Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Moms! My DD is looking into attending the Joffrey jazz and contemporary program in NYC. Even though she is an older teen, I am not feeling 100% confident in sending her across the country alone (for multiple reasons). I am looking into going with her for a week or 2 (she is only going to do a week or 2 of the program itself). Has anyone gone to the NYC intensive and stayed at a hotel or possibly AirBNB nearby? Maybe a timeshare? What are some nearby options, plus the car situation will be tough. Any moms gone with their DD's to a NYC intensive? How did you guys work it out? 

Secondly, This program is 4 weeks long, and she is planning on attending only 1 or 2 weeks of it. Has anyone else not stayed for an entire intensive? How did it work out for you? Does 1 or 2 weeks still seem beneficial? Sorry I'm so naive when it comes  to this stuff [crazy]

Any input is much appreciated!!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dd has done nyc SIs that didn't offer housing.  For one 2 wk program she stayed in an apt w/4 other dancers from her same ballet school... I don't believe it was airbnb but it was something similar (another mom did all the research).  For a couple of other 1 wk programs we stayed in a hotel w/in walking distance of the studio (for one we actually shared a room w/a mom/daughter we met here). This summer she has 2 one wk programs back to back & we'll be staying in Manhattan hotels again.  I already have them reserved & just keep checking to see if I can get a better deal.  Tbh.. I've always just used the online travel sites & have never been disappointed.  We don't keep a car in the city.. either take a bus or have my husband drop us off & pick us up.  If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to address them but I just wanted to tell you that, yes, it's more than doable.  And it doesn't have to break the bank.
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much for the reply heidi459 !! It is a recent decision between both of us that we think is best (for me to tag along). All hotels that are close enough for to Joffrey for us all seem to be $300+ a night. 2 weeks of that is a little much for me to manage [eek]. Thats why I'm starting to think of something like a timeshare or something along those sorts... 

Another question for you, Did you guys eat out mostly or buy food to put in the fridge and make daily? Also, what did you do with yourself all day when your DD was dancing? I might have to take up a hobby lol!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Can I ask which wks you're going?  300 sounds like a lot to me.  My dd is doing the Joffrey MT program in June & right now I've reserved a room w/in walking distance for <800 including taxes & fees. The next week we're moving uptown a little for the Rockettes & we're paying just over 1100 total (it's a bigger room because my mom is staying w/us). Not suggesting that you not pursue the apt idea just that you don't have to pay that much for a clean, comfortable, safe hotel. (eta: you could also consider staying in a borough and taking the subway in, we generally do that when we bring the whole family because a room for 6 in Manhattan is ridiculously expensive).  

As far as food, we at least try to get a room w/a mini fridge but it's never a deal breaker for me. We aren't big eaters & what we do eat tends to be pretty simple & nyc is full of little affordable grab & go type places (Pret a Manger is our absolute favorite & I could eat every meal there for pretty small  money).  That plus a variety of shelf stable foods get us through just fine.

As far as what to do during the day... you're in nyc, have no fear.  So much to explore. Shopping, museums, parks, shows...   You can walk the city for hours & hours.  Sit in a park & read. Sit in Time Square & people watch.  Jump on the subway & head to one of the boroughs for a day at the zoo or a botanical garden.  If you're a city person you'll have a ball.  If not.. well, then I guess you could look at it as an opportunity to push yourself out of your comfort zone.  Adventure awaits [smile]
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We are looking at the 22nd of July- 7th of august. What is the name of the hotel are you staying at so close to Joffrey? I would love to know, because <800 for a week sounds great. The cheapest Airbnb I can find that is within walking distance is $150 per night, which is over $2500 for 2 weeks in NYC[eek]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
The hotel we're at for the week she's at Joffrey is The Jane.  The hotel itself is quite nice but the room for that price is quite small (bunk beds) & has a nice but 'shared' bath. While not everyone's cup of tea, we don't hang in our hotel room so it's fine for us. The week after we're further uptown at The Watson in a larger, more traditional hotel room because my 88 yo mom is joining us (2 queen beds, private bath) & the hotel has a rooftop pool... but we're still paying <$175/nt.  Last year we were there in August & a hotel w/a similar room (2 queen beds, private bath...no pool though) was about the same.  My point being that you don't have to stay in a closet w/a shared bathroom to bring the price down.  I'd think you'd be able to get the cost closer to 2K... maybe less if you're willing to think outside the box & give up a few things on your wish list.  Or maybe "rough it" one week & then move to something a little less bare bones the next.       

Have you checked the travel sites for your dates... Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, etc?  The hotels/deals offered aren't necessarily consistent from site to site, day to day, or week to week so you really need to spend some time exploring.  Then if you find something w/a price you like maybe check the hotel site itself to see if they have a better deal (AAA rate, a special, etc.) That would be my suggestion. You can always reserve a refundable room (no deposit needed), keep watching for a better deal, & then cancel & rereserve as often as necessary to get the best deal..  And, again, maybe try to be flexible w/types of accommodations & location if cost is an important factor.  It's nice to be w/in walking distance but the subway is easy to manage & can get you to where ever you need to be in short order.  And a roomy room is nice but rarely necessary.  A comfortable bed, a tv, some free wifi, & a clean bathroom?  Maybe that's really all you need.  Call us crazy but if need be we wouldn't hesitate to stay in a hostel or even a ymca myself (as long as I was sleeping in private room... not into dormitory accommodations at my age  lol).... or stay in one of the boroughs as long as it was a quick walk to the subway. Just leaves more money to spend on all the fun stuff. And there's a lot of fun stuff to be had in nyc. Just food for thought. 

Candance123

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Hi,
You may also want to investigate Gypsy Housing--it's a FB page for "artists" who are trying to sublet their places out, or looking for housing.  You may be able to find a studio to rent short term. Also double check where the intensive is being held--there are two studios--one in the Village and one in Queens.  Both are easy to get to via subway.  My daughter did the J&C SI last summer and it was mostly out in Queens so it may make a difference where you are looking to rent--Long Island City is more affordable than Manhattan but a close subway ride away so you can easily pop into the city while your DD is dancing.  If you are close to a subway line, you have it made. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: