Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Over the past couple of years, DD17 has been struggling with her confidence, both in dance and in herself. The season before last, she was dealing with an Abby Lee Miller type of nasty, straight-up rude teacher who was tearing her down. She was dealing with depression, an eating disorder, and anxiety. We both felt like we hit rock bottom trying to help her. This past season since we switched studios and turned to All Star Dance, I have seen her grow. She is happier than ever before and she shines. She is so excited to go to the studio. She was debating whether to do two teams (Pom and Hip Hop) or just Pom next year. She hasn't done hip hop in about 5-6 years. DD went to one class Tuesday, came out so happy, AND decided to try out. Tryouts were 2 days ago and she came home that night and said she rocked it and that she's so excited. I am so hopeful and excited for my baby her senior year.

To sum things up-- things get better! You may seem like your world, or your kid's world is falling apart, but it won't. One day, it will all turn around and everything will be happy and good again. DD17 went to therapy for about 6 weeks-- HATED IT, but one thing she said to me after opened my eyes. She said "I think therapy only really works when you realize you don't need it and you realize you and only you are behind the change." I'm tearing up thinking about her progress. All it takes is time... and a supportive momma behind their back [wink]
SunCB

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds like she is going to have a fantastic Senior year!
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
That is wonderful for you both! Having teenagers is such a roller coaster, and as a mother we feel all of the pain they feel but are often powerless to help. It's such a triumph when they overcome some obstacle and are back on a good path!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Such an empowering story!  Thanks for sharing, and here's to an awesome Sr Year!

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
So glad she found the strength within! 

Dd made a switch for her senior year. It was difficult in some ways because it was a big jump, but it was well worth it in every way. 
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I really think the switch is what made her happy. Her new coaches adore her and love on her all the time. It's a very positive environment unlike the old studio.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
It was similar for dd. The new faculty was very supportive and positive. Tough at the same time but the support was incredible and has continued even though she has moved on.
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My DD also switched studios senior year, which at first wasn't easy but it made her love dance again.  Thank you for sharing your story and I am so glad that things are working out for your DD.
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom
My DD also switched studios senior year, which at first wasn't easy but it made her love dance again.  Thank you for sharing your story and I am so glad that things are working out for your DD.

DD17 switched last summer, actually before recital. So she's spent her entire junior year at the new studio. I think it was easier for her because a lot of her friends switched as well. But yes, she loves dance now. Happy for you and your DD as well [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Glad to read your good news and hear how things have turned around for your DD.  I hope she has a great year and a great time on Poms!  [smile]
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
That's wonderful to hear!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD has had a similar experience this past year.  She too is coming out of and found a great supportive studio.  I'm so happy for  you and your daughter.  I know how hard it is to watch your daughter struggle and not be able to help.  I just said yesterday that if I saw my dd's former dance teacher, it would take all my strength not to run her over with my car.  (I never would but oh I would think about it [mad])
ItTakesAVillage

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks for sharing!!  Best wishes for a great senior year!!!
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
This brought a tear to my eye! So happy for your daughter.  Life is tough and what truly matters when we get knocked down is to get back up with the support of those who love us.  I am so glad she is happy and passionate about her dancing again - and having FUN!  This comp life can suck that right out of us if we're not careful.  Thank you for sharing this!  it's inspirational and a light in the dark!
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
DD has had a similar experience this past year.  She too is coming out of and found a great supportive studio.  I'm so happy for  you and your daughter.  I know how hard it is to watch your daughter struggle and not be able to help.  I just said yesterday that if I saw my dd's former dance teacher, it would take all my strength not to run her over with my car.  (I never would but oh I would think about it [mad])

Oh my! I gave DD's mean teacher a piece of my mind last May. I have never felt that much anger in my life. It's definitely a mama bear thing. I just had enough, marched in and demanded a meeting with the SO and her. I had actually called the SO who was one of my friends, considering her daughter danced on my daughters team as well, and spoke to her about this teacher before. Her response was "She's just tough." BIG difference between "tough" and straight up mean. I remember coming out of that meeting, seeing my DD crying with her friends, grabbing her, headed to the car and in the car basically just mutually agreed that we would be leaving the studio after recital. It's really tough but worth the dramatics.
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you all for your kind words and support [smile] Really appreciated. Wish the best for you all and your daughters/sons as well.
novadancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Also, UPDATE: DD made both the Senior Hip Hop team and the Senior Pom team! So proud!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.