Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
atrader12

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey everyone! I'm super new here but figured this would be the best place to ask.. My daughter is in her first year of competitive dance.. She's in a small group dance for one dance and she's in a trio for her other dance. I need song ideas for a fun, upbeat jazz routine.. My daughter is 7 as well as one of the other girls and the other girl is 6. I've been going thru Pink, Katy Perry, Meghan Trainor, T. Swift, etc.. But her instructor doesn't want anything to "popular" that will end up being overplayed @ comps this year.

Thanks in Advance ladies!
-the new dance Mom
Kfish1987

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Me and my girls. Fifth Harmony
Feeling Good. Christine Grimmie
Glam- Christina Aguilera
Beat- Selena Gomez
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I really like that song that goes, "If I were you I'd want to be me too."  But, I'm sure that's going to be totally overdone.

I really love trios.  Private lessons split 3 ways are so much cheaper and they usually aren't any more to compete than a group dance.  I saw a lot of growth from my daughter the year she had a trio.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Welcome to the forum! Try looking at some old Linda Ronstadt or even Olivia Newton-John songs if you are just looking for female singers (which is all you've mentioned).

"That'll Be the Day" by Linda Ronstadt was done by my DD when she was 12, but she looked like she was about 9 or so at the time. It is sassy and fun, and not heard very often at comps.

atrader12

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieg
I really like that song that goes, "If I were you I'd want to be me too."  But, I'm sure that's going to be totally overdone.

I really love trios.  Private lessons split 3 ways are so much cheaper and they usually aren't any more to compete than a group dance.  I saw a lot of growth from my daughter the year she had a trio.

Yes, that's Me Too by Meghan Trainor and one of the other girls @ our studio is using it for her solo this year. That was our first choice though
atrader12

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty1
Welcome to the forum! Try looking at some old Linda Ronstadt or even Olivia Newton-John songs if you are just looking for female singers (which is all you've mentioned).

"That'll Be the Day" by Linda Ronstadt was done by my DD when she was 12, but she looked like she was about 9 or so at the time. It is sassy and fun, and not heard very often at comps.

I'm not necessarily looking for only female singers.. I just like the upbeat, fun sassy-ness (if that's even a word..lol) that comes with most of their songs. But I'm open to any songs, male or female singers! Thanks I'm going to listen to them now [smile]
gingerbrown12872

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter did a trio to "Cruella DeVille" (pretty sure it was one of the Selena Gomez versions)at that age -- super cute, not at all overused (at least not in our area) and totally age appropriate.  They were adorable! [smile]

Other songs she danced to around that age were:

Zippity Doo Dah (the Austin & Ally version)
If My Friends Could See Me Now (from Sweet Charity -- we used the Christina Applegate version, but there are tons of versions out there)
Sparkling Diamonds (from Moulin Rouge -- this required some editing, though! [smile])
Material Girl (was a cover -- not sure which one, though -- definitely not the original Madonna version, though)
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Is it forbidden to have the same music for a group dance when a soloist is already using it?  It has happened a few times at our studio.  Since they usually compete at different times there has never really been a problem except when comps don't make both dances available for video purchase because they thought one was a duplicate and that only happened once.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Black Magic by Little Mix
No Can Do by Dennis
Ain't Nothing Wrong With That by Robert Randolph
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
When DS was that age 14 years ago they did a lot of jazz to songs by The Puppies.  I know they were hugely popular back then but not sure if they are still overused.

They did this one year -
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Something New by Nikki Yanofsky
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty1

I LOVE when older songs are used for solos!  You're gonna laugh, but I had always wanted DD to do a disco solo so a couple of years ago she did one to the Bee Gees' "Should Be Dancing".  She absolutely hated the boots and didn't want to wear them but her choreographer thought they made the costume and I couldn't help but chuckle every time I saw her dance in them.  She'd kill me if she knew I was going to post that picture. . .

Dancing_085.jpg 

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Hahaha- we did the puppies hokey pokey when my oldest was that age! I haven't heard it for years!

"Girl's Club" is a cute duo we saw at a competition by girls that age.. They had the perfect balance of cuteness and sass.

Edited: girls club is by Bailee Paige- went looking for it
atrader12

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

I LOVE when older songs are used for solos!  You're gonna laugh, but I had always wanted DD to do a disco solo so a couple of years ago she did one to the Bee Gees' "Should Be Dancing".  She absolutely hated the boots and didn't want to wear them but her choreographer thought they made the costume and I couldn't help but chuckle every time I saw her dance in them.  She'd kill me if she knew I was going to post that picture. . .

Dancing_085.jpg 

Oh em gee!!! That is too cute! I LOVE IT!
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
When my girls were little, they did a duet to  - So Fabulous, So Fierce (Freak Out) - Thunderpuss & Jocelyn Enriquez - and it was so much fun!
My3girls357

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My dd (8) did a trio to "Stray Cat Strut" last year, was totally fun, upbeat and jazzy, I can send you a clip from the video if I can figure out how to upload lol! Good luck with choosing, there are a lot of good ideas!
PastrySugar

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Listen to the Bratz or Barbie songs
PastrySugar

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
Something New by Nikki Yanofsky
my granddaughter did this one last year
Danceter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
This Wilco song from the Spongebob movie could be super cute for that age group:

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I've also seen a few small groups of girls, almost always minis, dance to "Girl Party" by Mac Z (Mackenzie from "Dance Moms").
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: