Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So… I signed up my DD10 thinking this would be a great first audition experience. She did ballet audition 2 weeks ago and we got this email saying she's been accepted into the following programs. I only checked Joffrey LA West since we have family there but the results listed other locations/programs I didn't select.

Anybody has experience or opinions? Both our ballet mistress and SO don't think Joffrey is good... I heard everyone is accepted, but where you get accepted is more important.

Below is what I got. TIA!

---------------------------------------------------------
NYC Ballet Intensive - Intensive Track

Joffrey San Francisco
Joffrey Denver

Joffrey South Intensive
Character Dance Intensive

Joffrey LA West

Joffrey Miami

NY Broadway
LA Broadway

Summer of Bollywood
----------------------------------

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think it means they have a lot of spots to fill.  If you want Joffrey LA West, have her go to that one.  They are not selective, however, your dd is young and it would probably be a fun first SI. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
There's little to analyze with their programs. I take it she is younger. She could have been selected for the junior ballet SI, the intensive track or the performance track if she is 14 or under. So, she did just fine.

Joffrey does this all the time. It really doesn't matter what you pick. They will accept you everywhere you are eligible for, based on your audition and your age. 

I posted elsewhere that dd did 2 weeks with Joffrey as a first away program. It was a great experience for her, but not one she would repeat. They seem a bit disorganized but part of that is this is a HUGE program and not really that big of a year round program in comparison. Not necessarily huge as far as class size, but SOOOO many programs, each with many levels. The instruction dd experienced was quite good, far better than she expected going in. 
spicyb

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
You can attend any of the programs that Joffrey has listed for you on the acceptance.  I posted a few times about our experience with Joffrey.  My daughter did the Joffrey West Jazz and Contemporary program in LA last summer for 2 weeks.  Although it's not very selective, my 10 year old thought it was a great 1st Summer Intensive Experience.  It was organized and there was always chaperones to get the kids to the various classes because the intensive is on Cal State Northridge's campus which is huge. My daughter felt challenged in the ballet and contemporary classes and came home tired and sore each day.  She also had classes that she wouldn't get at her home studio such as Chinese and African.  Chehon from SYTYCD was her teacher for several of the Contemporary and Contemporary ballet classes.  My daughter enjoyed the experience and would go back.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was having to buy the Joffrey clothes to wear to class, but I get that they want the kids to look uniform.  You have to purchase leotards, booty shorts, and shirts from the Tites Boutique. Closer to the start of the intensive, the clothes will go on sale and you can buy them in bundles.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Joffrey has so many different programs. DD has auditioned twice and both times been accepted to programs we didn't check off. Last year she was accepted into their tap intensive. That would have been interesting as dd doesn't even tap. This year she was accepted into 21 different intensives and 2 trainee programs for Joffrey. Your dd can go to any program on her acceptance email. DD has never attended, so I don't have any information about the specific programs.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you everyone for your detailed info! It was a different experience to prepare for SI auditions… first Arabesque photos and jump photos [smile]

Sounds like it would be a similar experience to Dancerpalooza workshops. Fun but open to mass… Francisco Gella's Aria might be another option then.

I'm still waiting for Jazz/Contemporary result that my DD this last weekend. The auditioner told the kids that everyone will be accepted… so I should expect similar email in 2 weeks.

ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
If everyone is accepted the audition process must be just a money funnel.

Did you DD enjoy the class?  Feel like she got something out of it?

My daughter would like to audition but is extremely unlikely to go.  If we had the funds, she'd go to a ballet intensive.  I don't have a problem with a $40 master class if there is something worthwhile to gain from it.

Did the dancers dress differently because it was a jazz audition?  DD has a few pair of tan tights somewhere, but her current jazz shoes are black, because that was requested at the summer ballet program she went to last year for some reason.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
If everyone is accepted the audition process must be just a money funnel.

Did you DD enjoy the class?  Feel like she got something out of it?

My daughter would like to audition but is extremely unlikely to go.  If we had the funds, she'd go to a ballet intensive.  I don't have a problem with a $40 master class if there is something worthwhile to gain from it.

Did the dancers dress differently because it was a jazz audition?  DD has a few pair of tan tights somewhere, but her current jazz shoes are black, because that was requested at the summer ballet program she went to last year for some reason.

I've heard some say that they use the audition for placement.  

Although I will say that dd did their MT audition in NYC a few weekends ago and that was one heck of an audition class.  They worked those kids.  It was definitely more like a master class and well worth the cost.  Not sure if all their auditions are like that but I left thinking that the program would likely be well worth her while if that audition was any indication of what the SI would be like.  

2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
ggsmith,

Yes, that's what my DD's ballet teacher has been telling me. Some SIs are more about money making than training, that my DD10 would not get enough corrections in a class of 36 girls mostly older than her (age 10-13. Not a blanket statement. I'm sure there's some good ones out there when my DD is old enough) My DD's ballet teacher went to a ballet boarding school when she was young and she is a very good teacher.

My DD said both auditions (ballet and Jazz/contemporary) were hard. In our city everyone was in a single audition room so she learned and danced with older kids. Some looked like high school kids. I think it was a great master class for 1.5 hour.

Ballet audition:
I told her not to wear pointe shoes as she is a beginner but she wore them during the pointe part of the audition (15 min). She said there were kids smaller than her on pointe, and not fully on the box so she didn't feel bad about herself auditioning on pointe… There were some combos that she didn't know the names of the technique, but she quickly learned from the groups that went before her. They were not grouped by age or level. It was by the number.

Jazz audition:
My DD brought her dance bag with all shoes to the audition but she only wore jazz shoes. Kids who were in ballet audition kept on what they were wearing. We didn't do both on the same day due to our conflicts, but most do them back to back. In this order : Ballet-Jazz-Musical Theater-Tap

WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO THE AUDITION?
Students auditioning for a ballet program, please bring a 5 x 7 picture in 1st arabesque to the audition. Please wear pink tights and ballet shoes and a leotard of any color. Students on pointe should bring their pointe shoes. Boys wear black tights and a white or black t-shirt.
Students auditioning for a jazz & contemporary program, please bring a 5 x 7 picture of the student jumping with your face visible to the audition. Please wear a leotard and either tights or shorts, and bring both ballet and jazz shoes or sneakers.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
People who attended Joffrey Jazz/Contemporary last year in our area said they had a placement class on day 1, and it was very very hard.

I was not seriously considering Joffrey but I'm torn now. If the classes are run like the audition, it might still be worth trying.
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My daughter (12) did the ballet audition a few weeks ago and said it was a very good (challenging) class.  She said the instructor was a little intense but nice.  She enjoyed it.
We are looking at this as a first away intensive just for one week.
Yes, we knew going in that everyone under age 14 is accepted and that day one will be a placement class.
She has never been away before so I thought this would be a good first experience for her.

ETA:  We are considering the GA location.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Seems like you may want to first think about what you want them to get out of the experience. I've heard mixed things about Joffrey. For older kids a class of 36 isn't such a big deal, but if you want corrections, seems hard for an under 13 to get better with few corrections in a class that big. I would think that there are some other option more worth the money. The whole "you have to buy our specific leo" is a real turn off for me. I can't think of any other summer programs that insist on that.
BalletDad

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My daughter went to Joffrey in New York for two summers. I think it is a good first overnight intensive. They did a good job of acclimating the students to dormitory life.

The first year she was in the intensive track and the second year she was in the performance track. She said there is a definite difference and the higher level performance track students are very good. I think Joffrey may not be selective in who it accepts, but from my daughter's feedback it is very selective in how students are placed.

NYC is a huge operation, but I have a friend whose daughter attended LA and had a very good experience. It sounded like LA is smaller and provide more personal attention.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Here is my take on Joffrey, understand that DD has never actually attended their program though.

The audition class(es) (she has auditioned for ballet and jazz) are some of the best she has ever done. The teachers TEACH. DD did a "3 letter" school last year and came out fuming, she was so disappointed. In her words, the teacher (a very famous artistic director) "just talked about himself" and "he thought we were all so lucky, to be taking class from him, but he didn't actually teach anyone anything". This SI is difficult to get into, where Joffrey would be poo-poohed as easy, but dds opinion is that it is sometimes smoke and mirrors. or at least from the audition class (where supposedly you are also choosing them, not just them choosing you) there are big name schools with terrible teachers, no attention to anyone, wasted time talking about how awesome the AD is, and small schools (or maligned schools) who give fantastic classes, send attentive, knowledgeable teachers, and really sell themselves as a place you can learn. It is her opinion that Joffrey (based on the audition classes she has done) has knowledgeable, caring teachers who teach everyone- and that can be not so true in other programs, even if they accept you they may ignore you for reasons like body type. DD figures ain't nobody got time for that, and even though she has been accepted by those programs has not been. It is at the end all about training, and what your dancer can gain from which environment.

Don't toss out a program if your dancer meshed with the audition class, and dont be starry eyed by a big name program who may ignore your dancer. It is all about the training in the end!

Bollywood sounds SO cool. I need to win the lottery so I can send DD...
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Thank you! You are all so helpful! I appreciate all the information I can get. 

This summer, my DD10 has:

The Dance Award 3 day workshop and the best dancer audition day (not a chance, but I take it as another day of learning).
Regular classes until end of July.
One week SI in August at our home studio (all genre)

One possible option is the Dancerpalooza's Aria, ballet Intensive with Francisco Gella. No audition, no deposit in Spring. About $800 for 5 day classes and performance. It's the first week of August in LA.

Although we are a comp studio, we have kids (mostly age 12-14 range) who have or planning to attend Bolshoi, Kirov, ABT, SAB and other respected summer intensives. I don't think I will send my DD to a dorm-stay intensives this year. My options are Joffrey ballet in LA (grand parents') or Joffrey Southwest Jazz/contemporary with Desmond Richardson (about 25 miles from our house). I heard good things about the J Southwest jazz program and a few kids from our studio attend every year. I'm not sure if I'm committed enough to pay $300 next month. The ballet teacher says ballet private classes are more effective for my DD… and I agree a little. 

None of this extra may not happen as my hubby is pushing me to save more money toward um, college fund [biggrin]

I think the audition class alone was worth the fee. And I will never toss out any programs before I know more about it. Thank you again!

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
FYI, you said your daughter is doing the Dance Awards Best Dancer program? If so, her scholarship also includes $250 off Dancerpalooza. If you don't have the scholarship for The Dance Awards you can't audition for Best Dancer. 
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
You've gotten good feedback. I'll reiterate what others have said. DD, ballet dancer, didn't attend but several friends did when they were 13 and had a great time (3 years ago). While they are money makers, they do seem to employ great teachers and the dancers seem to have a well-rounded dance experience while there. One of DD's friends attended the CA contemporary (I think?) program as a 14 year old and loved it, went back the next year too. She had some amazing and famous choreographers at that SI who worked with the kids for the performance. The rest of DD's friends did a more ballet oriented one in NYC.

Good luck with your decision. At 10, I think she'd have fun and get solid instruction for her level from what DD's friends experienced at their Joffrey SIs.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
FYI, you said your daughter is doing the Dance Awards Best Dancer program? If so, her scholarship also includes $250 off Dancerpalooza. If you don't have the scholarship for The Dance Awards you can't audition for Best Dancer. 

That's right! I forget about the extra scholarship paper!!!
It brings down the cost a little bit! 

Thank you for the reminder!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
This thread is the most helpful feedback regarding Joffrey SI!
I love you all [love]
kyrical2

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Who knows about "team colors?"  What level do they represent?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Sounds like they may have changed their level system again, if you are taking about the NYC ballet program. They used choreographer names for levels and, from what I understand, changed them up so that a certain name was a different level in another year. Kids always figure out which is the highest and lowest levels no matter what they are called! Nevertheless, it is important to remember that the level does not matter as long as you are where you need to be. Often that is a slower moving level than the student might be used to, in order to slow down and work on finding finessing clean technique. This is not just in ballet, but all genres!
Emmie46

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
What about Joffrey Chicago?
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie46
What about Joffrey Chicago?

From what I heard, they are not the same school/business... and people said they are the "good Joffrey".

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dornot2d

From what I heard, they are not the same school/business... and people said they are the "good Joffrey".

The Chicago Joffrey is the school associated w/the professional company which had it's start in nyc but moved maybe 10 yrs or so ago.  They are no longer affiliated w/the school in nyc.  As far as good vs bad... I'm at a point now where I believe that distinction is all too often just an example of the elitism that seems to run rampant in many of the minds of those who/whose dancers are pursuing ballet (as well as society in general when it comes to education, career opportunities, etc.). Company affiliated = must be good.   Non company affiliated = probably not as good as it could/should be.  The "worst" thing about the nyc school perhaps is that it's not super selective... in other words it offers a wider variety of opportunities to a wider variety of dancers.  But is that really a bad thing?  Does it mean it can't provide an excellent training opportunity for a hard working, talented dancer?  Not necessarily.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Off topic but I see our "friend" the thumbs downer is back.  [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: