Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ihearttap

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Throughout the day I never saw anyone picked out and asked names so was wondering how the scholarship winners were chosen exactly?
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I was thinking something similar about JUMP this weekend.  I assumed the kids called up on stage by the teachers were going to get the scholarships. 
My DD won a class scholarship and was never called out.  I only saw one of the teachers ever writing anything down. 
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
From what I've seen last year, it looked like all the numbers (names) were picked during their audition. I could be wrong, and it could be just my city thing (always too many kids)… but I've only seen a handful of times teachers writing down in 6 conventions we attended.

During audition, there are 2-3 call backs then final winners. After the names for final winners/outstanding dancers/nonstop dancers, etc. are picked, the kids who made to 2nd or 3rd call backs seemed to be placed in the class scholarships.

One of the conventions, our "ballerinas" got hip hop scholarships and not-so-good-in-ballet kids got ballet scholarships. The moms were in both ballet and hip hop classes and saw nobody writing anything. Also one girl attended the audition day (day 1) and had to miss the second day… she got a scholarship from a class that was only in second day so all the moms figured out.

At another convention, my DD9 (at the time) said the kids from our studio who got class scholarships are the ones who made to second callbacks with her.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We've only been to 4 Jumps over the years but their choices can really raise the hairy eyeball sometimes, as outlined in the previous post.  I decided (for myself and my piece of mind) that they're really quite random.  The best "prize" is coming away feeling that you learned something, did your best, and hopefully made a few new friends.  
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterMommy
We were at a KAR convention in Cincinnati. I never saw anyone asked names or anything. I know a mother was asked her DD's name last year because the mother told us later that KAR got her DD's name that way. I guess if you haven't been asked your child's name before showcase they didn't get it. I do know that the teachers emphasized on exhibiting personality a lot throughout the day to the petites.. I imagine that is a major deciding factor. My own DD will never get a scholarship there. She can't sell you a dance while she's learning it. She has to know the dance very well before she projects any personality at all.. She was completely dead faced during all of it. But that's her personality and our studio doesn't teach the way they were taught yesterday.. It's slow going, tiny pieces learned each week and cleaned as we go.

I wouldn't say never at this point.  I don't know how old your DD is , but I am guessing on the younger side?  Being that she is doing conventions at a young age , over time she will get used to learning choreography quickly.  And as she gets older these experiences can help tremendously in her ability to take direction and pick things up quickly.
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We were just at KAR and it didn't seem like the kids who were being consistently singled out during the day were the ones who got scholarships. My daughter won a KAR convention scholarship at a competition, and I honestly wondered if it was a random draw. DD is super cute but not a standout for technique.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
I was thinking something similar about JUMP this weekend.  I assumed the kids called up on stage by the teachers were going to get the scholarships. 
My DD won a class scholarship and was never called out.  I only saw one of the teachers ever writing anything down. 

Typically, the bulk of the jazz/contemporary class scholarships come out of the audition. If you advance beyond the first round you are pretty much guaranteed one. Even if you don't often times numbers are written down then for scholarships. It's really only hip hop and ballet where you see numbers written down at BTF events [smile]
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves

Typically, the bulk of the jazz/contemporary class scholarships come out of the audition. If you advance beyond the first round you are pretty much guaranteed one. Even if you don't often times numbers are written down then for scholarships. It's really only hip hop and ballet where you see numbers written down at BTF events [smile]

So I could have just asked you that at the event.  [smile]  

Thanks!   She didn't make the first cut so I was wondering how she got selected.  It makes sense that they do it during audition.  Which we didn't see , so I was clueless.  LOL
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterMommy

It was explained to me how these scholarships work. Dancers are selected from their studio, not the entire room. The more dancers brought the more scholarships a studio gets. Having that explained to me helps me have a much better understanding. I still don't expect DD to ever get one, but who knows where she will be next year.. She is a featured dancer this year in a harder level and was placed as far back as possible previously on a lower level.

I've heard about studios giving names for scholarship recipients at some conventions. If that's true for KAR conventions, there's no scholarship opportunities for those independent dancers? It's all about money and business I guess...

dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dornot2d

I've heard about studios giving names for scholarship recipients at some conventions. If that's true for KAR conventions, there's no scholarship opportunities for those independent dancers? It's all about money and business I guess...

[/QUOTE

If that were the case than my dd would never have gotten a scholarship.  She was NOT a studio favorite and there is no way they would have given her name over the studio favs that went to the conventions (and didnt get any scholarships)
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Good to hear that it's not true about KAR. The conventions our studio attends are huge (Break the Floor, NYCDA) and top talents are always the ones who get selected even when they are independent. We've never attended KAR and my DDs are not independent so I've been asking a lot of questions [smile]
Inertiadance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
They ask the studios to send the names of dancers they want scholarships given to and thats how they are selected. Your studio owner is picking who gets them. (Why we stopped going a few years ago)
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiadance
They ask the studios to send the names of dancers they want scholarships given to and thats how they are selected. Your studio owner is picking who gets them. 

I can tell you 100% that my daughter would not get a scholarship over the SO's daughter.  Some conventions may do this but the ones we have attended do not
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncemom01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiadance
They ask the studios to send the names of dancers they want scholarships given to and thats how they are selected. Your studio owner is picking who gets them. 

I can tell you 100% that my daughter would not get a scholarship over the SO's daughter if she were choosing.  Some conventions may do this but the ones we have attended do not
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Break the Floor and NYCDA do not do that. Other than the studio scholarship given to each studio to do with as they please at BTF those scholarships are not picked by SO's.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
No. Last year was the first year we had attended a BTF convention. We also attended the Platinum convention where she also won their version of a scholarship.
Inertiadance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We only ever had that at the KAR convention. (One reason SO stopped attending) As far as I know that doesn't happen at our other conventions. 
Taptaptap

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I'm pretty sure that KAR gives a studio scholarship with every "X" number dancers that attend.  The "genre" scholarships (tap, ballet, etc.) are chosen by the convention instructor.  My daughter was asked to write down her name after class.  And, if you attend on scholarship, you are not eligible to receive any additional scholarships...if you didn't pay to be there, you can't win anything. That may attest to why many of the "good" dancers don't get called out for scholarships.

We're blessed to have received an NYCDA scholarship for several years...the past two years as an independent. They even contacted us after a convention when a scholarship tagged by an instructor went to another kid due to a clerical error...the teacher noticed during the finale that my kid didn't come up to the stage & a few days later I got an email when they figured out the "right girl." 

The Break the Floor folks also give each studio with a minimum number of paid students a scholarship to give to their choice. 
Momof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #19 
KAR scholarships are absolutely picked by the SO. Even if you think your kid isn't a fav that doesn't mean the SO doesn't see potential there or want to encourage them. If you think about it, conventions have more kids than any teacher could possibly be able to evaluate so why not give that judgement call to the people who know the kids best- their attitude, work ethic etc.
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Having been to KAR convention for the past 3 years I have definitely noticed a ratio of scholarships awarded according to size of the studio. It never occurred to me that the SO's could have been doing the hand-picking.  Not shocked about it, though.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.