Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone familiar with this studio?  I'm looking at it for my sixteen-year-old.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My dd has dropped in on classes there.  What specifically would you like to know?
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What is the quality of the instruction?  I am sure the jazz is excellent but what about the ballet?  Are teens who do not participate full-time in the Boston Youth Moves program able to participate in the teen classes or do they have to take the open adult classes?

Thanks!!!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Oh.. that I don't know.  I know the open contemporary and jazz classes are quite good. What kind of ballet training are you looking for for your dd?  How strong, I mean?  Is this as a supplement to her regular training or would this be it?  Is she serious with long term goals or is it just more for fun.  My gut is that their program provides a more basic foundation.  Not something that would really push a serious dancer.  I know it wouldn't be something my own 16 yo would interested in.

As far as the logistics though.... teen classes vs open classes... I think your best bet would be to email them directly.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I could be wrong but I would consider Jeannette Neil to be more of a drop in place as opposed to an actual studio. My advice would be to look at a ballet studio if you are looking for more regular classes.
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks - my daughter is a very strong ballet dancer but after a serious overuse injury wants to pursue other forms of dance, as well - unfortunately, her current ballet school is quite intense and doesn't allow for a reduction in classes per week, so she will need to look elsewhere for ballet - perhaps we will look for another ballet program and supplement that with the jazz and contemporary classes at Jeannette Neil
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Do you live in Metro Boston or are you in the suburbs?  A number of us here live in the area w/older dancers who get around (if you will).  The more info you provide, the more likely we'll be able to help you.  Assuming that's what you're looking for [smile]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
I could be wrong but I would consider Jeannette Neil to be more of a drop in place as opposed to an actual studio. My advice would be to look at a ballet studio if you are looking for more regular classes.

Yeah... I wasn't aware that they had youth classes either but thought I was missing something.   Just went to their website and while I see a limited youth program for children up to 12, there is nothing like that for teens.  And as far as open adult ballet classes... just one Ballet 1 class on Saturday.  
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
The Boston Youth Moves program is their teen program - I think you have to click a link on the Jeannette Neil site to get to it - we lives in the western suburbs but daughter goes to school in Boston so we can (and do) drive anywhere
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Koltun Ballet Academy in Watertown allows you to take less than their full program.  You can even just go a day or two a week.  It's pretty intense but if the directors knew your dd had limitations due to injuries they wouldn't push her.  

There is Brookline Ballet School in Brookline as well.  Not as intense as Koltun but still strong instruction.  Not sure what their policy is as far as taking less than the full program. You could call.  The director is very nice.

Jose Mateo in Cambridge is said to have a decent program but I don't know anyone personally who has taken class there.  I don't know their policies either.  

Just outside Boston there's the Lexington School of Ballet (my hometown).  A student from Koltun went there before he switched.  He liked it but wanted to be pushed more.. hence his decision to switch.

We live just east of Worcester so I also know all the programs in this area... Acton, Ballet Arts Worcester, MassBallet in Framingham.  Dd has taken open classes at them all.  I know Acton doesn't allow a partial program.  BAW does to some degree.  Not sure about MassBallet. I would be sure to tell them why you are looking for a less taxing schedule. And if a program doesn't allow you to sign up for a partial program you might ask if they have a drop in option.  The per hour cost is more, of course, but it could be an option.  You'd just drop in on a regular basis :-)
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks so much, diamondmember!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My dd dances at Koltun.  If you have more specific questions feel free to pm me.
pzsmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
(Not useful but...) when I was an aspiring actress first out of college decades ago, I (like much of the Boston theatre community at the time) took classes at Jeannine's. It was awesome -- great teachers, supportive classes with/on many levels and in many styles.  Wish I still lived in the area -- I'd still be going myself! I love the drop-in format for flexibility, cost, and the ability to explore different styles.
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks!
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Where is this located I tried to google it? My dd will be moving there in fall. Are there other places with adult open classes in all genres? Plus thanks for the other info.
wuhanmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
jndance.com
261 Friend Street, Boston
(617) 523-1355
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
Where is this located I tried to google it? My dd will be moving there in fall. Are there other places with adult open classes in all genres? Plus thanks for the other info.

Urbanity, in the South End....  the Dance Complex & Green Street Studios in Cambridge.... Boston Ballet School offers adult ballet classes throughout the week at both their Newton & Boston locations... Koltun Ballet Academy in Watertown has an open adult ballet class on Sundays.     

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: