Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Depending on the situation, prisoners can be liable to pay the state for their time while incarcerated, like rent. It doesn't make sense for all situations, but I bet Abby lee will have to pay for her own room and board.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I won! There are tears of joy around our dinner table for receiving 200 "cool points" on dance mom.com I would like to thank my daughter for watching Dance Moms every week!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
Depending on the situation, prisoners can be liable to pay the state for their time while incarcerated, like rent. It doesn't make sense for all situations, but I bet Abby lee will have to pay for her own room and board.

Wow, I have never heard of anything like that, is it common?
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda

Wow, I have never heard of anything like that, is it common?

Yes, basically if you have money you will pay room and board. The laws generally limit collections and forgive fees if the incarcerated person doesn't have any assets. But in ALMs case, I'm sure she'll have a bill.

ETA - it's a rather controversial topic, but I personally think in these sorts of cases, it's appropriate to charge the convicted person. It truly will make even more of an impression.
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
I am dissapointed to hear that she has been given jail time, it does not sound like an appropriate consequence. I know in the Us you guys have a high incarceration rate but it costs tax payers an enormous amount of money to keep someone in jail.

She is not a violent criminal, so there is no dire need to keep her out of the community. The problem was withholding money the government was entitled to, so they impose jail time which will cost them significant amounts of tax money anyway. Surely there are more appropriate solutions.

You are correct, and can also add that in the end everyone she tried to cheat (her creditors) was paid in full. At that point, the guess was that she'd het a stiff fine and probation. Probably some community service as well.

BUT:

The government discovered that one of the things she did to try and hide money from the court was when, coming back from a tour of Australia, she divvied up $120,000 amongst her dancers in bundles of less than $10,000 for them to carry through customs for her.

The judge was pretty ticked off; this is called involving minors in the commission of a felony.

As a result, prosecutors are saying, they agreed that she needed to spend some time in the can
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
I am dissapointed to hear that she has been given jail time, it does not sound like an appropriate consequence. I know in the Us you guys have a high incarceration rate but it costs tax payers an enormous amount of money to keep someone in jail. She is not a violent criminal, so there is no dire need to keep her out of the community. The problem was withholding money the government was entitled to, so they impose jail time which will cost them significant amounts of tax money anyway. Surely there are more appropriate solutions.

Well, no, the bolded is not the problem at all.  She ripped off people and their businesses.

She was given protection under chapter 11 of US Bankruptcy law, which means that the courts are actively deciding which bills she can pay, and what portion of her bills she can pay.  And basically wiping the remaining balance clean.  You sold her something for $4,000?  Great, here's $150 to cover it, under US law you are not allowed to collect the rest.

What she did was hide THREE QUARTERS OF A MILLION DOLLARS in secret accounts, and lie to the court.  Literally, she said she could not pay the bills, the courts were determining who got screwed and how hard, while she was sitting on almost a million dollars cash.

And then enlist minors to assist her while she violated federal money transfer laws, most likely to also hide that from the courts.

I'm OK with jail for anyone convicted of stealing a million dollars (ETA: even if you are caught and give it back).

DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Legalities aside, the more interesting and/Or germane news is that reportedly, at both the Monday and the Tuesday court sessions Abby was accompanied by Kelly Hyland and Christi Lukasiak, who reportedly sat right behind her.

What to make of that?
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
https://instagram.com/p/BT43ivshwwU/

I'd say it wasn't supposed to be a show of support!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
https://instagram.com/p/BT43ivshwwU/ I'd say it wasn't supposed to be a show of support!

Oh wow! That's Minister Dawn from the first episode, right?[wink]
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO

You are correct, and can also add that in the end everyone she tried to cheat (her creditors) was paid in full. At that point, the guess was that she'd het a stiff fine and probation. Probably some community service as well.

BUT:

The government discovered that one of the things she did to try and hide money from the court was when, coming back from a tour of Australia, she divvied up $120,000 amongst her dancers in bundles of less than $10,000 for them to carry through customs for her.

The judge was pretty ticked off; this is called involving minors in the commission of a felony.

As a result, prosecutors are saying, they agreed that she needed to spend some time in the can

They ended up dropping the charge with her using the minors.
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Supposedly Christi and Kelly were character witnesses....not for the defensce
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Aaaand, she apparently reported to prison ....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/07/12/dance-moms-star-abby-lee-miller-reports-prison/471450001/
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Aaaand, she apparently reported to prison ....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/07/12/dance-moms-star-abby-lee-miller-reports-prison/471450001/

A little me time? Tacky as usual!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
How long before you think someone yells at her to save her tears for her pillow
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.