Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 10      1   2   3   4   Next   »
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Dd (14) auditioned for ABT today.  Doing SAB tomorrow.  Will try to work in as many others as she can that come local.  Not that I'm really interested in dropping 5K for a summer away just yet (maybe next year) but it will be interesting to see how she fares. Especially after having made the switch this year.

Anyone else jumped on the crazy train yet? 
iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We were supposed to tape her video audition today, but of course she woke up sick so we had to cancel. This happened last year and we never ended up doing a video. We live a distance from any audition site so it is a real pita. This is her make or break year as we are looking for a residential school for next year.

Good luck to everyone!

Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD audition back in October/November for RWB, but since she was wait listed she still will have to apply at other schools in case she doesn't get a call. She made a video Thursday for NBS of Canada and Alberta Ballet. Just need to edit it. I have a feeling we will need to retape parts :S Also not crazy on the price tag! RWB was the cheapest and longest. Crossing fingers.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Well, the insanity was supposed to begin this evening, but dd opted out. It was Exploring Ballet with Suzanne Farrell. She decided she did not want to miss rehearsal for a new piece. Her point is that it is not company affiliated (dd is 17) and she knows that it is a mentally and physically taxing 2 hr master class and knew that would be tough. That's actually the reason she planned to do it. Today was the second day of a mini-winter intensive, so she was dancing 10am-8pm with just a 45 minute break for lunch. I admit I am a little annoyed because I paid for it and because I am worried that she will repeat last year when she was more worried about rehearsals than auditions. One of her classmates went and said it was almost all SAB girls. Not only that but Ms. Farrell had given a master class to most of them a few weeks prior, so she already knew them as well. I suppose it was just as well. I'll mentally consider it a donation to the Kennedy Center!

Her list of programs was reviewed and okayed by the faculty, but they did say her list was long. We had already cut one from that list, so now it's shorter by two. Also on the list is PNB, SAB, Carolina, Charlotte, Austin and maybe Ballet Met. The first two are extreme long shots. She's on the short side for a 17 yr old to get into PNB and SAB is, well, SAB. She did thoroughly enjoy their audition class last year and wants to see what it is like with some actual Balanchine training under her belt. She will likely go back to Austin again though she is interested in all of these companies for the future. 

I have empathy for those video taping. That was not fun when we did it! 
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
After looking at the fees for the SI's I'm just going to enjoy that mine is way too young. The only ones that have auditions near us are Royal Winnipeg Ballet and National Ballet. Alberta Ballet is definitely driveable though.

Anything beyond that would be Video audition.

I'm just gone sit here in my bubble and enjoy my cheap years while they last.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Enjoy those cheap years as long as you can! If there's good local training available, take advantage. After dd went to her first away SI, she learned that the grass isn't always greener. She opted to attend her home SI the next summer for a multitude of reasons. Smaller classes with much more personal attention topped the list followed by a variety of classes in other genres. Her former studio's SI also included Broadway jazz, character. modern, contemporary ballet and hip hop. That was in addition to a choreography workshop, Pilates, stretch, partnering and the usual ballet classes and rehearsals. That school encouraged dancers to attend the home program until around age 14 or 15. One of dd's friends never went anywhere else for an SI and is a ballet major in college... so not going away did not hurt her in the long run.  

Also, some of dd's friends who live in places where not many auditions occur will take a weekend or two and visit a bigger city when they can squeeze in 3 or more auditions in one crazy weekend. 
myasmum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My ds who's 12yrs old is auditioning for the 1st time this yr also interested to see. We are doing local auditions.
He did RWB in Nov, sent away for Royal Ballet (UK) next weekend doing Ellison and Feb Bolshoi as those I heard have great boys programs so we will see don't expect a lot as 1st year but fun to try and see
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Tendumom - I can completely understand why your DD would be exhausted and not want to do it. It is her journey.

Still, a master class/audition with Suzanne Farrell?!? Heck, I'd jump at that chance just to be a fly on the wall. She's a repository of Balanchine technique. All of those ballets that were created on her by Balanchine! Can you imagine the insight she has into those ballets, which are not just performed by NYCB either. She does, or did, have a small company at one time. I saw them in Ann Arbor a couple of years ago. Can you tell I'm an avid fan? I've read her autobiography, the book Balanchine's Mozartiana: Making of a Masterpiece, numerous articles, and watched her autobiography and performance videos more times than I can count. I've only seen her perform live once ... right before she retired from NYCB.

Ballet Chicago is pure Balanchine training. I'm sure you've read their SI reviews on some other forums. It is wonderful that she has so many wonderful opportunities available to her. [smile]

melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My DD9 is going to audition for Festival Ballet junior intensive in Providence. She will probably not want to actually attend, but I think the audition process will be good for her. She could attend, if she wanted, as it's only $700 for both weeks and about 15 minutes from my house. I've read the reviews and it seems pretty decent for a smaller SI. Especially the junior one. [smile]
mddancer

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
DD auditioned for the ABT Young Dancers Workshop today. It was local, so low hassle for us. She has no expectation of getting in, but she wanted the experience. She said it was a fun class. She has already been accepted to a summer program at our local studio, and at age 9, that is all I am really prepared to shell out for.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD auditioned for Ellison yesterday and really enjoyed it. Mr. Ellison was so nice. Unfortunately, next weekend is a huge audition weekend in our area with several big name SI's conducting auditions. DD won't be able to attend any of them though because she is attending the NUVO competition and convention with her contemporary company. The following weekend she will audition for Gelsey Kirkland and Joffrey Ballet School of New York. Joffrey is kind of her "safety" audition, as they seem to accept everyone, and she needs at least one acceptance in order to qualify to not do PE at school. DD will only audition for those three this year. I doubt she will go anywhere, as our summer is shorter this year because the school start dates are shifting for next year. DD is disappointed she can't attend ABT's audition as she loved their intensive last year. Good luck to everybody!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

I know, Phx115! It's an amazing opportunity to just audition. That audition class last year was the beginning of quite a change in dd's journey! She had minimal Balanchine exposure before that and, in all honesty, her former school was rather critical of the Balanchine style in many ways (it was an ABT based school). She did the SAB audition last year at my insistence just for the experience and Suzanne Farrell's was her choice just to see what it was like. She knew she wouldn't get in to SAB and that Farrell's SI was tiny and thus quite competitive, so also a long shot. She loved both of those classes! She loved them more than any audition or masterclass she had ever taken. Then, she went to a Balanchine influenced SI (Ballet Austin) and that was it. She felt like she had found her "thing." She's now studying at a Balanchine style school. Her main teacher is a Balanchine repiteur and often refers to Mr B in class. Pretty much daily per dd. Some of her other teachers include a current NYCB principal, a former SAB ballet mistress of over 20 years and more. She is so incredibly happy being immersed in the style, learning so much and is constantly challenged. 

Others have mentioned Ballet Chicago to her as well, but I believe it is just a school. Her teachers believe she needs to be at a company affiliated SI at this stage of the game, so it is not on the list. Unlike her prior program, the entire faculty reviewed her SI audition list and discussed it with us, removing one program and adding another... and said she needs to start doing company auditions as well. That was a shock to us. Did not know she was anywhere near ready.

My only fear is that she is going to place rehearsals for this upcoming performance above auditions which will impact her future. She did this last year but it was a different time and place. She was training under a director who was known for making major changes when a dancer was absent, even it was excused. Dd missed one rehearsal in about 5 years. She was taken out of an entire portion of a corps dance as a result even though she had done that role in the exact spot the previous year. No changes at all. We saw the director take even bigger parts away from people. Dd had a lead and was afraid to jeopardize that by missing rehearsals for SI auditions even though the director had given the OK last year. Because of her past experiences, she sometimes has a negative attitude "I'm not going to get in anyway" though her teachers think she has a chance at all the places on her list and think any of them would be a good fit for her as a trainee or apprentice, including SAB if she were lucky enough to be accepted. But, there's also some ambivalence on dd's part.. "am I really ready? Maybe I should stay here another year.." When she said the latter in her meeting, they said maybe, but they think she should be moving on to a company program. The faculty director thought the only benefit to one more year would be to better target and narrow down the list of possible companies. I see how it is hard for dd to believe and it's hard for me to believe as her former main teacher and director did not have that kind of faith or belief in dd as a professional dancer, esp not dd's last year there. Here, it seems to be an assumption that she will be a ballet dancer and it is a matter of the right company. It's a polar opposite.

Hoping for the best which means I am hoping she at least gives these auditions a try!

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Love hearing about your dd's journey tendumom.  Much like when my son started on his medical journey, I'm really not interested in the stories that  illustrate what we already know. This is a risky path.  Just need a little hope that this thing is possible.  We're all pulling for your dd [smile]      
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
It's been a wild and crazy journey of late! LOL. Good to have as much positive energy out there in the universe as possible! Thank you!  

Dh views this crazy business like a lottery, not much different than the lottery colleges in the admissions game... those schools that a good number of top students could get accepted to, but only a tiny percentage can actually get in. The first time he took dd to an SI audition, he was blown away by the numbers auditioning and it wasn't even one of the biggest NYC auditions! His thought was that probably more than half the dancers there were actually good enough and had appropriately shaped bodies to be accepted, but since they can only accept a certain number, it becomes a bit of a lottery.  
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I too love reading about the journeys these kids are taking, crazy as they are....

DD has already done two auditions so far, but for the first one, she says she was unfocused for some reason and feels like she did poorly. She knows it was just the first one of the season, but I think it was a disappointing start. Today's seems to have gone a better. 

She's planning on doing at least 5 more, so we'll see how it goes. 

Good luck to all those auditioning this year. Seems like this will be a fun thread this year as a few kids seem to be a turning points (no pun intended) and others just starting out.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Also- doesn't Ballet Chicago have a small studio company? I could be mistaken, but I thought they did. We sometimes get random emails from them because dd went to their SI years ago, and I think they have a tiny new professional company.
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
DD12 just auditioned for PNB this past weekend.  It was her first experience ever with a SI audition.  She was nervous but felt she learned a lot.  Next weekend is Joffrey Chicago which is the one she is most interested in.  I guess it is not the norm, according to all the other parents, but we were able to observe her audition for PNB.  I actually had assumed we would not be able to watch, but it was nice as a parent to see how they are run. Although she said it made her nervous.  [smile]
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
My daughter will be turning 12 in the fall, so as an 11 year old this is the first year she is eligible to audition for some programs, and she isn't old enough for others.  This year she is auditioning mostly for the experience and will probably attend her home school or the local school she went to last year.  I'm interested in whether these larger programs will see her as someone with potential, and I'm encouraging her to audition for exposure to the master class teachers and the experience of dancing out of her comfort zone and in large groups.  I think she is getting good training at her home school, but it is small (3-8 kids in her level depending on the class day) and she is one of the older kids in her level.  First audition is this weekend for Patel, which she could possibility attend only because we have somewhere to stay in the area.  She also plans to audition for ABT, Kirov and Boston mostly because they are names she knows and programs that hold local auditions.  Ailey comes here also, and she's excited for the master class because they are "so cool!"
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Just to answer the Ballet Chicago question ... They do have a studio company that performs mostly Balanchine repertoire. It looks like many years ago they had a much larger company. Daniel Duell is the current AD.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD has decided to use the key summer months this year to earn high school credit instead of doing a dance intensive. While my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief, I'm not sure she's made the right decision.  I'd love for her to go back to the local University fine arts program this coming summer, but that'll be out if she does summer credit work.  Fortunately, we don't have to audition a long way out for that program (late May I think), so she has time to change her mind.  

Good luck to all your dancers!  Enjoy the experience!
DanceMomCT

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
This is DD12's first year considering and auditioning for SIs - the list is small and more for the experience of auditioning and acquainting ourselves with the process.  First audition was yesterday which calmed her nerves for the ones to come more than anything else.  One audition at a time [smile]  Good luck to everyone!!  
dancermom28

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My DD(12) just auditioned for PNB this past weekend. We had auditioned at our local City ballet last year, so this is a bit different this year since we are auditioning for other city ballet schools.

My Hubby came with us, and he was surprised at how many kids were auditioning, it was something different for him as he never wants to go to any of these things and of course he complained at how long it took [smile] I had to drive him out so he can get something  to snack on to keep him occupied.

Quick question, PNB did not require photos. Does anyone know if we can just print the pictures off my color printer on normal paper, or do you think it has to be an actual photograph on photo paper?

Some schools want a 5x7 headshot or dance pose (1st Arabesque) and some didn't specify a size.

My DD will be auditioning for ABT, Ballet Austin and a couple of others if we can fit it in our schedule.

Good Luck to everyone!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I think whether it is a photo or on regular paper might depend on the school. In the years when I took dd to auditions, it was pretty rare to see one that was not an actual photograph. Most are happy with a 4x6 photo. I think there was only one time, many years ago, that an SI asked for a 5x7 and that was the Joffrey Ballet School in NYC. Just print a few somewhere locally if you do not have a photo printer... and print an extra or two for the future. Nothing shows the progression of improvement at a glance like those first arabesque photos! 
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Nothing shows the progression of improvement at a glance like those first arabesque photos! 

I just created a compilation of all of my dd's arabesque photos over the years, 6 of them.  I then emailed them to her ballet teachers and they were freaking out.  She was soooo tiny in the first one...and it was really cool to see her progress.  
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
My daughter is doing a couple auditions, but honestly the idea of sending my 13 year old away for five weeks alone makes me seriously nauseous.  I'm not sure if I can get past that. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: