Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 10      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
dancermom28

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm645
My daughter is doing a couple auditions, but honestly the idea of sending my 13 year old away for five weeks alone makes me seriously nauseous.  I'm not sure if I can get past that. 

Same here. I thought I was the only one, and then my hubby has a much harder time after I told him that PNB (after my DD auditioned this past weekend) is in Seattle and is about 4 to 5 states away from us. Let's just say, he said NO WAY!!!!! I had always though my hubby would be fine and I would be the one bawling my eyes out if it ever came to that point, turns out, my hubby was the one that is not fine with it. There is something about the Daddy and Daughter relationship. [smile] He said to me that he will have a hard time letting my DD be away from him and me in another state all alone.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
My daughter is doing a couple auditions, but honestly the idea of sending my 13 year old away for five weeks alone makes me seriously nauseous.  I'm not sure if I can get past that

Awww... 

Truth be told, I don't think it is necessary at 13.  Sure, going to the auditions is a nice experience. Necessary? No. Going away to an SI at that age? Definitely not especially if there is dance available closer to home in the summer. My dd couldn't wait to go away to an SI. She went and then realized that the training at her smaller home school was better than the training in the more nationally known larger intensive. The costs of these programs is not cheap. I usually estimate about $1000 per week, including dorms. That doesn't include airfare, hotel if needed, pointe shoes, and so on. 

This season is going to drag for us, I think. Dd has two auditions this weekend, both for programs that prefer taller dancers, so just on that, she is unlikely to get an acceptance. When you read that, keep in mind that she is 17. Height is not an issue at younger ages. At 17 and up, it starts to become an issue because they are looking not just to fill their SI but also who might fill their trainee and apprentice positions. The program she is most likely to attend this summer is at the very end of the audition season, in mid-Feb. She has 6 total auditions, 3 of which are total long shots, 2 are unknowns, and 1 is probably a yes. That one is where she was last summer. She had planned to return there at the end of this past summer and I think she will go back unless she gets into one of the long shots. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
My daughter is doing a couple auditions, but honestly the idea of sending my 13 year old away for five weeks alone makes me seriously nauseous.  I'm not sure if I can get past that. 

Mine will be 15 by the time the summer gets here and I'm not all that comfortable with the idea of her going off for 5 wks either. And then, like tendumom points out, I wonder about the value.  What would I really be getting for my 5K?  Am I spending more for a summer "experience" than ballet training?  Would I be able get more for my dollar if we stayed close to home and put together a schedule of open classes/private lessons/wkshops and local SI's?  It's definitely a lot to think about.

Dd is doing an audition for either Carolina Ballet or Gelsey Kirkland on Sunday.  Again, just for the experience.  Not to mention the extra class.  This is going to be one heck of a run for her as we're going to try to hit just about every one that comes to the Boston Ballet on every Sunday over the next couple of months.  She's going to get quite the education on this process.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
My dd went away to another state for an SI for 4 weeks when she was 13.  It was very difficult on her the first few days.  Major homesickness, to the point that I almost didn't get on the plane to fly home. After a few days she was fine as I knew she would be and by the end she didn't want to leave.  The next year, she was 14, she went away for 3 weeks and while it was in the same state, she did stay in the dorms and couldn't wait to kick me out the door after she was all moved in. Someone left a review on ballet talk about late night running in the halls and screaming and I'm pretty sure my child would have been involved in that.  

Somewhere in there she did get some good ballet training.  
kmw08

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Hi everyone. I have not posted on this site for many years. So glad it is still around.

My dd 15 will be auditioning this year. She has attended summer intensives and workshops the past two summers but those were not audition-based. She is not as interested in the classical ballet-focused programs. She loves ballet but wants a program that will provide contemporary, modern, etc as well. So far she's registered for the Alvin Ailey audition. She'd love to go there. I'm not too sure what other program she should audition for. Any suggestions? Her backup will be the Ailey 2 week workshop or her dance school's workshop. TIA!

Good luck to everyone!
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Km
I think that Complexions, Cedar Lake, Martha Graham, and Juilliard all have good programs with summer intensives. They might be good to try so that your dd can compare programs.
kmw08

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into those. I was reading some past threads and saw that Joffrey offers a Jazz & Contemporary intensive. I'm going to look into that as well.
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Technically she would turn 14 soon after she arrived, so I should be thinking of her as a 14 year old. 

After reading this all last night, I made a serious effort to remove the emotion and think logically about what is best for her and decided that it isn't necessary for her at this point.  If I use the $5000 benchmark, she can do a two week intensive here plus her studio's classes, and that would still leave enough money for something like 7 or 8 hours of private lessons every week so we could add about as much of that as we want.      

As in incoming freshman, she will participate in the high school's strength and conditioning program all summer (for free).  And if she makes the high school dance team that adds several rehearsal a week that are primarily jazz and hip hop. That has cost- uniforms and whatever, but we will be paying for that regardless.  

That all seems sufficient to me.  And since several of you confirm that it isn't necessary, I can be done with any guilt that says I'm holding her back just so that I can feel better.  [smile]  Thanks for that!
mia'smommy

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My dd8 is auditioning for artEmotion in Cleveland. They have a junior intensive that's appropriate for her age. It's a joint intensive with Allison DeBona and Ballet in Cleveland. She's really excited [smile]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Technically she would turn 14 soon after she arrived, so I should be thinking of her as a 14 year old. 

After reading this all last night, I made a serious effort to remove the emotion and think logically about what is best for her and decided that it isn't necessary for her at this point.  If I use the $5000 benchmark, she can do a two week intensive here plus her studio's classes, and that would still leave enough money for something like 7 or 8 hours of private lessons every week so we could add about as much of that as we want.      

As in incoming freshman, she will participate in the high school's strength and conditioning program all summer (for free).  And if she makes the high school dance team that adds several rehearsal a week that are primarily jazz and hip hop. That has cost- uniforms and whatever, but we will be paying for that regardless.  

That all seems sufficient to me.  And since several of you confirm that it isn't necessary, I can be done with any guilt that says I'm holding her back just so that I can feel better.  [smile]  Thanks for that!

You would definitely not be holding her back imo.  We had a long talk with dd's SOs last night & even they were pretty adamant that these 5 wk programs were not necessary for her age (she's a freshman now).  And these two are crazy intense instructors, born/bred/danced professionally in Russia as well as here in the US... very impressive resumes.  IDK Maybe they have a bias but they talked a lot about how a lot of these programs are nothing but big money makers & how you really have to be careful that you're not paying for more of an expensive summer camp experience w/a little dance thrown in.  That a lot of them don't focus enough on strengthening the foundation which is what the kids really need at this age.  I think it's really easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all but if you can find strong training closer to home, I think that's really your better bet.  No guilt necessary [smile]
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
If you haven't taken a look at Ballet Talk for Dancers, another online community, do. There are extensive threads on each intensive and it's moderated by ballet teachers.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia'smommy
My dd8 is auditioning for artEmotion in Cleveland. They have a junior intensive that's appropriate for her age. It's a joint intensive with Allison DeBona and Ballet in Cleveland. She's really excited [smile]

Best wishes for a great audition for your DD! That looks like a great program. I might keep this one in mind for next year for DD.
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:

You would definitely not be holding her back imo.  We had a long talk with dd's SOs last night & even they were pretty adamant that these 5 wk programs were not necessary for her age (she's a freshman now).  And these two are crazy intense instructors, born/bred/danced professionally in Russia as well as here in the US... very impressive resumes.  IDK Maybe they have a bias but they talked a lot about how a lot of these programs are nothing but big money makers & how you really have to be careful that you're not paying for more of an expensive summer camp experience w/a little dance thrown in.  That a lot of them don't focus enough on strengthening the foundation which is what the kids really need at this age.  I think it's really easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all but if you can find strong training closer to home, I think that's really your better bet.  No guilt necessary [smile]

Along that line, class size was a concern for me.  She still really benefits from a teacher moving her foot, hand, hip, head, etc. that tiny extra inch so that she can feel the difference between good placement and excellent placement.  I can't see a lot of that happening in a class with 30 students, and I think she is at a point that those subtleties are really a point of focus.  

I'm relieved that a decision is made and that I feel at peace with it.  I hope others can get there sooner rather than later.  The "what are we going to do" anxiety is so difficult. 

Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Yup tendumom, I'm definitely enjoying the cheap seats while it lasts lol.

Her school doesn't do an SI, they do weekend camps for her age group and I'm definitely going to try and register her for those. There is a local studio and I'm going to see what times their summer stuff runs. I hold a full time job a half day session just isn't practical with my work schedule.

There's a half day camp with Alberta Ballet that runs for a week that we'll do as I have family we will stay with and it will be part of our holidays. The cost is incredibly reasonable I think. There's also one with YBCS out of Regina as well, that would be a little more expensive as we'd have pay for somewhere to sleep etc.

kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
I don't think a SI is super important until around the 14-15 yr old mark (and probably an older 14..).  It can be an eye opening experience for a dancer to go beyond their home studio and see dancers from other studios.  It also depends on the quality of the home studio too.  We are hoping to get into the Jr intensive at our home studio.  It is attached to a large company.  Audition experience can be useful too even if the child isn't planning on attending the intensive.  The hard part is telling them no if they get in. [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 

ITA. And it can be very hard not to get caught up if they are accepted! When dd's first ever audition resulted in an acceptance, it resulted in a serious discussion about whether we would send her or not. Dh thought she should go and dd, in the end, decided not to go to this 5 week intensive. Instead, she we scrambled and found something quasi-local that she could go away to for 2 weeks and still attend her home school's 5 week program. 

Anyway, first 2 auditions done. First sounds like a good experience. Loved the class and was surprised that she was actually noticed. The director spoke to her for a few moments after the audition. He had clearly read her card and connected it with her. He actually chatted with her about her decision to change schools. There were 60 in that audition class, so she feels good that he took that moment. She still doesn't think she'll get in, but she's glad she knows he at least noticed her. Second audition was today and she hated it. Too crowded and too many dancers unaware of basic audition etiquette and routine, too many without spacial awareness (dancing wayyyy too close to others at random) and just too many dancers in a small room. And this wasn't even a NYC audition. She was disappointed that the teacher and adjudicators did nothing about it.

For anyone reading that who is concerned that their dancers don't understand audition/class etiquette, this was for ages 15 and up for a competitive SI program. By this age, you should have a clue how to move in center so that you don't run into other dancers. You should also know that in a large audition in particular, if you stay in numerical order, the adjudicators have an easier time. In a huge class of 60, if they tell you to all go in groups of 6, you don't keep changing what group you are in. Actually, in a regular ballet class, you generally do not do that either. Dd's feeling is that never would have happened in a NYC audition and she's never seen adjudicators or teachers tolerate that before. She said they just shook their heads and laughed a little. Dd has been doing SI auditions for several years now and has not encountered this sort of issue before.  

ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
DD, 11 years 4 months, went for her first "real" audition today.  She's auditioned at the home school the last two years, even though it is a given that students of the school are accepted.  She auditioned at a local school last year where the audition was mostly a formality, though I guess someone with no ballet training at all might have been rejected.  Today was at the pre-pro school that is local enough for commuting for the summer but too far to attend year-round.  It does draw students from around the country and even internationally in the summer but I don't know that it would be considered one of the top programs.  It seems in talking with families, reading warmup jackets, and by dd's report that at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the kids auditioning are from competition studios that don't have strong ballet programs.  This surprised me a bit.  I thought there would be more "bun heads."  What surprised me more was the way dd strolled in like she was completely at home, smiled and made eye contact with the desk staff and others in the lobby, and jumped up and went off to warm up as soon as the invitation was offered.  I know how nervous she was before we left home today!  She said she didn't like the class much.  They announced at the start that they would not be offering corrections for the audition class and this didn't seem right to her.  She's also used to small ballet classes (3-8 kids) and there were 60 in a rather crowded room.  She was very glad that she went, it "wasn't as scary as she thought and kinda fun."  She'll go to a few more auditions this spring, including the one at her home school, but those are just for the experience.  Tuition alone will be a stretch financially wherever she trains this summer.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
That's helpful tendumom about staying in numerical order in a big intensive.

I would just say that at least DOING auditions prior to being serious about them  at whatever age you want that to be for your situation and dancer might be pretty important in light of the facts that you present.

I don't live in a major metro area with access to a daily schedule of classes for a 12 year old dancer during the summer.  It just doesn't exist in more remote areas.  You could not possibly get 20 hours a week of a pre pro ballet in my area for 5 weeks in the summer.  The studios simply aren't that serious.  The clientele is not there.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
We are considering a fairly local (about 3 hours away, still in same state) SI this year.  My dd is 13 and won't be 14 until mid August.  She also starts HS this fall.  Many of the girls from our studio do this SI.  It's 2 weeks long, mid July.  The audition would be on Jan 31st.

On the one hand, I'd love for a different set of fresh eyes on dd13.  However, the classes are fairly large and I don't think there's a whole lot of individualized attention.

Dd is hemming and hawing about it, so I'm not sure she's ready.  She has no problem being away at camp, but I'm not seeing enough fire in her to want to do this right now.

However, she does want to check out the summer session/master's classes at a local pre-pro studio.  I can't believe that we're actually thinking about making another studio change, but she really loves ballet and I don't believe that our current studio offers enough ballet training per level.  We might get more bang for our buck doing the summer session and we can check out what a true pre-pro studio is like.

Love reading about everyone's dance journey's.  Tendumom, my dd is just the same about not wanting to miss rehearsals.  [smile]
dancermom28

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Just got the results back from two of the summer intensives she auditioned for. My DD didn't make it. I'm so sad. But on the other hand, at least I don't have to worry about the money to finance the Summer Intensive. I don't know if my daughter wants to audition anymore, we'll see, there is ABT auditions coming up in my city, but we'll see. I will ask her if she wants to audition, I just hope that my daughter doesn't get her self esteem lowered. I did tell her that I am not putting pressure on her to make it, it was really just for fun and for the experience of auditioning.

Good luck to everyone else.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Sorry to hear that, dancermom28. I noticed you had mentioned PNB earlier. That's a tough one. 

That's the down side. It can be discouraging. I am a little concerned about dd this year. Last year was very discouraging to her. She did not get in to her first choice, a choice that was supposed to be a non-issue for her according to her then teachers. No one predicted that rejection. That was coupled with some long shot auditions that were early in the season which were also rejections. So, she started off the season with a handful of no's in her pocket (and a yes from ABT but she had been to their program before and had been accepted every year for many years, so it didn't "count" to her).  She ended up ending the season earlier than planned so the ratio of no's to yes's wasn't a good one. That said, while I know you are not planning to send your dd to an away SI this year, I can say that she really did end up at the right place. It really was a dance-journey changing experience for her. 

So that's the background. This year, dd also has the long shots stacked at the front of the audition season.  I am concerned about her psyche once the results roll in. The faculty at her current school seem to believe these long shots are all possibilities, but we will pleasantly surprised if she gets even a waitlist from one of them.

ABT is a VERY large program spread over 5 different locations. As a result, an acceptance from them is more likely than from the other "three letter" bigger name programs. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom28
Just got the results back from two of the summer intensives she auditioned for. My DD didn't make it. I'm so sad. But on the other hand, at least I don't have to worry about the money to finance the Summer Intensive. I don't know if my daughter wants to audition anymore, we'll see, there is ABT auditions coming up in my city, but we'll see. I will ask her if she wants to audition, I just hope that my daughter doesn't get her self esteem lowered. I did tell her that I am not putting pressure on her to make it, it was really just for fun and for the experience of auditioning.

Good luck to everyone else.

Is she sad too?  If so, I hope it's only brief disappointment & that she can regroup & realize there's so much to be gained just from the experience whether you get in or not.  My dd didn't get into SAB but that was no big surprise as it was a definite long shot... she didn't go into it w/any expectation that she'd be accepted.  It was more of an opportunity to see what other girls her age are bringing to the table... to get a sense of how she compares.  And so far she's come out of each audition feeling satisfied that she was able to hold her own.  The plan is to reaudition for many of the same SI's every year w/the hope that w/each passing year more of the nos will be replaced w/ yesses. 

Still waiting to hear back from ABT & don't know what the delay is.  They said she'd hear w/in 10 days & tomorrow will be day 12.  The other 10+ dancers she knows who auditioned have already heard, whether they were in or out.  Odd. 

Fortunately dd knows that although the recent switch has already made notable improvements in all those little things that make a serious ballet dancer, she still needs a fair amount of work on her turnout. And that that could be the thing that keeps her out of any of the big SI's this year.  Just another adventure.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Still waiting to hear back from ABT & don't know what the delay is.  They said she'd hear w/in 10 days & now tomorrow will be day 12.  The other 10+ dancers she knows who auditioned have already heard, whether they were in or out.  Odd.

DD auditioned for Ellison nearly 2 weeks ago. They said we would hear within two weeks, but dd knows of 3 people from her audition site that heard early this week. They were all accepted. DD still hasn't heard, so that doesn't look very promising. She has two more auditions this weekend, and then she is done. Short audition season for her this year.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Ellison is slow. Call Diane and ask.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
Quote:
Still waiting to hear back from ABT & don't know what the delay is.  They said she'd hear w/in 10 days & now tomorrow will be day 12.  The other 10+ dancers she knows who auditioned have already heard, whether they were in or out.  Odd.
DD auditioned for Ellison nearly 2 weeks ago. They said we would hear within two weeks, but dd knows of 3 people from her audition site that heard early this week. They were all accepted. DD still hasn't heard, so that doesn't look very promising. She has two more auditions this weekend, and then she is done. Short audition season for her this year.

I've heard that too... that not hearing immediately is a bad sign.  But I know for a fact that a number of ABT acceptance emails were received even on day 10 so... who knows.  It's not over 'til it's over[smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: