Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
My dd has NEVER practiced at home.

ETA - I also would never force her to practice at home. 
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #27 
When we were at the competition studio, my DD did practice at home.  We have three boards with marley and some mirrors in my unfinished living room where she would practice when she was 6-10.  Now that she is 13 and spends so many hours at the ballet school, she doesn't use the home studio and over Christmas I took the boards out and still haven't put them back.
peppersmom67

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
My daughter practices and or stretches as she sees fit and it's honestly not all that often that she does. She is at 12 hours a week in the studio so home practice is never something I would force. I may suggest practicing a skill if she is having trouble mastering it but I don't ever force her. 
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
My now senior daughter never really "practiced" at home. She did stretches, especially feet and ankles in preparation for going on pointe and her first years of pointe. She would mark dances to show me what she was working on and remember choreography. She would dance around the house, parks the grocery store, etc., but not work on things taught in class.

We were told that, especially for young dancers, they should not practice actual class work at home. Her teachers wanted to observe and correct in class and I certainly do not have the expertise to teach her classical ballet at home. That is what I was paying professionals to do.

Ballet is and should be a slow boil. It starts slow and slowly builds days and hours. Skills are built from a foundation of other skills. It is all a process and you have to trust that they are getting the best training you can offer and then let the process unfold. That being said, I was always researching and discussing with parents levels ahead so I could understand what was happening and what to expect. They helped keep everything in perspective.
EllasMom822

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #30 
My DD is 11 and does 2 solos and I do make her practice at home. There are days when she doesn’t have time with school and long hours at the studio but we pay a lot for this. I don’t make her practice for hours but I don’t think 30 minutes is too much to ask. Good luck!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
My kids have always reviewed choreography at home on their off days or after a long choreo day to make sure they have it for the next day.
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
I was thinking about this thread this week. My daughter never "practices" at home, but when she and I are driving together, she'll often listen to some music and marks things with her hands. She wonders what drivers near her are thinking if they look over and see her doing it.
enpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
My daughter is at a ballet studio. We have a studio for her at home and she does use it fairly regularly. Some of her training takes place there as she does regularly have privates here at home. She also uses it when her studio is on a break to give herself class and she might run her variations for YAGP there occasionally. I never say anything about it though. It all comes from her.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.