Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
pinkpenguin16

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 

It is the first time our entire studio is attending LA Dance Magic and some of our dancers are wondering how the audition process works. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It is a bit different from other conventions.  To begin with, dancers do not get a number at the beginning of the weekend to wear.  Which was quite strange to me the first time we attended.

If you look at the schedule for other cities, you will see scholarship auditions and scholarship finals.  The auditions are closed to observers and broken down by age: Junior (7-11), Teen (12-15) and Senior (16+).  According to my dancer, in the Sr room, they learn the combo, then perform it in small groups.  Based on your performance in the small group, you are either classified as a finalist, or you get one more chance.  Usually, they take 80-90% of the finalists in the first run through, so getting though on the 2nd run is rare.  Finalists only are then given a number they are expected to wear for the rest of the weekend.

Scholarship finals are open to everyone, and it is quite fun to watch.  They have each age group perform their combo several times: first as an entire group, then in smaller groups.  In the small groups, they perform twice, switching lines each time.  Then they have an improv semicircle for 3-5 minutes.  After that, the next age group does the same.  

Scholarships will be awarded to finalists only.  There are no "class" scholarships like you see at BTF or NYCDA.  All finalists from all ages are called onto stage for the scholarship awards part of the closing show; not all finalists will receive something.  One thing to know is in order to be eligible for Magic Performer of the Weekend, you must compete!  And to compete a solo, you must be in a D/T or group as well.  You can perform a solo without being in a D/T or group, but it will be considered exhibition and be for critique only; no adjudication and no placement.  An exhibition solo also makes you eligible for Magic Performer of the Weekend.  Also, they do not differentiate between male and female for MP.  There is only 1 (maybe 2) Magic Performer per age group regardless of gender.  In our city, last year they were all girls; this year, the Jr was a boy, but the teen and Sr were girls.

That's it in a nutshell.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  We have been to LADM regionals several times, and to nationals once.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes. This. LADM is a great convention. I wish your daughter the best!
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Oh what a great convention, one of DD's favorites!  Always crowded here, but DD still loved LADM!

jwsqrdplus2 has explained it all from what I can remember.  

Good luck to your DD!
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Love LA Dance Magic!   Here is the review I wrote on Competition Dance Hub in November 2016:

[star2][star2][star2][star2][star2]  Rated on  Nov 21 2016 
Event Rated (if any): 
Venue: 5 | Judging: -- | Staff: 5 | Awards: -- | Communication: --

My daughter just completed her third LADM Convention in ______. Over the last three years we have enjoyed the experience very much. 2016 brings an exciting new backdrop with lots of lights and multimedia video backgrounds. My daughter has won free regional scholarships for two years, and was a Teen finalist this year.We go to a lot of conventions and one different experience here is that the teachers do not usually pull out student demonstrators toward the end of each class. I think it makes the kids work less hard because there isn't a "reward" of potentially being a demonstrator. It was an interesting difference from most of the conventions we attend. Because the scholarship auditions are held at lunch on the first day of convention, the kids find out who "gets a number" on day one, they come back on Sunday morning to do final Scholarship auditions, and then winners are announced at the closing show on Sunday. This worked great for my daughter because she was a finalist, but if she weren't I think it would be disappointing that only the kids who "got a number" on the first day won any of the multiple and generous scholarships given out at closing show. We loved the faculty, especially new addition Curtis who is just fabulous. We also really liked Christian's optional lunch talk on dance and higher education - promoting college for our aspiring dancers - something we don't hear enough of in the dance industry. Because Christian works in commercial dance and is on faculty at USC Gloria Kaufman's Dance program, he is very credible and we appreciated his effort to teach the history of dance as well as his practical advice. We listened to competition awards and they were VERY confusing, need a better system of articulating and differentiating dancers for awards. Overall, a wonderful, organized convention with enough space - thank you for not overselling! We thought the teachers were great, with strong jazz emphasis, low Contemporary. Highly Recommend!  

Here is the improv section of my DDs finalist audition:

momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
Oh what a great convention, one of DD's favorites!  Always crowded here, but DD still loved LADM!

jwsqrdplus2 has explained it all from what I can remember.  

Good luck to your DD!

You're in Metro Detroit, correct? LADM is even bigger this year. They ended up breaking out a new teen room for 12-15 year olds, solos start at 7:00 am on Friday morning and the comp doesn't end until 12:30 am on SUNDAY morning. And then the kids have to get up for Sunday convention. 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

You're in Metro Detroit, correct? LADM is even bigger this year. They ended up breaking out a new teen room for 12-15 year olds, solos start at 7:00 am on Friday morning and the comp doesn't end until 12:30 am on SUNDAY morning. And then the kids have to get up for Sunday convention. 

It was much bigger here than in years past as well.  We actually had competition start on Friday afternoon (never had that before) and end both nights around 11.  It made for a very long weekend!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2

It was much bigger here than in years past as well.  We actually had competition start on Friday afternoon (never had that before) and end both nights around 11.  It made for a very long weekend!

Friday afternoon was the typical start time for us and probably a 10:30 ending. Now it's 7:00 am with an 11:55 awards on Friday, comp starts back up at 2:00 on Saturday with a 12:35 am awards [eek] Lucikly, I have a junior dancer so she'll be done by 1:15 on Friday and 5:30 on Saturday. 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

Yes, I heard about how large it is this year. DD is at school now and isn't attending,but that is a crazy schedule.  

When DD began this whole dance thing many, many years ago, conventions weren't this big. Yes they have always been crowded and always a full day of classes and competing,but they have really gotten so out of control with size now. I guess its all about money so I understand it, but that Sunday wake up after 12:30 am end time is ridiculous.  Maybe their being a bit too greedy!  DD always loved LADM though, so I will always have good thoughts about it!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom

Yes, I heard about how large it is this year. DD is at school now and isn't attending,but that is a crazy schedule.  

When DD began this whole dance thing many, many years ago, conventions weren't this big. Yes they have always been crowded and always a full day of classes and competing,but they have really gotten so out of control with size now. I guess its all about money so I understand it, but that Sunday wake up after 12:30 am end time is ridiculous.  Maybe their being a bit too greedy!  DD always loved LADM though, so I will always have good thoughts about it!

There are many bigger studios around here that only do conventions now so I don't think it even matters which convention you do in the area, it's going to be crazy crowded. LADM was like a little diamond in the rough but not anymore. Oh well, the girls love the convention teachers and the conmpetition always has some crazy talent so it's fun to watch. 
ProMommie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I am interested in this thread too. My DD won Magic Performer of the Weekend at a regional LA Dance Magic competition. She has received the $250 off the Final Cut Intensive and a National Invite for the National Finals. She is not confidant enough to compete her solo in the National Finals and our studio is not attending. We were trying to determine how much classroom time occurs during the Final Cut week before Nationals and whether she should attend. It would involve flight costs and 5 nights in an LA hotel. Any advise on the benefits of attending related to actual training value? She is honored to win the Regional title but not at all interested in competing for a National title. Thanks.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
LADM is one of my DD's favourite conventions! We haven't been in a couple years, but she absolutely loved it when she went. It was pretty crowded and the talent was top notch. 😉 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.