Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I work part-time from home. Two days ago I received word our flex team can only work 5 hours per week through January! 😔

Needless to say, that is NOT going to pay comp fees, let alone much else.

So, I'm now looking for a full-time job, outside of the home.

For those that work full time, how do you get your kiddos to dance? What about competitions that start on Fridays? My husband is of no help, so that's not an option.

If anyone has personal fundraising ideas - not donation sites, please - I'd love to hear those, too. If DD has to help raise money, I want it to be where people get something in return.
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I work full-time and have always managed with dance and work. I work Monday-Friday and depending on the day, I’m either off work in time to get my daughter to dance classes or I have rides set up for her to go with friends from school. I always take the Fridays of each competition off work. We do 3-4 comps a year so it’s not too much time off work. We get our comp list in August with our first comp typically the following February so I just go ahead and ask for them all off. If for some reason she doesn’t compete on a Friday, I just use the day to organize and prepare for the comp.

I have never had a problem managing dance and work. But, I have always worked full-time. Our family budget, especially with dance, couldn’t have it any other way. I have never had good success with fundraising for dance. Good luck!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I worked full time all of DS life.  It wasn't easy but we managed.  I arranged rides with friends or family when I couldn't be there but most of the time I was able to negotiate with my employer to leave early once in a while to get him to classes.  For comps I booked the time off as vacation days as soon as I had our comp dates and if I didn't need them I cancelled or used the days off to run errands, etc.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I work full-time for our school district as a paraprofessional (instructional aide). So, I'm done at the end of the school day and have most of the same days off as dd. Sometimes we have professional development days when they have off, but for the most part I'm on the same schedule as her. If she has a comp that starts on a Friday afternoon, I can take a personal day (or even a half day) and take her out of school early if I have to, but this only happens maybe once a year.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I work full time and so does my husband. My hours vary (healthcare) and DH has more regular hours. Usually our problem is getting the girls to the studio as some classes begin shortly after school is done, and DH or myself can pick them up after work. We are at the studio four days a week between our older two, plus gymnastics another day for one of our girls. My mom helps drive sometimes, luckily she works five minutes from our DDs' school and can help if needed. Oldest DD carpools with another dancer from her school occasionally on certain days, and we've also paid another mom to help drive at times. My job has some weekends, so I get a day off during the week on those weeks, so I drive on those days. As far as comps go, we haven't been on too many Fridays yet, but I either take a full or half day of vacation if that happens. Since this is our third comp season, I know a little better which comps that we go tend to have a bigger crowd and take off Friday for those just in case. It gets chaotic at times, but there can often be ways to make it work! I'm lucky in that we have family close by who are willing to help, without them it'd be trickier. Lots of families from our studio carpool, too.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I work full time and so does DH. If I have to be at a comp or event on a weekday, I take the day off. It doesn’t happen that often.
AtTheStudio

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
For me, managing kids, activities and full time work has always been about time management. As for personal fundraising, I've found it easier to just find ways to cut costs. However,  if you do much online shopping, I suggest signing up for EBates if you are not already a member.  While it is not fast (which is sounds like you might be needing), it does work. 

I was skeptical at first but joined Thanksgiving weekend in 2016. Since then I have earned $218.22, $60.26 of which will come in my next check in February. One of my 2018 goals is to do more of my shopping online via EBates, set aside those checks and use that money for Christmas this year. 

We book our hotels via Hotels.com. Booking them through EBates doesn't cost me any extra and I usually get 2-4% cash back on those. Walmart usually has at least a 1% cashback. Kohl's and JC Penney are my other go to stores and often have big payouts. I've been eyeing new bedding at JC Penney for quite some time. I finally ordered it a few weeks ago when they were running a 60% off sale and EBates had a 17% cash back. I earned more than $19 back on that transaction alone. 

Check with your friends to see who is already using it because if you use their referral code, they get cash back and so do you. Last summer two of my daughters wanted to order some items online - one from Walmart, the other from Kohl's. I had them sign up for EBates, they each got $10 for joining plus I got an even bigger referral bonus than normal because of a promotion EBates was running.

I get the most of out EBates by having their button installed on my browser which alerts me if I am shopping on one of their partner sites. Super easy. I'm getting cash back on shopping I would be doing anyway. 

I am intentionally not posting my referral link here. I am not making this post to try and earn more referral cash. I just want you to be aware of how easy it is to use.  

rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I take the competition days off. For weekly rides, we have an extensive carpool system that includes families with more flex schedules, grandparents, nannies, or even senior dancers who can drive. DD's fave teacher even helps regularly. We've made it work, even when it's a struggle some days. Good luck!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
When I worked FT I was able to finish work shortly after the school day ended and still manage.

We also carpool.

I don’t work full time now, but my 2 dancers attend schools on opposite ends of town with very different hours. I finish in time to get the earlier one from the bus and then we either go get the later one and right to Dance OR I drop her off then go get he later one and bring her to Dance.

We still carpool and are lucky enough that we have neighbors who also compete on their teams.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My husband and I work full time and have demanding jobs - and both kids are in competitive activities.  For a few years when DD was young the classes were at a time that I could work normally.  Now  I have adjusted my schedule so I go in earlier, so that I can jump out and drive her around.  I do conference calls from my car, and work in the studio to make it work. When I travel it's a crap shoot - Husband tries to get her where she needs to be - sometimes I can have a babysitter drive.  It's always a mystery on how it turns out.. lol.  But we don't end up missing a lot.   I too take off work if it's a Friday we have to be there.  And nationals.

The kids are always reminded we both have to work to make this happen, I could probably stay at home if both kids stopped. lol.  And I make the higher salary at the moment.

But in all honesty, when I see what she learns in dance go over to other areas in her life, I am fully happy with our investment.  At our last parent teacher conference at school the teach said "when I give your daughter corrections to her writing she immediately applies them!"  LOL.  I wonder where she learned that from. [smile] 
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I work full time and have a long commute to and from work. DD is in a pre-professional ballet program that starts early in the days. We ended up hiring a part-time "nanny" to get her to dance.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Do you know a high school student who may interested in working for you as your DD's chauffeur?  If not, contact your local high school and see if they have any employment listings or if ask they could put you in contact with someone who could help you find a responsible student with a good driving record.  

Additionally, my neighborhood is connected through "Nextdoor", the online network for neighbors and neighborhoods in your community.  There are many high school students who advertise on the site for jobs just like what you may need.

Even though I have been lucky and was able to work from home mostly, as the mother of four busy kids back in the day (before I had drivers), I had to rely on others to transport here and there many times.  I had a local community college student who I employed quite often as my taxi and she worked out wonderfully.  
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I've always worked full-time as well.  When DD was younger, we hired an after school nanny that would not only watch her and her younger brother but drive her to dance when need be.  When she got older most of her classes start later so I was usually off in time to get her there.  Now that she's assistant teaching, my husband gets her there on days she needs to be earlier.  He works super early - 6am so he's home by 4/4:30.  I can't wait until she gets her drivers license in June so no more chauffeuring.  Although I will hate having another car payment/insurance because we'll definitely need 3 cars.
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Yikes, I cannot imagine DH saying "No" to commuting DD.

I work full time. Actually, in all fairness, I work more than full time - I worked 62 weeks worth of hours in 52 weeks last year, even with a Disney vacation and 5 out of state weekends for dance.

My husband and our tribe of dance moms are an absolute God send. DH or other dance moms will get DD to dance class. Sometimes another dance mom will bring her home at night.

I request off for competitions and cram my work into longer weekday shifts when that is necessary, use vacation time if necessary too (I have 4 weeks a year because I've been with my company for a decade).

Thankfully my situation changes when my campaign changes late this month, and I'm back to a regular 40.. But still, DH and my tribe of moms will be a go to, because my hours are likely to change.

Do you have any dance mom friends that you trust and could have your DD carpool with?
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Also, do you have a boosters? If not, I would suggest talking to your SO about forming a boosters.
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I work full time (M-F) and then a 2nd job on weekends, to pay for dance! And I make it all work. I just take off the Fridays and weekends she competes. I tend to work most of the summer (not using much PTO) and around all the holidays and the days that others want off. So then my boss always lets me have the days off I need as I help cover the traditional vacation times for everyone else. I save most of my PTO for competition weekends. It works well for me. If I had difficulty getting her to dance I would probably pay someone or try to locate a dance mom who may be willing to help. But I've been lucky to make it all work somehow. Good luck!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
One or two days per week my wife or I bail from work early and shuttle kids from school to dance.  I can work from home for the balance of the day.  Technically she's part time but often ends up back at the office.  The other days of the week, we actually pay a "nanny" (retired adult) who drives for us.

elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I only have one so it's not too bad. I work about 15 minutes from home and was able to adjust my hours so that I can get her to dance on time. We only have one rush day - Monday, of course [rolleyes] ! I always book off the Friday of comp weekends, cancel if not needed (this year though we have two 4 day comps that I need to book 2 days off for). My DH can't help as his schedule is all over the place and quite frankly he's not overly motivated to help so it all falls on me. I do know that in a pinch I do have fellow dance moms in her group that could help so it's nice having some backup. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.