Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 10      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Always check your spam folder, sometimes stuff ends up in there that you actually wanted.  A bunch of girls at dd's "other" studio auditioned for Rockettes SI last year.  All but one was accepted.  Unfortunately for one of the girls, her mother found her acceptance email in her spam folder a week before she would have gone, too late to make arrangements to attend.

DD, 11, was referred to the junior program from her first audition last week.  I was actually pretty sad and disappointed, but dd was fine with it.  I may send her to the junior program, which I'd actually forgotten about even after I looked into it last year.  It sounds like a neat program and is only 2 weeks so she could go to the 2 week program at her home school as well, then just take a few classes in July and come back rested in August.  She's actually very excited about the upcoming auditions on her list, even though she knows she won't go to those programs even if she's accepted, which isn't very likely to begin with.
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #52 
DD heard from her first audition yesterday - PNB.  She was accepted.[smile]  She didn't feel that confident at the audition, so it was a very nice surprise.  I think she was a little intimidated because she was so short compared to all the other dancers and thought they were all very talented.  We are waiting on Joffrey Chicago now.  That audition she felt much more confident about.  This is the one she wants to attend so hopefully PNB's audition was a good introduction into this interesting SI audition world and maybe a good sign??  I know so little about all of this so maybe I am just hoping it is.  These auditions have SO many talented dancers.  I really don't know how they choose.  It must be so hard.
iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #53 
PNB is very selective. Congrats to your dancer! [smile]
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #54 
DD has her Joffrey audition tomorrow. She did the Joffrey Experience last summer in NYC and really enjoyed it. This program was brand new last year and had faculty from Complexions, including Desmond Richardson. It's a much smaller, more intense program than Joffrey usually does. I'm assuming that she will get in again as the Joffrey audition really is more for placement and scholarships but with the success of the program last year they could be more selective this year, so we'll see.
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg*lover
PNB is very selective. Congrats to your dancer! [smile]

Thank you!!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Congratulations on PNB for your dd, bellapitcrewmom!

PNB is one of my dd's 3 long shots. She auditioned for it last weekend (1/10) and felt like she had a good class, but has learned that means little esp with her lack of height and the fact that she was auditioning in a room that was mainly dancers from SAB (over 60 in the room total for ages 17-18). The faculty at her school reviews SI audition choices and said it would be a good fit except for the height issue.  Peter Boal even spoke to her after class, but that also means nothing except that she knows he did actually watch her this time. It's actually a funny little story. He commented that he has only ever seen one other dancer from her old school in all his years of auditioning (that dancer did attend PNB and eventually year round). Dd has auditioned for him once before which tells you he never noticed her before! LOL!! And, we know others from that school have gone to that audition too, so obviously he never noticed them either!  

Anyway, one would think if your dd was accepted to PNB, she would also get into Joffrey Chicago. But, you just never know. From reading results on Ballet Talk, this seems to be one crazy audition season and it's still early. 

My favorite SI audition season was about 2 years ago. Dd was accepted at her first choice the very first weekend of auditions. <sigh>
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Congratulations on PNB for your dd, bellapitcrewmom!

PNB is one of my dd's 3 long shots. She auditioned for it last weekend (1/10) and felt like she had a good class, but has learned that means little esp with her lack of height and the fact that she was auditioning in a room that was mainly dancers from SAB (over 60 in the room total for ages 17-18). The faculty at her school reviews SI audition choices and said it would be a good fit except for the height issue.  Peter Boal even spoke to her after class, but that also means nothing except that she knows he did actually watch her this time. It's actually a funny little story. He commented that he has only ever seen one other dancer from her old school in all his years of auditioning (that dancer did attend PNB and eventually year round). Dd has auditioned for him once before which tells you he never noticed her before! LOL!! And, we know others from that school have gone to that audition too, so obviously he never noticed them either!  

Anyway, one would think if your dd was accepted to PNB, she would also get into Joffrey Chicago. But, you just never know. From reading results on Ballet Talk, this seems to be one crazy audition season and it's still early. 

My favorite SI audition season was about 2 years ago. Dd was accepted at her first choice the very first weekend of auditions. <sigh>

Thank you tendumom!  [smile]
I am very proud of her, but I know (from all I've been reading here and on Ballet Talk) that at 12, while it is an honor, it is not nearly as difficult to be accepted as it is at age 17.  She is very short too so it might be quite difficult in the future if PNB likes taller dancers.
Was it you who suggested black and white photos?  I did follow that advice for the Joffery application.  I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing so I appreciate the advice/stories here and on Ballet Talk immensely.  We are not from a pre-professional school and from age 3 to age 11 my daughter only took 1/2 to 1hr of ballet a week depending on what age she was at the time.  She attended a few Milwaukee Ballet classes this summer and now takes 3hrs of ballet/week plus pointe class.  I am just now learning about the different styles of ballet.  Like I said - completely clueless.  lol!  It was a new ballet teacher at her studio this year (classically trained, attended SI's growing up and the YAGP) who inspired my daughter.  She asked me about a month ago to attend Joffery this summer.  And so it begins.
Have there been some surprising results for some?  I have not read about that yet.
Best wishes to your daughter!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Well, DD8 is in the middle of her ABT Young Dancer Summer Workshop audition. She is most definitely the youngest and tiniest (for height) in there. She is #19 and I don't think there are 20 total.

She seemed fine going in and insisted I leave the building altogether. Hopefully, she has fun because looking at the girls there (so many skinny, skinny girls) and their skills, and granted most look more like 10-11, I do not expect an acceptance email coming her way.

If she gives me any feedback to "How did it go?" other than "Good" and "Fine" I'll share. That would be unique because it is rare that I get more out of her than that. LOL!

3dancermommy

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Heidi459 have you heard yet?  My dd auditioned for ABT on the 12th.  Its our first one and I realized I made a boo boo after reading some posts from here.  I guess your suppose to rank your choices?  I just put a check mark on the location I want her to go! The others weren't feasible anyways.  Hope they don't count that against her!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dancermommy
Heidi459 have you heard yet?  My dd auditioned for ABT on the 12th.  Its our first one and I realized I made a boo boo after reading some posts from here.  I guess your suppose to rank your choices?  I just put a check mark on the location I want her to go! The others weren't feasible anyways.  Hope they don't count that against her!

That's what my dd did too and I'm also wondering if that might work against her (since she checked NY of course which would have been a long shot).  She didn't realize she was supposed to rank them and I didn't bother to review her card before she submitted it.

Still haven't heard.. and now we're on day 13 and we don't know a single person who hasn't heard.

I did read somewhere that, according to an ABT rep, not getting in isn't always a "you' aren't good enough for any of our programs" as much as a "we don't have a good fit for where you are".  So in other words maybe you're not quite good enough for the best ones but you're too good for the other ones. So just something to keep in mind if you get a no.   

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
Well, DD8 is in the middle of her ABT Young Dancer Summer Workshop audition. She is most definitely the youngest and tiniest (for height) in there. She is #19 and I don't think there are 20 total. She seemed fine going in and insisted I leave the building altogether. Hopefully, she has fun because looking at the girls there (so many skinny, skinny girls) and their skills, and granted most look more like 10-11, I do not expect an acceptance email coming her way. If she gives me any feedback to "How did it go?" other than "Good" and "Fine" I'll share. That would be unique because it is rare that I get more out of her than that. LOL!

Don't write her off yet.  The younger programs are much easier to get into. Not only because they are looking for something different but because they don't nearly have as many kids to choose from. If she really does want to go, as opposed to just auditioning for the experience, you could very well be pleasantly surprised.   
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Yes.. don't worry about ranking choices for ABT. I really don't think they pay that much attention to the ranking at all! People put down one choice and get some where else entirely. We tried that one purpose one year and she was given a completely different location. 

Heidi, I'd send them ABT an email at this point. They tend to release the acceptances for an entire site on the same day. I'm betting your email is lost in cyberspace and as they have a short span for replying, I'd start the process sooner with them than with others, if your dd might actually attend an ABT site if accepted. If she auditioned for them last year, you may be able to get into the site with the same information as last year. Oh, wait.. if this is her first year auditioning for ABT and everyone else had auditioned before, it could actually take longer, but generally not more than a day or two. 

Audition number 3 for dd today. No word from the first two yet. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #63 
I did send an email on Thursday, tendumom.  No response to that either.

It makes sense that they would release the acceptances for an each site on successive days and then do the denials but the people dd knows who were denied acceptance have already heard too.  Days ago.  That's why we're scratching our heads.

Not that it really matters, it's just out of curiousity.  She won't go as I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money on travel and accommodations.  We're just using this year's audition results as a baseline for future years.

Good luck to your dd on her audition today.  I think we're doing number 3 tomorrow.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
They are notoriously slow.. and I can see why. Just look at the numbers at one audition alone! Hope you hear something soon and glad it doesn't matter about the timing as much. I think it was only something like 2 weeks to reply, no exceptions. I tried to get one last year and it was a big fat no. 

Phx115, remember that the do know how old the girls are and that they grow at different rates. They do group them almost entirely by age at the workshop. We know a girl who attended 2 or 3 years in a row and several that only went once. Those that we know who were accepted had very neat and clean technique. Most did not have any tricks up their sleeves, just very clean technique. Good luck to her! 

I am driving myself crazy today trying to record YAGP performances. Recording the screen from the live stream so dd can see her friends. The numbers are off and they are running early (since when? LOL) so I already missed 2 of her friends. Fortunately, each has another variation. 
3dancermommy

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #65 
Thanks Heidi and Tendumom! I just feel bad that if she didn't get in its because I didn't pay attention to the question! The only feasible location is OC because her uncle lives right there.  No airplane ticket or housing needed.  At the audition they said 7 to 10 days so of course that's translating 5 days in my head! I hope you hear soon Heidi.  So nerve wrecking!
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #66 
Totally off topic but can you comment on the contemporary you are seeing so far. Are you seeing more lyrical looking pieces in the senior division or more modern or more what would be typical of a ballet company which has a contemporary program? Are you seeing any contemporary pieces on pointe?
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Dd 1 is sick this weekend and gonna miss a bunch of planned auditions. Trying to use my "free" weekend to catch up on household chores, but wondering how big a wrench this throws into the audition season. Merde to all those auditioning this weekend. There's a lot going on.
3dancermommy

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #68 
There is a lot going on!  Unfortunately, we choose to skip them in support of brother's soccer games.  Sometimes I have to just choose family.  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #69 
For YAGP, I didn't watch straight through. For the contemporary, I saw more modern/contemporary than lyrical looking. I went to the finals in NYC last year and it was also much more modern/contemporary than lyrical-like in the senior division. Same for the junior division.  More done with pointe shoes on in the senior than the junior. I don't think it matters as much as a well executed and well choreographed piece. 
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #70 
We attended part of our local YAGP.  DD didn't compete.  We didn't get to watch the contemporary in any age group except pre-comp, which included lots of lyrical, jazz and acro.  A lot of the pre-comp kids entered only contemporary.  I would have loved to see the junior and senior contemporary but other obligations interfered.  None of the girls from our school did contemporary, which tells me something.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #71 
Thanks for the info. DD has gotten a very late start to her contemporary variation and I'm trying to get a good feel for what's out there. I don't think I've seen the senior contemporary section ever.  

Also feeling stressed because kids are having less than stellar season so far. DD1 has been sick and missed a bunch of auditions and DD2 had a bad audition today. She said that she just wasn't feeling it. DD1 said she totally understood how that happens.  I looked at her quizzically but she told me it was hard to explain. Hoping she "feels it" later in the season. She was excited to go today and is looking forward to some other auditions so I don't think it's about her not wanting to be there....  She will be 14 this summer and can stay local if she wants, so it's not that big of a deal, but I don't quite get it. DD1 is 17 and probably should go away, but has started the audition season on the wrong side of the bed so to speak....
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
We attended part of our local YAGP.  DD didn't compete.  We didn't get to watch the contemporary in any age group except pre-comp, which included lots of lyrical, jazz and acro.  A lot of the pre-comp kids entered only contemporary.  I would have loved to see the junior and senior contemporary but other obligations interfered.  None of the girls from our school did contemporary, which tells me something.

What does that tell you? You mean the contemporary is amazing or horrible to something in between lol?

ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #73 
I suspect, dancer456, that there is a contemporary hole in the training at dd's ballet school.  They've got some excellent classical ballet instructors, and it shows, but I don't see anything happening with modern, contemporary, or jazz.  DD is not excited to take those classes at this school but has very much enjoyed them elsewhere.  Observation week was not encouraging.  That the older students aren't entering the contemporary side of the competition makes me think things do not improve at the upper levels as I'd hoped.  Didn't mean to be cryptic, lol!
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #74 
Just an FYI with YAGP.  You must have solid contemporary dance skills or you will not advance at the Junior and Senior levels.  You can only get the Grand Prix if you are excellent in BOTH contemporary and ballet. At finals in NYC you do your contemporary FIRST to qualify to do your classical.  It's solidly a classical ballet comp but it requires good contemporary  because YAGP knows that today's ballet companies require dancers to be able to handle modern and contemporary pieces.  So,  if the school is taking people to YAGP and not having them do contemporary, then it's ignoring a big cue from YAGP and the larger dance world.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Only 2 girls from dds school did contemporary at Yagp this weekend, last year no one did. It's necessary to advance though the classical score qualifies you, so I don't get why they domt. We have an excellent Ailey style modern teacher, he choreographed my dds piece and the other and would do more if anyone is interested. Most of the serious students don't even take the non ballet classes, I wonder what they are thinking sometimes. Every ballet company has contemporary rep these days.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: