Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 10 of 10     «   Prev   7   8   9   10
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #226 
Wow! Just took me forever to read all these posts. DD8 just started her SI today. It's for 2 weeks at her studio. I was so worried she wouldn't be able to handle all the hours but she's so excited and I'm sure she'll do fine. It's mostly ballet but also includes ballroom, theatre, character, modern and, contemporary. Mostly all ballet though. I'm hesitantly looking forward to when she's a bit older and checking out the NYC area SI mentioned by all of you.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #227 
Dd is on her last week of a three week SI. Although I am super proud for my mommas girl to not be homesick, I have resorted to sending her family supper pics and pics of her favorite breakfast. (Food there sucks) in hopes that I can convince her to come home!!

I can't wait to see her this Friday and see how much she's improved. The schedule looked awesome!
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #228 
Well DD8 is exhausted and her feet hurt. And now she's at hip hop. She already said she doesn't want to sign up for next week. I told her to wait till Friday and then decide. I'm not sure how much "fun" a SI is supposed to be for an 8 year old but it seems very strict and not much fun. She said she's learning. I'm trying not to judge her endurance or lack there of at this age as an indication of the future. [frown]
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #229 
Dancingdd - if she doesn't want to do it, don't. She's still little, she needs to be having fun in the summer not dancing if it isn't fun. Step back and breathe, I know she's your first dancer but you seem very stressed by the entire "mom of dancer" role and it really shouldn't be stressful. Don't take your queues from social media, television or even other kids in the studio, take your queues from YOUR dancer. 
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #230 
Thanks and I am. I know she's young and I want her to have fun along the way. I'm not pushing her. I told her she can decide how much she wants to do in September. I watched the last 15 minutes today and I can already see she's learning but I also saw a tired little girl. If she wants to do a dance camp next summer we will go to a less intense studio so she can spend at least half the time having fun. [smile]
I'm really not stressed so much anymore about it all. I think I've realized that most of it is out of my hands and up to her. It's hard for me to feel like I cannot control this but logically I can't at all. I've asked myself how I would feel if she gave it up all together and honesty I felt a little relieved. I love it but it's so much work and money!
Oglefresh

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #231 
I keep seeing comments about the ABT "satellites" and curious if a DD is accepted aside from NY are they sent geographically from where you live or is there a "level placement " for each site? If so what is the perceived ranking down starting with NY obviously. I hear wherever you go the faculty is good and training will be realized.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #232 

It is in part perception and in part based on information that ABT once provided (and might still provide) about the different locations. I have not looked recently, but several years ago, there was a letter from the then SI director that was lengthier than the descriptions provided more recently.

NYC and CA were listed as being for advanced dancers. Until a year or two ago, it was possible to do NYC and then go to CA right afterwards. There were always a few in the top level who did. Dd's first year in CA, the top level had a number of trainees and even a few second co members in the top level. Not so much the next year. 

NC and Detroit were listed as being for intermediate and advanced dancers. (Detroit was replaced by NC).

Texas and Alabama were indicated as being for dancers who needed to work on things like placement, refinement, strength, stamina, etc. Alabama used to take the youngest dancers (the age limit was lower for that site, at least back when dd was doing ABT auditions)

Things may easily have changed. I thought I saw on Ballet Talk that NC was not listed as a site. That could completely change everything. Also, with CA occurring earlier, it is possibly no longer thought as a program for advanced students to prepare for the fall semester. 

Note that they accept students to JKO from ALL locations and that National Training Scholars also come from all the various locations. That means some really talented kids end up at Alabama, which is often viewed as being "lesser." 

Don't get caught up in these perceptions of one site being better than another. ABT has it's act together with this SI thing. As you already said, the faculty is good and the training is also good. They place the dancer where they believe they will benefit the most.  Some don't give it great reviews because dancers may be placed lower than they expect and move slower than they normally do at home... but that's all about gaining that refinement of technique. They are not really placed by geography in our experience nor is your ranking of preferences taken into account very much. DD was accepted to both her first and last choices in different years. She was also accepted to more than 1 site, which is apparently not the norm. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: