Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have any experience with these? Good and bad about them? How hard are they to get into? Thanks!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Age of dancer?  General level of ability?  And maybe long term goal?

My dd went to WH's SI when she was 13.  We live about 20 minutes from there.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
She is 12 but will be 13 by the time of the intensive. We are thinking about doing the youth one since this will be her first time and we don't want to do a full five weeks. She's been en pointe for almost 2 years. She's probably around average ability. Not amazing, but not terrible either, but I don't really know because I never danced. She really just wants to learn new things and have a good experience. She also has been at 1 studio her whole life so wants to work with different teachers and students.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
You should register at Ballet Talk for Dancers and read the threads dedicated to the intensives you are interested in.  Don't ask for comparisons though - not allowed on that Forum.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you, ballerinamom13. I have already done this and I found some good information on Joffrey, but not so much on Walnut Hill. I also would like comparisons, possibly, and just more info in general, and thought you ladies might have some input [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD hasn't been to either, so I cannot help you with these two.  However, Joffrey NYC takes everyone, pretty much,  and is definitely NOT hard to get into.  I don't know anything about Walnut Hill - it was never on our radar.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletMom2
She is 12 but will be 13 by the time of the intensive. We are thinking about doing the youth one since this will be her first time and we don't want to do a full five weeks. She's been en pointe for almost 2 years. She's probably around average ability. Not amazing, but not terrible either, but I don't really know because I never danced. She really just wants to learn new things and have a good experience. She also has been at 1 studio her whole life so wants to work with different teachers and students.

The 3 wk youth program is for 10-13... 5 wk program for 13 and up with few 13 yos back then (most seemed to be steered towards the younger program from what I was told)... so I think you're on the right track with the youth program.  Overall I guess I would call it a decent introduction to a real SI experience for my own dd but she would tell you that it was a little too camp like for her taste with too much non dancing time.  Classes were quite large which meant little in the way of personal attention.  And while looking back she would say the instruction was 'good' she will also tell you that it didn't exactly push her in any way.  Which is something she looks for in training.  So while I don't know that she would say it was a negative experience so much, she did come away knowing that she wouldn't be interested in going back.  That said, I've heard other dancers say they loved it.  So how your own dd would find it is hard to say.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the info. She'll definitely audition and we'll see from there.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My daughter loved it last year at 12.  It was a great introduction to summer intensives.  I wouldn't send her to the youth dance program this year at 13 because she was at the top of her class last year at 12 but she will be auditioning for the older program.  The classes were about 20 students each.
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks, meatball77! I think that if she had done these before we would send her to the older one, but since she is new, we would rather her have it as an intro.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: