Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
New2Dance2010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Dance Forum. I would like to know your tips and secrets for keeping a short wig on for an intense tap number. My DD has VERY long, thick hair and will need to bend over at one point or two. Always fear a costume mishap. Thanks in advance!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
In theater, I have seen a chin strap added.

For my own dd, we had the opposite issue with baby fine hair that slipped out of everything. I bought very large, long pins that look like giant Bobby pins. They made the wig very secure. Just criss cross them at the back and the sides.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We had a wig last year for hh and a few years back for another hh number. Both high energy. The first time we used a skull cap thing (not sure what it's called). It looks like a piece of stocking that you put over your hair. We were told to do pin curls underneath but tgat took too much time so I pulled her hair back into a loose braid and flipped the braid on top of her head and pinned it then put the cap on. The wig goes over the cap and then just pin the heck out of it! I used Bobbi pins that I crossed like an x to lock in place. Last year I did not use the stocking thing and just put wig over her hair (braided and pinned). Wigs stayed in place. Just use a lot of pins. I pin in the very front. Just back from hair line, a few at crown of head, back of head and on both sides.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We've had to do this a lot.  If the color is close to her hair you can sometimes get away without a wig cap, otherwise the wispies will give you away so you'll need the cap.

If her hair is very long, pin curls don't work well.  We do two dutch braids (inside out french braids) and then wrap the length tightly around the head.  You can pin in place or we prefer to sew it in place (ie, hair taping.)  This will distribute the weight evenly and, more important, give the wig something to grip.  Pins are fine but a lot of pins under the cap can get uncomfortable, so we sew when we can.  

It is very helpful to put a couple of criss crossed bobby pins over the ears in the hair, then you can hook the wig pins through that.

At Sally beauty you can buy roller pins (look like giant bobby pins) and wig pins (giant hairpins) both are useful.  With shorter hair accordion headbands under the wig can be useful for getting the wisps up and under.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Is this for a solo/duo or a group number?  If you have a little bit of time, get a wig cap: https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Pack-Netural-Beige-Black/dp/B01LXU0VOZ/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1484775839&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=wig+cap&psc=1

This will help to keep the hair under control under the wig and gives you something to pin the wig to.  Just use bobby pins through the wig (under top layer so it doesn't show) through the wig cap and hair.

Then you can get this: https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Ultra-Hold-5-oz/dp/B001B471HY/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1484775976&sr=1-4&keywords=wig+glue

You only need a drop at the hairline of the wig and on top of the wig cap.  The wig will go nowhere with this.  I wear wigs and I could be in a hurricane and my wig would stay on.

The downside, you will need a alcohol swab to get that glue off your forehead.
Kfish1987

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Use a wig cap. My daughter had a 70's disco tap number. She had a big blond Afro wig. We braided her hair ( which was good because she always had hip hop after). We pinned the front, in front of the ear and behind the ear in "X" formation and it stayed very well. She didn't use half of the pins the other girls used who didn't wear a wig cap.
ScottishDanceMum

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 

I wear a lot of wigs and top pieces in my day to day life - I swear by wig clips.  You stitch them onto the underside of the wig, clip them into the hair, and they will easily withstand a Scottish gale, plus anything else that a dancer might do to them.  Very easy and comfortable.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: