Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We will be attending a KAR regional this season for the first time ever, and looking for some feedback in general on their events. The good and the bad - and what would be helpful to know ahead of time? With so many levels and requirements for placement in levels, I wonder how this will all go. Thanks in advance!
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It's confusing. If you write down the adjudications, they skip all over calling out of order. Also, it's hard to hear the difference between Elite Top First, Top First and First. The judging at the regional that we attended seemed fair, so that was good. Too many levels though, with lots of rules of how a kid should be placed. Example: Elite teen really according to their rules should only be 14 year olds, so you have better 12 year olds that have to compete intermediate because they don't fit in their magic formulation of years of competition after age 7. 
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you! That sums up pretty much what I thought was going to happen… Especially in placement of levels at that exact age group. I worry about the backlash for my dancer, having been forced by the computer to be placed as an intermediate when they are well known in the region as an elite. I don’t believe in dancing down ever - but we have no choice.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvryDayShufflin
Thank you! That sums up pretty much what I thought was going to happen… Especially in placement of levels at that exact age group. I worry about the backlash for my dancer, having been forced by the computer to be placed as an intermediate when they are well known in the region as an elite. I don’t believe in dancing down ever - but we have no choice.

It isn’t leveling down at KAR. The computer puts everywhere where they want them to be. So yeah, it means you’re in a different level than usual, but so is everyone else.

We only compete elite at our school, but when we did KAR we had to dance secondary because that’s how old they were. Ultimately, it didn’t matter.
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Great then! So different from what we are used to glad to hear your experience! Thanks!!! :)
spicyb

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:

How old is your dancer?  Depending on age and your region, you may not find that many dancers in intermediate as that is one of the highest levels at KAR.  You won't find mini's and there likely won't be a lot of juniors.  Minis and juniors will be in either Primary or Secondary.  Intermediate and Elite are mainly teens and seniors with a sprinkle of juniors (in my experience).  After going to KAR regionals for several years and 2 KAR Nationals, I've found that the most competition is actually in the secondary level which is lower than intermediate.  Another member mentioned that they call dance adjudications out of order- which is kind of true, but what they're doing is starting with the lowest score in a category.  For example if there were 10 jazz solos, they'll start with the lowest score and give them a 1st place, then the solos that were middle of the road get a Top 1st (again, starting with the lowest score that got a Top 1st), then your highest scores get an Elite Top 1st in that category. They do this for every category before they do overalls.  I've been to KARs that had so many solos that they did a Top 15 and Top 20. Again, depending on region (my experience was California, Vegas, Colorado), KAR tends to score upbeat dances well- jazz, tap, hip hop.  My daughter's jazz solos and tap solo over the years have all scored well at various KARs.  We were so disappointed to miss it this year.  KAR is one of our favorite comps. Enjoy!
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I have two dancers - one is newly 13 and the other 17. The older one is dancing elite and the 13 year old as intermediate. All of this information is definitely helping to understand the KAR ways! It was very confusing for those of us who are new to this setup - and I’ve been a competition mom for 8 years! [wink] Thank you so much! I feel much better knowing it all balances out in the end, and that you enjoyed the experiences!
spicyb

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
I have two dancers - one is newly 13 and the other 17. The older one is dancing elite and the 13 year old as intermediate. All of this information is definitely helping to understand the KAR ways! It was very confusing for those of us who are new to this setup - and I’ve been a competition mom for 8 years! [wink] Thank you so much! I feel much better knowing it all balances out in the end, and that you enjoyed the experiences!

Given your dancers ages, their placements makes sense.  I don't think there would've been very many elite 12-14 year olds (by KAR's guidelines) for her to compete against, so Intermediate will be good.  There will be plenty of elite seniors for your older daughter. KAR used to have an App so you could see what dances they were on and if they're running on time- but I'm not sure if they have it anymore.  You can also go on their website and enter your email address and they'll send you a free program book to download by the Friday morning of competition.  Good luck and have fun!

Edited to add:  KAR's media package is pretty good and reasonably priced.  If you bring a flash drive, you can download all of your pictures and videos at the competition.
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you - good insight! Love the USB tip as well! :)
Momandmore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Tons of levels and everyone gets first place.  The website shows videos of the overalls so you can take a look at some those and pretty much draw your own conclusions about levels, favoritism etc.
mom24

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 

My one real complaint with KAR:  awards are horrifically difficult to follow because instead of Platinum, High Gold, Silver, etc, they do Elite Top First, Top First, and First.  So when the announcer is racing through the adjudications, they all sound the same.  And your child can be 10th overall with an adjudication of First.  It's like they are being confusing on purpose!

It does feel a bit more fair than other comps in that it is hard for studios to put their elite dancers in easier categories.  The computer automatically calculates a category based on number of years comp experience / hours of dance per week.  Studio owners can manually adjust up and down if necessary, but how many can you adjust without being embarrassed of yourself?  😉  

Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
KAR was one of my DD's favorite competitions.  It ran very smoothly, the awards were weird with the "firsts" but every competition seems to have different ways of saying the same thing lol.  The judging seemed fair and pretty consistent as well.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.