Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are already planning on sending our daughter to private elementary school in 2016, but now that she is so interested in dance I'd love to find a school that offers dance as a part of the curriculum. Does anyone know of anything in southern New Hampshire or greater Boston? Even the general northeast would be interesting to know of. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-hampshire-academy-of-performing-arts-seabrook

Berricre8v

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Walnut Hill, Natick MA
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Walnut Hill is actually 9-12 (I'm 25 minutes away, dd did an SI there, & I know someone who attends as a residential student).  I'm not aware of anything like that for younger kids in the Greater Boston area.  We don't seem to be big on performing arts "schools" (even the one cynmckee links above is a studio, not a school).  And your dd is very young isn't she?  I'm not sure that there are academic programs w/a dance component anywhere that would serve a child as young as yours.

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The earliest they start PA schools here is in grade 6 and even then there is only one school in our large city for that age group.  For PA high schools we have 2 now that the catholic school opened. 
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
In Philly there is a K-8 charter and they are expanding in to a high school. There is also a public magnet high school that you apply to and if your grades/test scores are high enough, you are invited to audition.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
In Philly there is a K-8 charter and they are expanding in to a high school. There is also a public magnet high school that you apply to and if your grades/test scores are high enough, you are invited to audition.

I googled out of curiosity and even this at school it appears the arts curriculum doesn't start until 5th grade.  Not trying to prove you wrong, just thought I'd clarify.  It would just seem odd to me for a school to offer the arts concentration for children younger than middle school age... but maybe someone else knows of a school that does.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Heidi,
No problem! My daughter didn't attend the k-8, but my understanding is that every student takes a ballet class once a week (and art, music, etc) until 5th grade. Then they declare a '"major ". My daughter also got in to the public magnet (capa), but the program was not ballet based and she didn't like the floors or performance opportunities. She has friends who are more contemporary/jazz or hip hop and they are enjoying the program. Where she is, she gets 4 days of ballet (2hours/day) and 1 day week /2 hours of rotating contemporary/MT. This is in addition to her ballet school, which she attends at night/Saturday (6 days)
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
There is a charter school in my area that calls itself a performing arts school.  Drama, art, music are offered from K up, the "dance" program begins in middle school and they are expanding into high school.  They've had a difficult time retaining arts staff and over time they've become a school with high standardized test scores, pride in the hours of home work they assign daily, and an annual broadway-style musical performance that is rehearsed for an entire year in the drama and music classes as well as after school and then performed each spring at a nearby church.  We're nowhere near Boston, but I wanted to point out that programs like this might exist.  The charter school near me was a performing/fine arts focused k -8 school with excellent academics at one time, before it mutated into it current state. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
Heidi, No problem! My daughter didn't attend the k-8, but my understanding is that every student takes a ballet class once a week (and art, music, etc) until 5th grade. Then they declare a '"major ". My daughter also got in to the public magnet (capa), but the program was not ballet based and she didn't like the floors or performance opportunities. She has friends who are more contemporary/jazz or hip hop and they are enjoying the program. Where she is, she gets 4 days of ballet (2hours/day) and 1 day week /2 hours of rotating contemporary/MT. This is in addition to her ballet school, which she attends at night/Saturday (6 days)

Thanks for clarifying!  When I heard that the OP was looking for a performing arts school for their child (who I believe is 5 btw) I just assumed they are looking for a school that would provide a full dance curriculum complete with performance opportunities as opposed to just a class or two.  When I think of a PA school my mind immediately goes to the movie Fame [smile]  

Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
That's a good suggestion to seek out charter or magnet schools. I believe there is an arts magnet middle school in Lowell, MA. In Bedford, NH there is the Bedford Youth Performing Company that offers pre-school. I have heard about Walnut Hill which will certainly be a consideration if she is on that track at that age. I guess I'm mostly interested because I'm concerned about balancing school/dance and family life once she starts taking more classes next fall. It would be great if she could do some of her classes as part of her normal school day. Oh, and yes, my DD is 5 years old starting kindergarten next year.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Personally I wouldn't be so worried about getting a 5 year old into a special performing arts program.  She's young and really is likely only doing a couple of hours a week of dance.  Taking extra classes during the day at this age is not going to make much difference in the long run.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunafly
That's a good suggestion to seek out charter or magnet schools. I believe there is an arts magnet middle school in Lowell, MA. In Bedford, NH there is the Bedford Youth Performing Company that offers pre-school. I have heard about Walnut Hill which will certainly be a consideration if she is on that track at that age. I guess I'm mostly interested because I'm concerned about balancing school/dance and family life once she starts taking more classes next fall. It would be great if she could do some of her classes as part of her normal school day. Oh, and yes, my DD is 5 years old starting kindergarten next year.

Just an fyi... Walnut Hill is over 50K a year (ouch)

And I have to say... I really wouldn't worry about planning out your 5 yo's dance schedule for the next 10+ years.  You really have no idea if she'll remain interested that long.  Or if she'll show the degree of talent that would make a serious investment in time and money worth your while.  To consider up and moving for a dream that at this point might be more yours than hers?  I don't know... if I were you I'd think long and hard about that one.
Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm actually not really looking that far out at all at this point. My question was specific to elementary programs to help make scheduling easier since my DH and I both work full time, that's all. You're absolutely right in 5 years she could be tossing a lacrosse ball and not dancing at all. FYI - I'm actually in driving distance to Walnut Hill should that day come, so who's moving? 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
I'm actually not really looking that far out at all at this point. My question was specific to elementary programs to help make scheduling easier since my DH and I both work full time, that's all. You're absolutely right in 5 years she could be tossing a lacrosse ball and not dancing at all. FYI - I'm actually in driving distance to Walnut Hill should that day come, so who's moving? 

Ooops.. my apologies.  In your OP you said you were looking in Southern NH or Greater Boston so I assumed you were somewhere close to the border.   I used to live in North Andover and Walnut Hill is over an hour from there.  That said, I was actually thinking you were considering moving now since you were asking for suggestions for a program for elementary school-aged students over such a wide area.  I guess I just can't imagine that it would be any easier to take on a long distance drive to and from your dd's school 5 days a week to avoid driving to a dance studio a couple of times in the afternoon.

Have you actually looked at the schedule at the studios you are considering?  My dd went on Saturday mornings until 1st grade.  Then went on Friday nights until 4th.  You may be thinking that this is going to be more of a commitment/issue than it is.  Unless you're hoping for competition.  But, then again, if you are, a PA program in a school wouldn't really give you what you are looking for as they don't have competition teams.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
There's something else that may be a bit more difficult to even learn about but may exist locally.

Dd's former ballet school had arrangements with some local schools, mostly private schools, to actually teach ballet there. Those parents were basically able to pay for a class that occurred on school grounds. In same cases, it actually happened during school hours instead of a recess. At the public school, it was immediately after school, during after care.  It was primarily younger dancers (8 and under). It was a win-win situation for the ballet school as it provided some additional day time employment for the teachers and a nice number of students would want to continue and move on to the ballet school later on. 

Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:

Ooops.. my apologies.  In your OP you said you were looking in Southern NH or Greater Boston so I assumed you were somewhere close to the border.   I used to live in North Andover and Walnut Hill is over an hour from there.  That said, I was actually thinking you were considering moving now since you were asking for suggestions for a program for elementary school-aged students over such a wide area.  I guess I just can't that it would be any easier to take on a long distance drive to and from your dd's school 5 days a week to avoid driving to a dance studio a couple of times in the afternoon.

Have you actually looked at the schedule at the studios you are considering?  My dd went on Saturday mornings until 1st grade.  Then went on Friday nights until 4th.  You may be thinking that this is going to be more of a commitment/issue than it is.  Unless you're hoping for competition.  But, then again, if you are, a PA program in a school wouldn't really give you what you are looking for as they don't have competition teams.

No worries...I am close to the MA border in So. NH and my work sometimes brings me to Boston. To me anything within an hour or so is worth considering if I could work it into my travels, but that being said Walnut Hill is a little beyond my time horizon (although might be useful for others to know about their program). As far as the region I was just curious what's out there in general and if such a thing even exists. 

This year class is on Saturday. This summer she will be doing 2 classes and then 3 in the fall. They have asked us if we'd be interested in considering dance team, but I want to wait another year (although I'm still on the fence about competition and it's long term benefits vs traditional ballet training, but that's a whole other conversation). I don't want to burn her out. I'll probably look to see what's offered at various after school programs that are available in the area. I know our public schools network to get music lessons brought in. About half of my daughter's class plans to stop dance after this year because they can't make it in during the week which is unfortunate. I'll figure out a way to make it work as long as my DD can tolerate the long days. In the long run, I'm hoping either my DH or I can cut back to part time. Whether she does dance or something else it would be much easier to coordinate after school if one of us got out of work earlier. I don't know how parents with multiple kids in multiple activities manage it otherwise!
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Locally we have a few schools that have either an after school dance program or some during the day have a local studio instructor come in to teach class. It's an extra charge and not at all the focus at the schools. There is a preforming arts high school, but nothing else serious before then. I think the idea is that they are able to try different things before committing. My girl has loved dance since before Kinder, but I couldn't imagine sending her to a school that young that has a dance focus system

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
This thread is 2 years old.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Why does it matter if it is an old thread?  DancingEmu is a new member.

LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
DD's Montessori school offers recreactional ballet, rhythmic gymnastic, karate, cooking club etc as an after school program. She actually learnt things like bridge walk and cartwheel at the RG class. Quite a number of kids joined the competition world after. It was a nice experience.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
Why does it matter if it is an old thread?  DancingEmu is a new member.

I just find it odd that people answer questions on threads that are this old. I feel like new members don't often notice just how old the thread is. Just my opinion.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

I just find it odd that people answer questions on threads that are this old. I feel like new members don't often notice just how old the thread is. Just my opinion.

I get that sometimes I don't catch the date on things either. But also I can't count how many times I've seen someone respond with "This has been discussed before.  Go look it up"
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

Well especially when people are responding to a request for specific information.  How likely this hasn't been resolved for the OP?  I am guessing zero.
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
As long as the newbie doesn't get offended that the OP doesn't respond I don't think responding to old threads matters. And it's a great way to shift down the threads that are overworked or have people getting aggressive or unpleasant on - I tend not to look past the first page of latest topics.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.