Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
highplatinum

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This year both Jump and Nuvo have scheduled solos to run ALL DAY Friday.  If kids want to compete they have to skip school and parents have to take the day off.  I'm so disgusted at the message this is sending dancers - "if you want to dance, forget your education."   Both Jump & Nuvo are competitions AND conventions.  Dancers are there to compete but also to take classes and learn something.  They're booking as many dances as a Rainbow or a Thunderstruck-style competition, and expecting these kids to take classes all day starting at 8am, and then be up past midnight competing.  Why?  So that they can make more money.  Then the classrooms are packed with hundreds upon hundreds of other dancers, they can barely move, let alone see or be seen.  It's a sad trend - kids should skip school and sacrifice their health all in the name of dance.  What can we as dance parents do?  

classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Vote with your dollars and feet.   That's what you can do.

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Here in Ontario almost all competitions run Thursday to Sunday.  So kids miss either one or two days, depending on their number of routines and when they fall in the schedule.  It's something we're used to.  The kids take their schoolwork with them. 
sillysue

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree, and I would post your feedback on the dance competition hub feedback page. We've been to JUMP before, and the quality of the classes was amazing, but the rooms were just too packed to really be able to learn anything.  They were squished like sardines and couldn't execute the moves, or were in the back, and couldn't really see/feel engaged. A couple of kids were injured from getting kicked bc it was so packed. [frown] We didn't have Friday dances, but that would upset me.  School is the priority. 
PickyPotter

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickyPotter
I hate hate how crowded they have gotten, but I do like they will give your money back if you are scheduled before 4:00 pm.

[fridaycompetition]IMPORTANT: If there are too many entries to compete all the routines on Saturday, anyone registering for a solo or duo/trio must be available to perform on Fridays after 4pm. If JUMP decides to schedule any solos or duo/trios before 4pm on Friday and a routine decides not to perform, JUMP will provide a full refund. In a few rare circumstances, there might be Mini and/or Jr. Group Competition on Friday between 4-8pm. If this happens, we will do our best to notify the studio at least two weeks prior. There will NEVER be Mini or Junior Group Competition on Friday before 4pm
dancemomelle

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have been to couple this year that have started on Friday..Particularly annoying if they are out of town so that instead of my daughter missing one day of school, she misses two because of the travel.
They need to start limiting entries or holding dances on two stages. It is hard for the kids starting at 8am and going to late at night.
poptart

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'll never go to Jump Convention again. We went for the first time this year and it was unbearably crowded. Yes, the choreographers were great. Too bad they couldn't be seen from most of the floor. If your child isn't tall, forget it. Money hungry. That was money and a weekend wasted.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Here in Ontario almost all competitions run Thursday to Sunday.  So kids miss either one or two days, depending on their number of routines and when they fall in the schedule.  It's something we're used to.  The kids take their schoolwork with them. 

Exactly what I was going to say.  DS has missed tons of school for competitions/rehearsals/dance exams.  We are just used to it and as long as he maintained his grades it was no big deal.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Quote:

Exactly what I was going to say.  DS has missed tons of school for competitions/rehearsals/dance exams.  We are just used to it and as long as he maintained his grades it was no big deal.

Unfortunately, many schools in the US don't have the perspective that this is a valuable use of students' time.  In many districts, absences of this sort would be seen as unexcused, and make-up work would not be allowed.  In my district, this is the "official" policy, but the enforcement of the policy really varies school-to-school. There is sadly not much acknowledgement that a great deal of learning happens outside the classroom, and so these events are not seen as worthwhile on a district level. This creates a real problem for parents of students in schools with this outlook: do they allow their child to risk 0% grades on the day's assignments, or pull them from the competition? No easy answers. I am a teacher in the district in which my children attend school.  And I think the zero tolerance policy on absences is ridiculous. As a teacher, I try to work around it with my own students. But I do understand that my own children's teachers may not be able or willing to do so. We haven't personally attended a comp yet where this has been an issue.  But I can't say with any degree of certainty that I know what I would do if it happened.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, here in B.C., too.  Our comps usually run Tuesday-Sunday so you're almost guaranteed to miss some school.  Often, if your child is in several numbers, they will land on different days and you will need to miss parts of the school day several times in one week.  The kids are expected to make up the work that they miss.

I do have to say, that I envy you American dance parents who for the most part, don't seem have to deal with comps during the week.  I'm a teacher, so I can't just take random days off in the middle of the school year.  I've always been part-time so I've managed to get to most of DD's numbers in competition, but this year I am full-time so I'm going to have to organize for her to go with other parents for the numbers that land in the middle of the school day.  I HATE missing stuff!  I wish we could run our comps on weekends only!
highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Quote:

Another mom from Ontario and it seems to be the norm around here.  Now competitions will rearrange a group or a dancer when they have the Ontario testing - as I have seen this happen.  It seems to happen a lot and not just with dance but hockey and ringette tournaments as well.  Heck our school can be missing upwards of 20 children some Fridays when there is a very large hockey tournament.  My sons class alone is short 4 students.
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Hi, I'm also from Ontario. Our schools can't really say anything about dancers missing since hockey players have been doing this for decades. Our school has come to understand my girls schedules and don't question when they have to leave for outside choreographers, conventions and competitions that happen on a school day. I am lucky to have DDs who can catch up easily though. If I had a DD who struggles at school I might be more concerned.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Isn't Toronto in Ontario? Isn't Toronto a big center for entertainment and film making?  Doesn't that help dancers? The entertainment industry is a part of the economy and taken seriously.

Isn't it a bit about what your community values? 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance
Isn't Toronto in Ontario? Isn't Toronto a big center for entertainment and film making?  Doesn't that help dancers? The entertainment industry is a part of the economy and taken seriously.

Isn't it a bit about what your community values? 

Yes Toronto is in Ontario and we do have a huge entertainment/film industry here.  I don't know that that makes it easier for our kids though.  Our schools just don't seem as hung up on having butts in the chairs as they do on making sure that the work is done and done well.  Missing school is no big deal as long as the work gets done.  Now if you were talking about a child that was missing months of school then alternate arrangements would be made for them to stay caught up.
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Ontario parent as well. It works out okay for us if the student can catch up easily. If your child struggles a bit with school, the pressure of having to miss school to compete would be tough.

I have a question about the zero tolerance policy mentioned above. If you're child knew ahead of time what was due that day and submitted it the day before, can I assume they do not get penalized for missing that day? Also, if an assignment is given that day, and your child finds out about it and submits it on time after the competition, that too would not be penalized? So are the marks lost on in-class work only, and if so, does this account for much in the overall grade?
misplacedmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytappyfeet
I have a question about the zero tolerance policy mentioned above. If you're child knew ahead of time what was due that day and submitted it the day before, can I assume they do not get penalized for missing that day?

One year, when my oldest was in 8th grade, we were taking a 8-9 day trip to Chicago.  (She wasn't missing all those days school--there was a weekend thrown in there along with a couple of professional days.  I think she missed 4 total.)  I let her teachers know about it and most of them let me know what they would be working on so she could work on her own as well.  However, one of her teachers sent me a scathing email which stated she was not required to give me assignments ahead of time and said she would be "reporting" me to administrators for asking.  lol, okay.  Nothing came of it and like I said, most of her teachers were accomodating, but she did get 0s in that 1 class for 1 day because I think she was allowed to make up work for 3 unexcused days.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
My daughter's school asks for her dance commitments to be provided to them as soon as they're known.  That way her specific teachers (5 of them in rotary) are aware of when she'll be away and they work with her to ensure she has what she needs before she leaves; and check up on her when she gets back.  Ontario schools are about creating "well rounded" students, and recognize that not all learning happens in a classroom.  
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytappyfeet
I have a question about the zero tolerance policy mentioned above. If you're child knew ahead of time what was due that day and submitted it the day before, can I assume they do not get penalized for missing that day? Also, if an assignment is given that day, and your child finds out about it and submits it on time after the competition, that too would not be penalized? So are the marks lost on in-class work only, and if so, does this account for much in the overall grade?

Yes, the marks lost are for in-class work. In my district, that is a minimum of 50% of the grade, with homework and assessments making up the remaining 50%. While this is the official policy, I have yet to find a teacher that isn't willing to work with a child to make up assignments. But nothing requires them to do so, and in the case of some very rigid administrators I have met, they would not allow the make-up assignments if they were aware of the reason. Sad how inflexible some of them are. It's why I was intentionally vague when I had to pull my kids out for a day a couple of years ago to travel out of state for a wedding. I said we had "an appointment," which could be interpreted in many ways. We were new to the school at the time, and I didn't know how strictly that principal followed the policy.
Gizheiuranin

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Why don't they just cut down the number of entries?
southerndancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizheiuranin
Why don't they just cut down the number of entries?

I could not agree with this more. Limit the entries or get another venue that can hold two stages going at once. It is such a money making scheme.
cfdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I found this thread really interesting. I do find it interesting to see how things work in other places and what happens with the missed school situation.

This year has been tough so far with missed school days because of dance comp. My dd was in two competitions the past two weekends and both comps, she danced both Thursday and Friday, so she missed 4 days in 2 weeks already. We don't have another comp until the 3rd weekend of March but she dances on the Friday morning again, and it is out of town so we have to leave Thursday (after school) so she will miss one more day. And we still have 2 comps to go in April. I have also had to use vacation days to get off work. I kind of plan ahead and reserve vacation days for the comps but if I don't have to use them all and can save some because the schedule has her dancing on the weekend, it is always nice!

In terms of school, I am also in Ontario and I have found that dd's teachers have been understanding. Last year, as one poster said, her teacher actually told me she was used to it because of the hockey players, so as long as I let her know ahead of time so she can do the work, no problem. She didn't send the work with us but arranged for dd to stay in at recess or aftershool for a bit to catch up on what she missed.

This year, her teacher is sending everything she is missing with her as homework. So when she had a break or before bed, she was back in the hotel room doing her missed work and homework. She actually had a lot to do because the teacher sent home every lesson she missed and all the in-class work that went with it plus the homework, but it was a good lesson in time management, independent work, etc. for my dd. And when she complained about the work, I just reminded her that if she was going to miss school for dance, this was part of the deal. [wink]

All in all though, I do think that learning occurs outside the classroom as well, and her teachers have been wonderfully supportive of her missed days to go to dance competition. Having said that though, it is also nice to have a comp schedule that might only have her dancing on Saturday and Sunday so we don't have to miss school/work with every comp we go to.
KrissisMomLvsDance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
This is the reason why my daughter happens to be sick every Friday that we are competing (wink, wink, nod, nod). I have found it is MUCH easier to simply lie about her status. I know that sends a horrible message to my daughter (so please spare me the lectures), but it insures that she is given the chance to make up work, even tests.

Believe me, we have been competing for the past 9 years (since she was 5) and I am a girl scout at heart so I started out doing the right thing. As soon as the comp schedule was fixed I would send a letter to my child's teacher and the principal letting them know what days she would be missing and ask that all work be done in advance so that disruptions could be minimal. In elementary school most of her teachers were fine with this arrangement. When she hit middle school and suddenly had 6 different teachers everything changed. Some flat out refused to work with us. So if they play games so can I. I know they won't challenge a single day missed due to illness and who is to say she didn't wake up with an upset stomach? Problem solved.
misplacedmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissisMomLvsDance
This is the reason why my daughter happens to be sick every Friday that we are competing (wink, wink, nod, nod). I have found it is MUCH easier to simply lie about her status. I know that sends a horrible message to my daughter (so please spare me the lectures), but it insures that she is given the chance to make up work, even tests.

Believe me, we have been competing for the past 9 years (since she was 5) and I am a girl scout at heart so I started out doing the right thing. As soon as the comp schedule was fixed I would send a letter to my child's teacher and the principal letting them know what days she would be missing and ask that all work be done in advance so that disruptions could be minimal. In elementary school most of her teachers were fine with this arrangement. When she hit middle school and suddenly had 6 different teachers everything changed. Some flat out refused to work with us. So if they play games so can I. I know they won't challenge a single day missed due to illness and who is to say she didn't wake up with an upset stomach? Problem solved.

In regards to my post above about my then 8th grader missing school due to a family trip, I completely agree with you.  We/she would have been better off if I had simply called every day to say she was sick.
Kechara7881

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I did the sick thing too, DD had too many uncooperative teachers. Now that she is homeschooled, it's not an issue [smile]
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechara7881
I did the sick thing too, DD had too many uncooperative teachers. Now that she is homeschooled, it's not an issue [smile]

Homeschooling seems like a better and better idea for sooo many reasons
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.