when the weather got nice, I'd hang outside and take a walk on the block with my youngest. The following year when she was 4, about 2x a month towards the middle of the year, I started leaving for around 30 minutes or so. I lived only a 3 minute drive away, one of the only things I miss about that studio lol. Plus, to be honest, a few of the moms there had the most annoying personal convos for an hour or more, and sometimes I just could not bare to sit there and listen lol.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Never made sense to leave when she was there an hour at a time because it was a 20 minute drive each way without traffic, longer at rush hour which was around pick up time back then. I took advantage of the time to read or catch up on work. I actually looked forward to that time. When she started staying longer, I would leave. Much later on, I started staying, especially when she changed studios and then gas prices went up. I joined a gym near by and would spend time there or would work on volunteer work while she was in classes, or both, or I'd go home. 
changole

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Our studio somewhat discourages against waiting around for your kid... It's not disallowed or anything, and there are some dance parents that hang around, but mainly only for the toddler classes that are just 45 minutes in length. There isn't a formal policy about it, and parents are welcome to hang out in a lobby-esque area with seating, but there simply isn't anything to do? The kid is in class, can't watch, etc. etc. If any littles need to go to the bathroom or whatever, class assistants take care of that. And, for that young age, some of them get too distracted just knowing that their parent is around.

So the majority of parents walk their young dancer into the building, wait until they go into class as a group, and then leave. Some hang out in their car. Others leave entirely.

When my daughter first started at age 3, I did stick around to chat with a mom that drove in from out of town. Or sometimes I would run an errand. But since the class was short, and there was only the one, and driving here to there took a bit of time.. it was just more economical and efficient to stay, sometimes. The year after that, though, I made myself get really good at going in and out of the grocery store just to be able to make better use of time. 
MyDancePrincess

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Not until 2 years ago, because of comp. Before comp her classes were 45 mins and I lived 20 mins away. So, when she was 8.
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My daughter was 5 or 6. I would leave and run errands and do grocery shopping. I think that the parents can be a distraction and I know that several parents were ask not to stay when their child was in class because the child would run out of class or whatever. We also have a nice lobby area for parents to wait if they chose to.
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
My daughter is 5 and I still go, because she is still at the age where she needs a little help with her leotard if she has to go to the bathroom. Also the sink and soap are a little too high in the bathroom there for her to use them by herself, and she can't reach the button for the hand dryer.

Once she can do that stuff I'll probably stop sitting and watching so much. Our studio has four classrooms. One is acro and that has the biggest set of windows and benches for parents to watch. The SO wants to encourage parents to watch (especially when the kids are younger) to make sure they're comfortable with the safety/instruction. The other class with a window is the one used most frequently for the pre-k - 6 year olds. Again the SO likes to encourage parents of the younger kids to stay and make sure they're comfortable. The older kids and comp kids generally have class in the two rooms with no seating area or windows - which makes total sense. By that time parents generally wait in the lobby or pick up.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: