Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 10     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #101 
Aw, tendumom, thanks! I can't remember how to quote, but that was very sweet! Contemporary is dds "thing", the ballet is to facilitate it, and it certainly is working.

DD is planning to return to the program she attended last year, but for longer, and it's very Vaganova, like her home school. So all her SI auditions are for fun, and are all Balanchine (except Ailey). SAB (which she is wildly unsuited for in anything but feet) is this weekend but she has been sick all week and will probably not go since it would mean missing class. She has missed 3 days already. she did PNB last weekend, Peter Boal taught so that was really cool. Its an amazing opportunity to get master classes, so doing auditions is important, I think, even if you aren't sure your DD will or can attend. we always send a nice regrets email or letter right away saying DD can't attend so a spot frees up for someone who can. It's a good way to get a feel for different teaching styles and atmospheres of places.
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #102 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellapitcrewmom
DD12 just auditioned for PNB this past weekend.  It was her first experience ever with a SI audition.  She was nervous but felt she learned a lot.  Next weekend is Joffrey Chicago which is the one she is most interested in.  I guess it is not the norm, according to all the other parents, but we were able to observe her audition for PNB.  I actually had assumed we would not be able to watch, but it was nice as a parent to see how they are run. Although she said it made her nervous.  [smile]

Just catching up on this thread to see if I'd missed anything & noticed this.  We had the same experience with PNB.  The audition was at Boston Ballet where many SI auditions are held... dd had been there for other auditions in previous weeks. The place is large w/multiple floors & many studios & the w/previous auditions the girls registered on one floor & were then marched upstairs.  PNB, otoh, had the audition in the studio adjacent to the registration area...where all the parents were hanging out....behind a wall of glass...w/the doors wide open.  Not the best scenario for the dancers.  I felt especially bad for the young girls within feet of the open door, having to stare into a lobby full of parents.  And was very disappointed in the parents crowding at the windows to peer in.  

On a positive note, finally heard from ABT & dd got into Texas.  Not one of their highest levels but, considering she's been pretty much limited to comp studio quality ballet training until our switch this year (well maybe a little bit better than the average comp studio but nothing like real serious ballet studio training), she was thrilled to have gotten in at all.  Especially since we know more than one better than average ballet dancer who didn't get into any of their sites.
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #103 
I can see how that would have been very disruptive.  I wonder why they let parents observe?  At the location we were at it was just a small window with blinds that they left open.  The door was closed and none of the students were near the window.  Most parents were trying to peak but not let their dk see them.  Maybe it was rude of me to observe, but being our first experience with SI's I suppose the curiosity of how it works got the better of me.  I will know better for the next time a company is so open with their auditions.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #104 
Quote:
I can see how that would have been very disruptive.  I wonder why they let parents observe?  At the location we were at it was just a small window with blinds that they left open.  The door was closed and none of the students were near the window.  Most parents were trying to peak but not let their dk see them.  Maybe it was rude of me to observe, but being our first experience with SI's I suppose the curiosity of how it works got the better of me.  I will know better for the next time a company is so open with their auditions.

Oh, I'm sorry!  I wasn't trying to chastise you.  I was just talking about the behavior I saw at dd's audition.  These folks weren't just taking a peek, they were jockeying for position. And like I said, it was an entire wall of windows... so no way it could ignored by any of the girls in the room.

I can completely understand your wanting to see how she was doing with it being her first audition and all.  Hope it was a good experience for her!
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #105 
It's ok!!!  I knew what you meant!    I feel like I have so much learning to do with these SI's though.  It is a whole other world.    At least the location we were at was not as bad as what you describe.  I should have realized that watching would add to the nerves, but my curiosity and wanting to make sure she was ok got the better of me.  On the positive side, she thought she didn't do well but I was able to tell her she held her own, did just fine, and that there were many times that Peter was watching her.  Her acceptance letter proved me right.  [biggrin]
If we do this one again next year, I will know that an open window does not mean it is ok to observe.  lol!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #106 
Quote:
It's ok!!!  I knew what you meant!    I feel like I have so much learning to do with these SI's though.  It is a whole other world.    At least the location we were at was not as bad as what you describe.  I should have realized that watching would add to the nerves, but my curiosity and wanting to make sure she was ok got the better of me.  On the positive side, she thought she didn't do well but I was able to tell her she held her own, did just fine, and that there were many times that Peter was watching her.  Her acceptance letter proved me right.  [biggrin]
If we do this one again next year, I will know that an open window does not mean it is ok to observe.  lol!

You already heard from PNB?  They said 3-4 wks for results at dd's audition. Doesn't matter that it was only for the experience, we still look forward to the results. Hate the waiting.
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #107 
We heard 11 days after her audition.  Joffery Chicago, on the other hand, we have not heard from.  We are on day 11 and the four locations from last weekend are hearing results already.  So nothing from the Chicago location yet, but the others from the weekend after that audition have heard in 3 days.  Really frustrating as this is where she wants to go.  I agree, waiting is SO hard.
3dancermommy

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #108 
Hey Heidi! So glad you finally heard.  My DD heard a day ago and she got into Texas as well.  I was kinda bummed because we won't be able to go to that. However, it is an acceptance so its nice! Like your daughter she come from a comp studio and ballet is just ballet.  They emphasize on other styles more. I'm taking her to other auditions too.  Trying to find a location closer to home and really to experience auditions.  
DancerPitCrew

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #109 
We heard from Joffery this morning.  An acceptance into ISDI.  She is excited!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #110 
Still not many results here yet! Dd has auditioned for 4 programs. 2 no's, both of which were expected and that includes the program where the AD spoke to her afterwards. No response from the one where she was told she under consideration for year round. What's funny is dd assumed she had already been rejected from the 4th one. She mentioned it the other day and I had to point out we still had not heard. She's assuming it is a no as it was another long shot for her. I think we should hear this week. They had said 2 weeks and it was 2 weeks on Sunday. 

She now has a 3 week break until the next 2 auditions. The program she will most likely attend is the very last one. Such a long time away! 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #111 
Well, tomorrow will be 10 days since DDs ABT YDSW audition so I'm expecting that email tomorrow. [frown]

I've thought about asking her if she wants to do other junior intensive auditions but since we know that she will do Ballet Chicago's junior intensive (no audition required), and even though auditioning for the experience is great, I don't want to pay audition fees for a program that she cannot attend.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #112 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
Well, tomorrow will be 10 days since DDs ABT YDSW audition so I'm expecting that email tomorrow. [frown] I've thought about asking her if she wants to do other junior intensive auditions but since we know that she will do Ballet Chicago's junior intensive (no audition required), and even though auditioning for the experience is great, I don't want to pay audition fees for a program that she cannot attend.

Don't be afraid to send an email if you don't hear from ABT after a few more days.  They sent dd's acceptance to the wrong email address:  aol.com instead of gmail.com  And since dd didn't even know there was such a thing as aol.com, I know it was their error  lol

It does get expensive though, I agree.  Which can be hard to justify if you're doing them w/o the intention of going (which is where we are too). I justify the cost by looking at them as an extra open class.  She's doing whatever ones we can make that are local even if we've never heard of them.  She did one for American Repertory Ballet @ Princeton on MLK day (received an acceptance 3 days later).  And this past weekend did Festival Providence & American Academy of Ballet NYC. Never heard of ARB or AAB so have no idea how good their programs are... but it's good for her to see what/who else is out there.  The good, the bad, & the ugly.  The director of AAB was a bit of a trip.   

Still waiting for PNB.  She'll do Boston Ballet next weekend.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #113 
We heard this morning from Gelsey Kirkland. DD was accepted. I don't think she'll go, but it's always nice to get an acceptance.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #114 
Congrats to your daughter Ktyyyyyyy!

As much as I'm pretty sure of the outcome I know I'll be checking my email obsessively tomorrow.

I'd like to be able to move forward and get us set up with housing in Chicago.
yetanotherdancemum

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #115 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
DD has her Joffrey audition tomorrow. She did the Joffrey Experience last summer in NYC and really enjoyed it. This program was brand new last year and had faculty from Complexions, including Desmond Richardson. It's a much smaller, more intense program than Joffrey usually does. I'm assuming that she will get in again as the Joffrey audition really is more for placement and scholarships but with the success of the program last year they could be more selective this year, so we'll see.

Delighted to find someone on the forum with experience of the Joffrey Experience in NYC. My daughter has just been accepted onto this programme and has chosen it for the reasons you mention...smaller classes, quality of faculty etc. We are coming over from Scotland so hoping it lives up to expectations! How did your DD's audition go?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #116 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdancemum
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
DD has her Joffrey audition tomorrow. She did the Joffrey Experience last summer in NYC and really enjoyed it. This program was brand new last year and had faculty from Complexions, including Desmond Richardson. It's a much smaller, more intense program than Joffrey usually does. I'm assuming that she will get in again as the Joffrey audition really is more for placement and scholarships but with the success of the program last year they could be more selective this year, so we'll see.

Delighted to find someone on the forum with experience of the Joffrey Experience in NYC. My daughter has just been accepted onto this programme and has chosen it for the reasons you mention...smaller classes, quality of faculty etc. We are coming over from Scotland so hoping it lives up to expectations! How did your DD's audition go?

I think your dd will really love it. It definitely was out of my DD's comfort zone but she emerged a MUCH stronger dancer. Her audition went really well we think, the teacher even commented to her afterwards how talented he thought she was. Results should be emailed this weekend so we shall see!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #117 
Just got the "no" for DD. Not unexpected but a little sad anyway.

She hasn't asked about it so I might just not tell her unless she asks.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #118 
Sorry to hear that, PHx115. 

A friend had that philosophy. She did tell her dd results unless she asked for them, with the exception of acceptances for any program she was likely to attend. It worked well for them over the years!  

We did finally hear from one of dd's long shots. She was waitlisted. She's happy to hear that she wasn't rejected! [biggrin]  This is the one that she had just assumed she did not get into, forgetting that we had not actually heard a word from them! It makes the decision process easier as, even though this was a long shot for her, she still wasn't 100% sure that she would go over the program she attended last summer.   
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #119 
tendumom,

That's better news than what it could be.

We are doing Kirov on Sat and possibly Gelsey Kirkland. 

Honestly I don't know how I am going to afford this stuff. Praying praying for some kind of scholarship support.
dancer456

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #120 
Congrats on all the acceptances and the wait list! As they get older, those wait list letters are still feathers in their caps.

Eldest dd is still waiting to her from her first choice program but thinks her chances are slim. Dd2 has been accepted to Joffrey Chicago and Boston and she's not sure she even wants to go away. It's gonna be a long audition season.
*Twinkle*Toes*x*2*

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #121 
Dd12 attended ABT YDSW 2 years ago- very fun program! Last year she was accepted into the Rock and Joffrey Chicago, but ended up doing her local pre-pro studios 4-week SI. She only is auditioning for a few SI's this year, but not sure if we are ready to send her away yet. Just got news yesterday that she was accepted into ABT Austin--- she is thrilled! But still not sure of we are ready to send her away for 4 weeks yet!
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #122 
I thought this was interesting. A few programs (Rock and ABT) address wait list. What to do when there are conflicting deadlines and how to handle things with an SI.

http://pointemagazine.com/issues/december-2014january-2015/secrets-summer-program-admissions-process

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #123 

Thanks for sharing that! This is a particularly good issue of Pointe, including a look at trainee programs. 

The dancer quoted in the article, Sarah Lapointe, is a beautiful, most likely sought after dancer. Somehow, I suspect some deadlines may not be as firm for a dancer of her caliber. <my pessimistic side coming through, coupled with our own experience in asking for an extension [rolleyes]>

Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #124 
Has anyone had any experience with ABT North Carolina? DD- just turned 15 is in need of a strong program ( hours, teaching, partnering, strong peer group- she pushes harder when surrounded by better dancers- we really want a program where she is challenged and comes away noticeably better) and I really can't find out a lot about this particular ABT  location! I looked at BT4D but not much info...is this kind of a everybody gets accepted deal?

Deadline is looming and we had quite a few others we were looking at such as UNCSA- Ballet focus, SSDI ( really loved that two years ago and saw quite a bit of improvement), Ballet Austin, Next Generation,BalletMet and Pittsburgh, Joffrey Chicago... but it's one of those do we give up a bird in hand for a bird in the bush situations as those would need to be by video or the auditions are after the ABT-NC deadline........
Nettie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #125 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettie
Yes, she is... She is 8 yrs. old right now but will turn 9 in a few months. We heard about the audition too late and that is why we have submitted a video audition....

The handout I received at DD8's ABT YDSW audition this past weekend said we would hear something ten days following her audition, which would mean the 27th. It also spells out that the deposit is due for those that auditioned 1/16-1/19 no later than 2/9. The deposit for video auditions submitted by 1/31 is required by 3/2.

I thought I'd spread the word just in case you didn't receive information about that.

Thank you for this information....How much is the deposit btw?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.