Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacedmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissisMomLvsDance
This is the reason why my daughter happens to be sick every Friday that we are competing (wink, wink, nod, nod). I have found it is MUCH easier to simply lie about her status. I know that sends a horrible message to my daughter (so please spare me the lectures), but it insures that she is given the chance to make up work, even tests.

Believe me, we have been competing for the past 9 years (since she was 5) and I am a girl scout at heart so I started out doing the right thing. As soon as the comp schedule was fixed I would send a letter to my child's teacher and the principal letting them know what days she would be missing and ask that all work be done in advance so that disruptions could be minimal. In elementary school most of her teachers were fine with this arrangement. When she hit middle school and suddenly had 6 different teachers everything changed. Some flat out refused to work with us. So if they play games so can I. I know they won't challenge a single day missed due to illness and who is to say she didn't wake up with an upset stomach? Problem solved.

In regards to my post above about my then 8th grader missing school due to a family trip, I completely agree with you.  We/she would have been better off if I had simply called every day to say she was sick.

If she missed 4 days, would she have been able to return to school without a doctors note? This is the problem we have in our district. If you are out for 3 days or more, you must provide a doctors note to be able to go back to school! Luckily I work for a doctor, but how would that work if you said your child was sick, they weren't, and you were on vacay for 5 days? FWIW, any time my kids miss school, no matter the real reason, they are called in sick.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissisMomLvsDance
This is the reason why my daughter happens to be sick every Friday that we are competing (wink, wink, nod, nod). I have found it is MUCH easier to simply lie about her status. I know that sends a horrible message to my daughter (so please spare me the lectures), but it insures that she is given the chance to make up work, even tests.

Believe me, we have been competing for the past 9 years (since she was 5) and I am a girl scout at heart so I started out doing the right thing. As soon as the comp schedule was fixed I would send a letter to my child's teacher and the principal letting them know what days she would be missing and ask that all work be done in advance so that disruptions could be minimal. In elementary school most of her teachers were fine with this arrangement. When she hit middle school and suddenly had 6 different teachers everything changed. Some flat out refused to work with us. So if they play games so can I. I know they won't challenge a single day missed due to illness and who is to say she didn't wake up with an upset stomach? Problem solved.

Are you ever asked to provide a doctors note?
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I will say this is not just a problem for dancers, lots of other kids activities also take away from school time.  My son is in competitive lacrosse - and yes there are tournaments during the school year that start on a Thursday or Friday.  I know kids in other sports as well that do the occasional day(s) to attend events.  We as dance parents are not alone. 

My DD has only been to 3 NUVO events ever, but I do know that they do frequently post that a comp is "sold out" and not allow you to register - so there is some sort of limit.  I do agree though that either the stages need to be "higher up" or maybe the use of some sort of TV monitor but even when I stood up I couldn't see the instructors feet.  In either venue this year.  And that was the mini room...  However, that is not the most crowed convention we have ever been too...
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
This post is 4 years old...

DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
My DD has competed at both Nuvo, Jump and 24 Seven several times over the years, and I couldn't agree more about the lack of space issue. She was at Nuvo Toronto in December and she was totally overwhelmed by the amount of dancers in the room. She is used to busy conventions with top notch kids, but she found Nuvo almost unbearable. She felt like she was dancing on top of people and that others were dancing on top of her. She was super afraid of accidentally kicking someone or being kicked, etc. She did receive a Breakout Artist runner up scholarship, so we will be attending The Dance Awards in July, but after that we may be taking a break from BTF's events. I, too agree that there should be limited spaces. It is too hard to see, concentrate and do your best when you are packed in a room with hundreds of other dancers all piled up on top of one another! [rolleyes]

As for the missing school issue, many competitions are scheduled from Thursday to Sunday (Canadian and US comps - We are from Ottawa, but compete in both Canada and the US), and DD used to miss quite a bit of school during competition season. Now that she is older (and independent), she does not compete nearly as much by choice. She was having a difficult time staying caught up (in elementary she had an easier time catching up missed school days) and decided that she will only compete at certain comps (her favourites) and not as often. 
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
This post is 4 years old...

WHOOPS!
nodrama15

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
My daughters have been competing for 4 years.  I have only had to pull out early on a Friday for a 4:00 pm start.  We took a family vacation during school this year, and I emailed the schools that the kids would be missing 3 days due to a family commitment.  These absences were marked a unexcused.  Not that it means anything, but in the future, I will just call them out sick. 
Overloaded

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #33 
We avoided break the floor conventions this year for that exact reason. They have gotten too greedy and there is very little gained from attending. It's really a shame too because they have amazing teachers
AnnaBeav

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
We had a space problem with NRG and Fluid. At NRG they had the kids do cartwheels during a routine. One girl got a bloody nose from getting kicked. It was ridiculous to do big moves when the kids were packed in. At Fluid the space was so tight they had to remove the chairs against the walls to get a few more feet of space. I hate how crowded it is and then the instructors complain the kids "aren't going all out or giving it their all." The kids can't see the instructors so how can they learn?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.