Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
We are going to Showstopper in Anaheim. Solo only.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamquint1
We're taking solos only to both Starquest and Symposium in February. Our first comp with groups and solos is Masquerade in March

You must be in Iowa!

Have you ever gone to Starquest before? After the death of my dad 2 1/2 weeks ago, I'd really like my mom to be able to see my daughter dance. She lives in Houston and is in a wheelchair, so traveling here is near impossible. Starquest has a nationals in Galveston, so I'm curious about taking her to Davenport. (Need to check show choir conflicts)
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

We'll be at Energy in May! I'm looking into Platinum as an optional for her solo only. Otherwise we'll be at Precision Arts in March, Legacy in Grand Rapids and Groove in Toledo both in April. Nationals is either Groove or Energy. 

Production rehearsal just started before the break and my daughter made the group this year so I'm SUPER excited to see what they do. Inside Out won "The Jam" at nationals over the summer so there's a lot of pressure to make it just as great. 

Hooray! That is exciting! Good for your DD! The choreo was so cool and organized and creative! Can’t wait to see it! Maybe I will see you there! Would love to say hi! Lol
Platinum is always a great experience, maybe I will see you there too! πŸ˜ƒ
jamquint1

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jule425

You must be in Iowa!

Have you ever gone to Starquest before? After the death of my dad 2 1/2 weeks ago, I'd really like my mom to be able to see my daughter dance. She lives in Houston and is in a wheelchair, so traveling here is near impossible. Starquest has a nationals in Galveston, so I'm curious about taking her to Davenport. (Need to check show choir conflicts)

Yes, we went to Starquest in Davenport last year. Honestly, I can't even tell you if it was a good comp or not because it was our very first competition. I was just trying to make sure hair, makeup, costume happened the way it needed to. I do not remember it being a bad experience, though. 

However, we just found out that we are NOT going to Starquest this year because it is full. So, unfortunately, that won't be an option for your dancer. 

Are you in Iowa as well?

jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:

Yes, we went to Starquest in Davenport last year. Honestly, I can't even tell you if it was a good comp or not because it was our very first competition. I was just trying to make sure hair, makeup, costume happened the way it needed to. I do not remember it being a bad experience, though. 

However, we just found out that we are NOT going to Starquest this year because it is full. So, unfortunately, that won't be an option for your dancer. 

Are you in Iowa as well?

I am. We're in the DSM metro. Lived in the QC for a few years before relocating here nearly 10 years ago. I checked the dates, and we have a show choir competition that weekend, so it wouldn't have worked. Show choir is HUGE here in central Iowa, and our school has one of the top ranked programs in the country. My older daughter is involved with that so, I have to plan my weekends January-February around show choir and dance comps. lol

I remember my daughter's first competition. She had just turned 7 and I had no idea what I'd gotten myself into. She LOVED it, and still does at almost 13, so I do everything I can for her to do what she loves.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydancemom
Phx115, I'll be interested to hear how Turn it Up goes. We're going for the first time, and I have heard really mixed reviews. DD is a great technical dancer, but not a showman, and I have heard they value showmanship FAR more than technique. (People have been shocked at overalls with the outcomes, it's that bad. Read some reviews at dancecompetitionhub.) 

We have our first comp in Feb. DD is excited, but I am frustrated. I'll leave it at that.

We did TIU regionals and Nationals do the 1st time last year. The format is not like traditional comps since everything is mixed together like you can have a mini solo followed by a senior group followed by a junior duet etc. It can make or a long weekend. Plus while they do adjudications and judges awards throughout the weekend, all overalls are on Sunday. So you can do your solo on Fri night and not know if you placed until Sun. That said, they ran on time to the minute every day which was great. They only handed out 2 of the highest adjudication all weekend (at regionals, more at nationals). I think you will see some headscratchers at most comps as far as scoring goes and while f course technique is important, performance is also important. I thought the judging was pretty fair though at nationals it seemed they scored more conservative beginning of the week and on the last day gave out a ridiculous amount of highest adjudications. I really liked the judges awards, each huge rewarded a few and talked about the dance and what they loved about it. They talked to the kids and had their back to us which was weird but I liked how they spoke to the dancers. Overall we had a good experience and doing it again this year.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
We're taking solos only to both Starquest and Symposium in February. Our first comp with groups and solos is Masquerade in March

Bummer.  We were going to take DDs solos again to Starquest in Davenport, but it conflicts with NYCDA.  We'd rather be at Starquest!

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2

We did TIU regionals and Nationals do the 1st time last year.

Which Nationals? We almost went to Ocean City last year. No clue what Nationals plan is for this year yet.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD

Which Nationals? We almost went to Ocean City last year. No clue what Nationals plan is for this year yet.

We did the nationals in Long Branch, NJ. Was a fun week, great location but $$$. Dressing room space was also lacking but overall it was good.
EvryDayShufflin

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydancemom
Phx115, I'll be interested to hear how Turn it Up goes. We're going for the first time, and I have heard really mixed reviews. DD is a great technical dancer, but not a showman, and I have heard they value showmanship FAR more than technique. (People have been shocked at overalls with the outcomes, it's that bad. Read some reviews at dancecompetitionhub.) 

We love TIU – and even have attended without our studio at times when there were studio conflicts. One of my kids was a National title holder a couple years ago and we really got to know the staff. It is exceptionally well run and definitely technique-based judging. But performance is an equally important element as well in scoring – so you def need to have both.
jamquint1

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jule425

I am. We're in the DSM metro. Lived in the QC for a few years before relocating here nearly 10 years ago. I checked the dates, and we have a show choir competition that weekend, so it wouldn't have worked. Show choir is HUGE here in central Iowa, and our school has one of the top ranked programs in the country. My older daughter is involved with that so, I have to plan my weekends January-February around show choir and dance comps. lol

I remember my daughter's first competition. She had just turned 7 and I had no idea what I'd gotten myself into. She LOVED it, and still does at almost 13, so I do everything I can for her to do what she loves.

Yes, yes, we somehow got sucked in as well. But she loves it, so we do it. 
What comps are you attending this year?
jamquint1

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie

Bummer.  We were going to take DDs solos again to Starquest in Davenport, but it conflicts with NYCDA.  We'd rather be at Starquest!

Tell me more about why you'd rather be at Starquest than NYCDA?
dancemomemily

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie

Why would you rather be at Starquest than NYCDA? My girls and I love NYCDA! I'm curious as to what your negative thoughts on it are.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Well, I don't know.  

Hard to explain...

1) DD hates conventions.  She is a perfectionist and a very technical dancer, and the "learn combos quick and act like this is an audition" thing has never been her thing.  She loves competitions, and does well in that venue.  Except YAGP...that's a whole 'nuther thread.

2) NYCDA is an interesting breed.  One year she is a runner up for the scholarship audition, and the next she places 7th as a 13 year old in the very competitive teen comp, but goes nowhere for scholarships.  It frustrates her.

3) In our city we have several "NYCDA groupies" who go to multiple towns, learn the combos and seem to have an "edge" by the time they get to us.  

Spare me the "she shouldn't be going into it for recognition/scholarships, etc."  She loves dance, but loves competing even more than she loves dance.  These are just her feelings and her personal preferences.

Plus we have $$ to spend on entry feels at SQ because she did so well at Nationals...so there is that![rofl]
butterhead

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #40 
We're doing StarQuest in February--can't believe the season is just about here!
prettyprissy15

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #41 
My studio is doing NRG in DC, Velocity in Myrtle Beach, SC, and Encore in Rocky Mount, NC! February is full, but only one of the 3 competitions were mandatory for everyone! The other two were optional.
barekdance

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Had Jump this past weekend in Chicago. We will do Radix and LADM and my kid will do Monsters but not the entire studio, just her and one of the other dancers who enjoy hip hop.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
I haven't even heard of that competition before; did you go and did you like it?  
barekdance

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #44 
@joriebelle which one?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Intrigue?
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Nuvo beginning of February
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.