Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Kfish1987

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone done this Convention? Do they give class scholarships like Jump and 24seven? Or do only the finalists get them like ASH? How is the class size? She will be a Junior. Only doing Convention not the competition. Thanks
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Love LA Dance Magic!  Scholarships are only given to finalists.  Here is the review I wrote on Competition Dance Hub last month that addresses your question directly:

[star2][star2][star2][star2][star2]  Rated on  Nov 21 2016 
Event Rated (if any): 
Venue: 5 | Judging: -- | Staff: 5 | Awards: -- | Communication: --

My daughter just completed her third LADM Convention in ______. Over the last three years we have enjoyed the experience very much. 2016 brings an exciting new backdrop with lots of lights and multimedia video backgrounds. My daughter has won free regional scholarships for two years, and was a Teen finalist this year.We go to a lot of conventions and one different experience here is that the teachers do not usually pull out student demonstrators toward the end of each class. I think it makes the kids work less hard because there isn't a "reward" of potentially being a demonstrator. It was an interesting difference from most of the conventions we attend. Because the scholarship auditions are held at lunch on the first day of convention, the kids find out who "gets a number" on day one, they come back on Sunday morning to do final Scholarship auditions, and then winners are announced at the closing show on Sunday. This worked great for my daughter because she was a finalist, but if she weren't I think it would be disappointing that only the kids who "got a number" on the first day won any of the multiple and generous scholarships given out at closing show. We loved the faculty, especially new addition Curtis who is just fabulous. We also really liked Christian's optional lunch talk on dance and higher education - promoting college for our aspiring dancers - something we don't hear enough of in the dance industry. Because Christian works in commercial dance and is on faculty at USC Gloria Kaufman's Dance program, he is very credible and we appreciated his effort to teach the history of dance as well as his practical advice. We listened to competition awards and they were VERY confusing, need a better system of articulating and differentiating dancers for awards. Overall, a wonderful, organized convention with enough space - thank you for not overselling! We thought the teachers were great, with strong jazz emphasis, low Contemporary. Highly Recommend!  

Here is the improv section of my DDs finalist audition:

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Another one that really enjoys LADM.  Jackie Sleight runs a class act convention.  It actually has fewer classes than the big names, but they also take a full 15-minute break in both the morning and afternoon.  A very nice opportunity for dancers to relax and recharge before the next couple of classes!  Class size, likely other convention is completely dependent on city and timing. 

Like the previous poster mentioned, dancers are not given number unless they are a finalist from scholarship auditions, and all scholarship winners are chosen from the finalists (the ones with numbers).  No "class scholarships" like Break the Floor or NYCDA.  Also of note, unless you compete (duet, trio or group), you are not eligible for Magic Performer of the Weekend.  You can get any other scholarship, but not the "big" one.  Also, you cannot "compete" a solo without being in a group dance.  You can do a solo without being in a group, but it will be for critique only; you will not even get an adjudication, just critiques.

In our city, auditions are done first thing Sun am, with the final auditions at lunch on Sunday.  While the initial auditions are closed, the final auditions are open to everyone (parents and dancers alike).  Non-finalists, finalists in different age groups and parents get to watch the final auditions.  The video I included is the final auditions from last year.  My daughter is the one on the left.  

All of the teachers are inspiring and genuine.  They adore what they do, and that comes through in everything they say and do.  And don't think that just because they are a smaller convention, that does not mean they don't draw astounding talent!  The 2016 National Sr Magic Performer of the Year was also a top 10 Senior Best dancer in the Vegas Dance Awards!  And she is a phenomenal dancer as well as a sweet, kind-hearted and humble young lady.

If you have a dancer who aspires to a professional career, I also recommend attending the teacher/parent session on higher education that Christian does.  It is well worth the time.

momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Love LADM. Both the convention and the competition. My daughter didn't do the audition last year so I'm not sure how it all works. She really enjoyed the classes and, at least in our area, it wasn't crowded at all. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
dmjrm, your daughter looked great!  Holy cow that was alot of dancers competing though!  I love LADM.  At our old studio we did their Nationals for a long time until they switched to NYCDA.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
dmjrm, your daughter looked great!  Holy cow that was alot of dancers competing though!  I love LADM.  At our old studio we did their Nationals for a long time until they switched to NYCDA.

So tickled that your compliment to my DD is on your 1,000th post on DanceMom.com!!!  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: