Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
The Joffrey Ballet is live streaming a rehearsal for their new Nutcracker production on Sept 8.

http://www.joffrey.org/livestream

I thought there might be some interest in viewing on this board.  The company retired the original Robert Joffrey production last season as is getting an entirely new production by Christopher Wheeldon.  They did a live stream of Swan Lake rehearsal a few years ago and it was amazing to watch!
momto1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter is doing a business internship there currently. She was able to sit in on a meeting that Mr Wheeldon had with staff and dancers a few weeks ago discussing his vision for the new production.  She called me right away with her excitement on the new Nutcracker.  Plan on seeing it this season.
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter is a student at the academy.  She is very excited to audition for this production and is hoping she can be a part of it.  We can already tell it will be spectacular from the little bits and pieces we've heard about it.
momto1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Good luck to your daughter.  My daughter danced from age 3 through her senior year.  She is an international business major at Loyola in her senior year.  She still dances in the Loyola dance troupe for fun.  She has enjoyed her internship at the Joffrey.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you for posting this! I will try to check it out.

I also live in the Chicago area. I have had the pleasure of seeing the Joffrey Nutcracker many, many years ago. I will try to catch this.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Huge fan of Wheeldon's choreography here! Thanks for passing this on!
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD is auditioning this year. Her BM just left the Company to join the traveling company of American in Paris.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Can't wait to see this! 
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Best of luck to your daughter on the audition.  My DD has been helping with some of the pre-production staging.  She has enjoyed working with Mr. Wheeldon and got a sneak peak at some of the production set mock ups.  She is really hoping to get a role in the actual production.  They have significantly changed the age/height ranges for kids this year.  Ages 7-18 up to 5'6'', as before it was 9-15ish and had to be under 5ft in Mr. Joffrey's production. 

Two former Joffrey dancers are joining the American in Paris tour, Lucas Segovia and Caitlin Meighan.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr12
Best of luck to your daughter on the audition.  My DD has been helping with some of the pre-production staging.  She has enjoyed working with Mr. Wheeldon and got a sneak peak at some of the production set mock ups.  She is really hoping to get a role in the actual production.  They have significantly changed the age/height ranges for kids this year.  Ages 7-18 up to 5'6'', as before it was 9-15ish and had to be under 5ft in Mr. Joffrey's production. 

Two former Joffrey dancers are joining the American in Paris tour, Lucas Segovia and Caitlin Meighan.

That's our BM! So excited for him! Curious as to how different the new roles are given the new height requirements. DD13 goes tomorrow. Finds crossed for her and your DD.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Waiting for report backs!
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD was let in...she made the height requirement which was my worry. DH says it is packed for the older-taller girl category.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Congrats to her, Judie!  [smile]
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Fingers crossed for you DD!  We are in the shorter height range, so are auditioning on Sunday.
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Also, from the you tube channel comments, it appears that the video will be up for 24hrs.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Well, our hopes are not high. Very crowded and she did not get called back in but one of her team mates did. Her team mate is very thin, and she said most who were called back were willowy. She said the choreo was easy but weird...different.

Either way, glad she got another shot.
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
DD had a few classmates that were in the "taller" audition.  Word on the street that the majority of roles are for the shorter kids, so not too many parts for this age/height range. 

Glad your DD gave it a shot and thank you for sharing her experience.  We are nervous as to how many kids in her age/height range will be there on Sunday.  Hopefully they will both be cast!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 

I caught part of the Snow rehearsal and the Marie/Hans Peter (Drosselmeyer's nephew) pas rehearsals. 

I wish I could be in Chicago in December to see this ballet! I really love Wheeldon's style. His Alice is fabulous. American in Paris is beyond fabulous, a mix of my two favorite things- ballet and musical theater. This Nutcracker is going to be equally wonderful, I am sure. 

Good luck to those waiting to hear about the auditions and those about to audition. I hope we get to see more glimpses on line... snow babies sound adorable!

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Congrats to your younger DD, and sorry about your oldest.

For those of you who don't know, I had the pleasure of meeting these 3 ladies (judie and her DD's) several years ago at a comp. They are really wonderful dancers (the daughters), and all 3 are really nice people.
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD auditioned today in the 10-16 "shorter" group.  There were probably over 100 kids there.  Between that, the younger kids, the boys, and the Wed audition...my guess is that they had just over 300 kids audition this year.  No official word on how many total kids will be cast.  They usually have two cast of kids.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Thanks Corky!
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
No dice for DD. She is actually quite relieved. Congrats to all who did make it!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I'm sorry Judie.  [frown]  Is she doing okay?
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Oh, yes. Actually relieved. She's got a lot on her plate, so we are all good.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: