Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MJAdances2009

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings - I'm in search of a dance school for my 8 year old DD with a strong competition team that competes at the national level in/near Westchester County, NY. We are coming from an area that's big into competitive dance. DD has grown to like being on a team that offers many opportunities to dance/compete from large productions to small groups, lines, solos and etc. My dd's current school not only has a great competition program but focuses heavily on technique and ballet as well. All things that we are looking for in the Westchester County area. I'm really hoping there's a studio similar. We will most likely be north of White Plains in either Westchester or possibly Putnam County. I'm familiar with the area just not dance schools. Any help you all could provide, would be much appreciated!
NYFamily

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Westchester Dance Academy has an amazing reputation in the area.
MJAdances2009

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks! That's on our list but it might be alittle to far south. Depending on where we buy. We will for sure look at the school.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Seven Stars in Brewster, might be a bit far for you though.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
For sure Westchester Dance Academy. 
MJAdances2009

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Anyone have information or experience at The Pulse in Bedford Hills? That was on I was considering as well. Thanks again for recommending studios! Keep them coming [smile]
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAdances2009
Anyone have information or experience at The Pulse in Bedford Hills? That was on I was considering as well. Thanks again for recommending studios! Keep them coming [smile]

I have not heard of them but based on the pictures on the website, I would say they are not a technically strong studio if that's what you're looking for.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
100% Westchester

MJAdances2009

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks! Putting calls into Westchester and Seven Star.
Dancer0321

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I'm curious what you found out about the two studios - Westchester vs. Seven Star.   Have you found any other studios in the area with a good reputation besides these two?
NYMomoftwo

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 

I live in Putnam and both my girls dance competitively. There are many local dance studios, and several have competition teams. Depending on what you're looking for in a studio, check our their websites and Facebook pages. I know our studio posts more information on the team on Facebook than they do on the web page. 

Here are some of the local studios:

A&E Dance Studio
Dance Expressions
Dance For Joy
Darcy's Academy of Dance
Epic Dance Center
Penny Lane Dance Academy
Putnam Dance Center
Seven Stars School of Performing Arts
Spotlight Studios
Street Beatz Dance Studio
Taps & Toes
The Dance Workshop

MJAdances2009

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks for your feed back! I've tried FB, You Tube and I'm not really getting far in our search process.

We are really struggling to find the right studio. Most seem to have Hip Hop as their strongest genre competitively. We don't mind it but my DD has been trained with more of a focus on Jazz, Ballet, Tap, and Lyrical. If anyone can provide details about the schools the previous poster mentioned or others that might fit our search, it would appreciated! Willing to travel a bit, but not too far with the tristate area traffic.

We are fortunate to come from
an area that has some of the strongest teams nationally, most studios have have been in the competition world 20 plus years. We have come accustomed to showstopping routines, amazing production value and choreography with custom everything. Behind all this they have top knotch technically training as well. I'm having a hard time finding this combination, right now it's an either or situation. Our current studio has many options for dancers to compete most do a minimum of 8 to 10 routines some do 20 plus. The competition members are an elite group broken into age/ability based groups, pretty much every class my DD takes with her group then of course some spilt off into various small group and etc. There's also an amazing sense of family and the teachers are more than that to the students, it's a second home. A bonus is that the parents are that way too! My DD has been thriving in this environment but I can't find anything like it.

I realize we are asking for it all but can't have it. If anyone could give recommendations based on this and preference which aspect of our wish list that studio has, it would be greatly appreciated. I would say our wish list in order would be 1) technical training 2) Fabulous elite competition program with many options to participate, 3) Close knit family atmosphere.

Thank you in advance. It's been a struggle for my DD leaving her dance home not knowing where she'll end up. With auditions happening we are really feeling the pressure!!!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Just out of curiosity I googled and Westchester is in Mt Kisco which is less than 3 miles from Bedford Hills.  Honestly.. I'm not sure you're going to find a better studio than Westchester.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
If we lived that close to WDA that's where my DD would go, without a doubt.
MJAdances2009

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks for your feedback everyone. We are looking for outside perspectives on any studio in the area from fellow dancemoms. We've all spent hours waiting, helping, paying bills (yuck) at the studio, during those times you start to understand how it operates. Sometimes conversations with studio directors/mangers don't tell the whole picture. We've had conversations with different schools all sound good in their own way. But the real understanding and information comes from the parents.

We are doing this search remotely, so no luxury of visiting. It sometimes takes a year to understand understand how your new studio operates and the pros/cons. With such a big move for our DD, a new schools, house, friends, and studio we want to try to get it right from the beginning.

With regards to driving to the pluse vs WDA, we have no problem driving to either. Our realtor mentioned the pluse was one of the studios in the area we were looking. She didn't have much dance knowledge just knew we had a DD. Never hearing about it, I was looking to you all for feedback. Of course we heard WDA is great but sometimes there's a hidden gem. We simply are seeing if there's a great school we haven't heard of.

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like we'll have to weigh our options.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.