Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
One of DD8 approved classes for summer is a jumps and turns. She hasn't taken this type of class before and I was thinking it might be helpful. Thoughts? Has anyone's dancer taken a class like this? Would it be a good class for an 8 1/2 year old?
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I would definitely recommend it.  DD's last studio didn't have it.  Her 1st studio didn't teach turns until kids were older. So at 11, DD wasn't a turner.  Her next studio taught turns much earlier so her group was way ahead of her and she had no way of catching up.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD has done a summer jumps and turns class at her studio. It was fine. She liked it. I don't think it helped her improve one bit, but it did keep her moving over the summer.

But I likely depends on how many girls are in the class and who is teaching it. At our school, the summer classes are pretty big (20 or so kids) and so you spend a lot of time just kind of waiting for your turn. No pun intended.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
My dd started at about 10. I didn't know about the class. It was open to everyone but only comp dancers took advantage.
My dd is NOT a natural turner. I think it's because she's back bendy and her core is loosey goosey. At the old studio she was kind of written off as the kid that can't turn. At the new studio they have actually taken the time to work with her and her turns have gotten soooo much better. She will never be the go to turner but she can hold her own now.
So yes, I would have my dancer take advantage of the class.

Don't give up hope! My older dd had that really bendy back around that age and struggled with core and pulling up in her turns. Now at 15 she is a great turner. Granted she is not as bendy after some growth spurts but now turning is a strong suit for her.
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think about the class size. It could quite possibly be that big. Looking at the options for her level for summer classes, there's not much. Most are in the afternoon while DH and I are still at work.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe14
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think about the class size. It could quite possibly be that big. Looking at the options for her level for summer classes, there's not much. Most are in the afternoon while DH and I are still at work.

Maybe you could trade off with another family. I do this for Girl Scouts. The other mom does drop off, I take both girls home. (I get the better end of the deal, though, because she feeds my DD dinner before the meeting. [smile] )

If someone offered to drive my kid home after dance, I'd jump at the chance!
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My DD8 has a bendy back but her turns are fine? I think it's due to having a strong core/balance because she also does acro and aerial, though. Leaps and turns helps her a lot, actually. In her leaps, she kind of hovers in the air now, and her turnout in her leaps AND her turns has much improved. See if you can car pool/sitter share. That's what we do. 
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I think a lot depends on what they will expect from a young dancer and what they will be teaching.  For ballet dancers the serious training is only just beginning about age 7 or 8, so jumps and serious turns aren't normally covered.  On the other hand, if the class will take care of fundamental elements of turns and jetes, then it would be worthwhile for her. There is a lot that goes into the preparation, leap, and landing of almost any real jete turning combination.  Ask the teacher. Then take your own dd's abilities, how long she's been dancing (which I don't know) and how the class would help her.  The teacher should be the one to fill you in.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think I would first ask what a sample schedule would be for the year. I wouldn't want to waste my time getting her there plus my money paying for it. Maybe asking a few moms from the studio if they have noticed an improvement with that class.

Dd13 has never taken a turning class. She did a technique class at a kbm talent workshop. And a few drop ins at yycdp classes that did a bunch of across the floor work including turns.

What I liked about the classes was that it focused on the prep work, getting up high on releve and holding it, spotting and landing clean singles etc before moving on.
For jumps and turns its a lot about the proper technique, building strength and focusing on specific muscles. So pretty much ballet. Dd is a wonderful turner who can spin for days, never taking a real spinning class. Actually everyone at the studio can turn amazing! They don't offer the class but the strength is put into their ballet class, so when they try, they just do it.

Eta. One dance I have seen, there was a dancer who did a triple, maybe even a quadruple, but he didn't hold his shoulders down, his arms were crooked, and he didn't spot. So he practiced enough to get the balance to hold him self solid, but not the proper technique to ever take it further. I would just make sure I wasn't paying for that class! Lol. But a real learning of proper prep class would be awesome.
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne4379
I think a lot depends on what they will expect from a young dancer and what they will be teaching.  For ballet dancers the serious training is only just beginning about age 7 or 8, so jumps and serious turns aren't normally covered.  On the other hand, if the class will take care of fundamental elements of turns and jetes, then it would be worthwhile for her. There is a lot that goes into the preparation, leap, and landing of almost any real jete turning combination.  Ask the teacher. Then take your own dd's abilities, how long she's been dancing (which I don't know) and how the class would help her.  The teacher should be the one to fill you in.

I think we've figured out a plan to get DD to summer class. Yea! I don't know who will be teaching the class, but I can ask her ballet teacher.

She has been dancing since the age of 3, but up until this year it was only 1 or 2 classes per week. This year she moved up and the students in her classes are all 8 and up. The jumps and turns class is not a multi-level or age based as some of the summer classes can be. It is specific to her level and considering they are just beginning real ballet I didn't see it going beyond what was taught in class during the year. It would be good to have that confirmed, though.
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Sounds like a good plan.  Find out what the whole design, curriculum and approach is going to be.  Spending the summer getting the basics down pat will help her immensely. Don't be surprised if it looks like they are doing little to nothing.  a solid jete and or turn takes many steps to execute well.  Also, building the muscle strength, alignment and so much more will stand her in good stead in years to come.  Good for you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: