Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sysy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I have a question about Jump, DD and i went to a Jump regional last weekend, we have been at Jump before but in our own state, DD wanted a challenge (different dancers for instance). We went to Orlando which according to many of our dance friends is a big regional for Jump, which turned out to be right, the place was packed. 

We didn't go there expecting to place because there were so many amazing dancers, DD is a junior and like we expected she didn't place top 10, so far so good, we went mostly for the convention anyway.

But one thing really surprised me, in this regional 1 studio won all the solo categories JumpStart (5-7) to Senior (in some categories they even won 2nd and 3rd aswel), now i have never seen this even in our much smaller state with less studio's. They also won most of the group awards and duo/trio awards. 

My question is, is this normal? Like i said, i have never seen this, if you would have told me before i would have said the competition was rigged. Now i do have to say that i think the junior and teen dancer were deserving winners (i didn't see the other solo categories), they were both stunning technical dancers. But still it seems weird to me that 1 studio in such a big dance region can be so dominant, has anyone ever seen this before? Thoughts?

PS. I didn't name the studio because i'm not sure i'm allowed to.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Out of all competitions I find the Break the floor group (JUMP) to be the most fair, and tough.  Have I been at regionals where 1 studio wins all the top spots.  Yes, I have. Did the top spots deserve it.  Yeah, in most cases I would say yes.  One event I did attend I would call foul, but  for the most part, in most of the comps I would have to say the highest adjudication and places deserved to be there.  However I would say even more so for BTF group.

Is it normal.  I would say yes, it is normal for a strong studio to bring strong dancers in at all levels.  I see studios all the time that are really high level and all of their comp dances are clean and strong.  Why wouldn't you expect that all the students would get the benefit of a good staff.

Alternatively we are in a very small studio.  If I would look at our performance last weekend from our studio - we had 3 minis, 3 juniors, 3 teens with solos, and 3 groups.  Adjudication wise all dancers were very similar and we earned some placements as well.  All of our dancers faired similarly - as they all have the same teachers looking for the same things from them.  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, that's normal and I've seen it often.  If there is a strong studio with very talented dancers it can happen.  You said you thought the girls deserved the win, so that's good.
sysy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane
Out of all competitions I find the Break the floor group (JUMP) to be the most fair, and tough.  Have I been at regionals where 1 studio wins all the top spots.  Yes, I have. Did the top spots deserve it.  Yeah, in most cases I would say yes.  One event I did attend I would call foul, but  for the most part, in most of the comps I would have to say the highest adjudication and places deserved to be there.  However I would say even more so for BTF group.

Is it normal.  I would say yes, it is normal for a strong studio to bring strong dancers in at all levels.  I see studios all the time that are really high level and all of their comp dances are clean and strong.  Why wouldn't you expect that all the students would get the benefit of a good staff.

Alternatively we are in a very small studio.  If I would look at our performance last weekend from our studio - we had 3 minis, 3 juniors, 3 teens with solos, and 3 groups.  Adjudication wise all dancers were very similar and we earned some placements as well.  All of our dancers faired similarly - as they all have the same teachers looking for the same things from them.  

I do think it's normal for these dancers to all perform well because obviously they are from a very strong studio but i found it weird because there were so many kids (a lot of competitions would be over the moon with this amount of dancers at their nationals, let alone a regional), this wasn't just your average regional and there are so many good studio's in that area that all attended. So i wouldn't say i found it weird for 1 studio to deliver multiple good dancers but more so that all those dancers from 1 studio outdanced every other kid from also amazing studio's who i know place top 10 at the dance awards regularly. 

sysy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Yes, that's normal and I've seen it often.  If there is a strong studio with very talented dancers it can happen.  You said you thought the girls deserved the win, so that's good.

Yes the girls that i saw were amazing, weirdly enough this studio is mostly known for their male dancers, couple of their boys blew me away, wish we had boys like that.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
If we’re thinking about the same studio, a lot of the dancers from there are home schooled. Meaning they train intensively.
sysy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
If we’re thinking about the same studio, a lot of the dancers from there are home schooled. Meaning they train intensively.

That would explain the technique level i saw in their dancers but yeah i'm not sure if i'm allowed to name the studio, let's just say the kids from the studio i saw are real stars.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysy

That would explain the technique level i saw in their dancers but yeah i'm not sure if i'm allowed to name the studio, let's just say the kids from the studio i saw are real stars.

In that area they are either real stars or love to dance the town. [wink]
sysy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jule425

In that area they are either real stars or love to dance the town. [wink]

These were real stars [rofl]
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I will probably get railed for this comment, but I believe the faculty at JUMP and the other BTF comps definitely favor a certain aesthetic in dancers and in choreography.

Lots of technically beautiful dancers receive a "You rocked JUMP" award or the other highest adjudication, but are not the top overall soloist. Sometimes when there is such amazing talent from a few studios, it's the little nuances in a dancer's movement or something in the choreography that pushes them over the edge and into first overall and it's in this measure that I think there is a preferred aesthetic. 

DD attended NUVO and/or JUMP several times and I witnessed it often. Time and time again, a well defined aesthetic was often first overall. I have watched many BTF live streams since DD moved on and it still happens.  That's not to say that the first overall soloist didn't deserve to win necessarily, but often a few below did too.

On average, I do think BTF conventions/comps are the most fair and realistic measure out there in the competitive dance world. I don't believe any dancer's score is ever inflated just because the dancer performed it well. They do emphasize technique above all pretty much across the board. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Stars is an excellent studio so I'd expect them to come out on top. No it's not rigged.

Lorax

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
OK, help an aging minded dance parent out, "dance the town" hypothetically speaking what studio name coincides with that? Help me stop the googling madness.
Lorax

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I will say that I absolutely have seen one studio dominate at a competition when there was just no way they should have topped out their categories, none. I don't understand how or why or what they do to make that happen and why the studios that don't top out continue to come back. I hypothesize that there is a "bounty" to be paid, studio owners must just understand that unless you bring x many dances with x many dancers you are not walking out with those coveted national champion awards and they all just know the game. Otherwise I cannot explain why those who took second or third would come back the next year. When you can clearly see the technique and the choreography that should win, and doesn't, I just shrug my shoulders and accept that there must be forces at work I know nothing about. And this is not affiliated with NUVO or JUMP... whole other ball game.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorax
OK, help an aging minded dance parent out, "dance the town" hypothetically speaking what studio name coincides with that? Help me stop the googling madness.

Dancetown Miami They won studio of the year in 2016 at The Dance Awards.
irishtwinmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
It's Stars. You can easily find out who it is by looking at the Jump results posted on their website. With that being said, IMO Stars is a very good studio with very good choreographers who took a lot of good dancers. So that alone would explain why they took so many overalls. I don't think Jump's competition is rigged. I think they are super tough in judging and usually bring out some of the best and most talented dancers. I also think their auditions for VIP dancer is fair. Now, their class scholarships...I think can be totally random. I have seen girls win a tap class scholarship that didn't even wear tap shoes, weren't in the room, or sat in the back during class. The class scholarships are basically a coupon for Dancerpalooza and they give out what seems to be hundreds in each city. Not that some are not deserved, but most definitely some are not.
Sprmom2679

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I don’t think the BTF ones are rigged but they are tough and attract lots of top talent. Judges have different preferences and different things stand out to them so two equally great dancers might score differently because one stood out over the other to that judge. Some competitions are clearly biased though and it is obvious that the winners were notches below other dancers who may not have even placed. Adrenaline and Revive are notorious for that and they definitely favor the studios the judges work at and choreograph for and the studios who do both and travel around with them and commit to doing their nationals. They don’t attract a lot of top talent, but like a previous poster mentioned, it’s a business, so they do what they have to to get paid. BTF attracts a lot of top talent and a lot of kids so they don’t really need favoritism either I suppose.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Jump Orlando has some great studios there and Stars is no joke. There are several other well known good Florida studios listed on their results page too when I look at Overall results. That being said, I am sure certain studios are in general looked upon more favorably... at any comp.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I don't think it's rigged. I've seen those dancers in person, on stage and in class. They train hard and it shows.
jamquint1

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #19 
We had our first BTF experience with my dd7 and ds8 this year. There were two very good studios from that large metropolitan area who won the majority overalls and also the breakout artist scholarships. But in what my amateur eye saw, they absolutely earned it. My kids go to an itty bitty rural studio where they work hard, but the training is not on the same level as what other studios offer. The judging was tough, and the critiques were tough to read for this mama, but I think they were very fair and spot on. 

Having said that, because of the mass trend toward contemporary dance, I did feel like I saw the same type of movement over and over again. It was beautiful, and I enjoyed it, but I missed seeing some great musical theater, true lyrical, jazz mixed in. I saw contemporary number after contemporary number with some excellent tap mixed in. Although uber talented dancers, our BTF experience gave me the impression that all of these little competition dancers are turning into little robots mimicking the trends. IDK. Just my humble, novice and amateur opinion, so probably not worth alot. 
Novaleesa

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I also attended JUMP Orlando with my DD.. And the talent was off the charts AMAZING. I was blown away (considering we are from a TINY studio). Our Tap routine took best of JUMP for teen line, which was an amazing honor. Overall, I thought it was a great experience
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My DD has competed at Jump a few times over the years. The competition is always fierce! Last year we did Jump Toronto and yes, many people from the same studio(s) won most of the top awards. I watched many of the dancers and I definitely think that the wins were well deserved. These studios have some crazy talented kids! I definitely do NOT think it is rigged. It makes sense though... Strong studios have strong kids. These strong kids were definitely standouts! I was in awe at the level of talent that weekend. 😉 (BTF events usually draw in top talent).
MissD

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Not rigged. Comps that are rigged “spread the awards around”. Honest comps score accurately and often that means a clean sweep for one studio when they are truly the strongest technical studio.
Novaleesa

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissD
Not rigged. Comps that are rigged “spread the awards around”. Honest comps score accurately and often that means a clean sweep for one studio when they are truly the strongest technical studio.

Yes, exactly! We went to Celebration Talent this year, and although we scored well- seemed like every studio got special awards so no one got left out.. And there were some 'interesting' routines. I would rather lose to a good studio than have a comp give awards to everyone
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.