Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MK1987

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter is 7 and has been dancing for 4 years. This is her second year on a competition team. She's been at the same studio this whole time. This year has been extremely frustrating for me as I feel like her studio is suddenly totally disorganized. All of the administrative employees are also teachers/owners and they all seem to be stretched too thin. They don't have any one official method of communication, they will contact everyone via email, private Facebook group posts, group texts, or all of the above. Never the same way every time. The first competition was last month and there was a costume issue that was unresolved until the day before the competition. Any attempt to contact the instructor was met with "as I've stated previously, I will contact you when I have more information." On the day of the competition, a mom texted to a group text asking where to meet. The response was "as I've already stated...." (No instructions regarding where to meet had been previously sent out as far as I know.) In November, an email was sent out saying they were still deciding what competitions they would be participating in this year and that a finalized schedule would be sent out within a week. We just received this information yesterday.

This studio has a very talented group of students who are about 10 and up who travel all over the country and have won some pretty prestigious awards. I feel like the focus is on this group and not as much on the younger kids. Students who just take regular classes and don't join competition team are even lower on the totem pole it would seem.

I hate to leave the studio as my daughter has made great friendships and loves her instructors, but I'm at my wit's end here. I'm a super organized person and I need to be able to plan ahead, especially as a mom of three with other kids involved in their own activities.

Am I right to be annoyed or should I just be more flexible?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I haven't found dance pros to necessarily be the most organized folks when it comes to logistics & communications.  I've learned to be more flexible.  They've learned that major dates need to be communicated as early as possible ... which, sometimes isn't as early as all parents would like.
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I’m also a very organized person and not knowing stresses me out big time. Last year one of the costumes wasn’t finished until morning of comp and one of the moms brought them with her (since most of us were staying downtown already) Also email communication with the DT isn’t always perfect. But I’m learning to let things go and not worry.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I have had the same experience with poor communication, scattered information, non-timely requests, last minute changes, making parents feel like we're at error for not knowing information, etc...  At first it was very hard for me because I am a Type A, need-to-know person.  However, we chose this dance studio because it is unbelievably good at creating exceptional dancers and I have just come to accept that the communication is terrible.  I have had to completely change my expectations, and stuff a sock in my mouth.  I constantly want to chime in or offer to organize differently, but I just keep telling myself that the studio staff are ARTISTS and not communication pros.   Somehow it all comes together, but it is baffling how. I have a friend who is a therapist and she told me that living in this communication void has been very good for my emotional growth as a human.  So there's that?!?

Sometimes I read on this board, "I would never put up with that, you need to talk to your SO", but at our studio we don't do that.  Parents don't have a voice.  You put up with how and when information is given and we all do it because our studio is that good and we don't want to harm our children's opportunities, and this is the absolute best studio for my dancer, so I can't risk rocking the boat.  I would not allow such poor communication in ANY other part of my life, particularly when I am paying gobs and gobs and gobs of money.  Competitive dance is a strange, strange bird I tell ya!  The things we put up with for our kids.
mic123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
I have had the same experience with poor communication, scattered information, non-timely requests, last minute changes, making parents feel like we're at error for not knowing information, etc...  At first it was very hard for me because I am a Type A, need-to-know person.  However, we chose this dance studio because it is unbelievably good at creating exceptional dancers and I have just come to accept that the communication is terrible.  I have had to completely change my expectations, and stuff a sock in my mouth.  I constantly want to chime in or offer to organize differently, but I just keep telling myself that the studio staff are ARTISTS and not communication pros.   Somehow it all comes together, but it is baffling how. I have a friend who is a therapist and she told me that living in this communication void has been very good for my emotional growth as a human.  So there's that?!?

YES to the bolded! [smile]
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1987
My daughter is 7 and has been dancing for 4 years. This is her second year on a competition team. She's been at the same studio this whole time. This year has been extremely frustrating for me as I feel like her studio is suddenly totally disorganized. All of the administrative employees are also teachers/owners and they all seem to be stretched too thin. They don't have any one official method of communication, they will contact everyone via email, private Facebook group posts, group texts, or all of the above. Never the same way every time. The first competition was last month and there was a costume issue that was unresolved until the day before the competition. Any attempt to contact the instructor was met with "as I've stated previously, I will contact you when I have more information." On the day of the competition, a mom texted to a group text asking where to meet. The response was "as I've already stated...." (No instructions regarding where to meet had been previously sent out as far as I know.) In November, an email was sent out saying they were still deciding what competitions they would be participating in this year and that a finalized schedule would be sent out within a week. We just received this information yesterday.

This studio has a very talented group of students who are about 10 and up who travel all over the country and have won some pretty prestigious awards. I feel like the focus is on this group and not as much on the younger kids. Students who just take regular classes and don't join competition team are even lower on the totem pole it would seem.

I hate to leave the studio as my daughter has made great friendships and loves her instructors, but I'm at my wit's end here. I'm a super organized person and I need to be able to plan ahead, especially as a mom of three with other kids involved in their own activities.

Am I right to be annoyed or should I just be more flexible?

Can you suggest using an app to keep track of all of the information? Our studio uses a group coordination app where everything you need to know is kept. It is super handy because if I forget something I always know where to refer. The directors specifically say they are not going to email or post on Facebook - everything is in the one place. Now actually getting the info in a timely manner is another thing! I am not sure how to solve that problem. We still get last minute notices for rehearsal time changes etc.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
I haven't found dance pros to necessarily be the most organized folks when it comes to logistics & communications.  I've learned to be more flexible.  They've learned that major dates need to be communicated as early as possible ... which, sometimes isn't as early as all parents would like.

THIS!!!!!!

DD has been at 3 studios and while the 1st studio was the best at communication (had been around 30 years longer than the other 2), it still wasn't as organized as I would have like. 

As an accountant and IT project manager, I'm all about schedules, organization and planning.  I so had to let go of a lot of that with artistic types 😉.  I control what I can.

DD15 almost 16 is now at a tiny start up studio.  She is the oldest dancer with 1 other dancer at 14 going on 15.  The next dancers are 12 and below.  SO decided this season all accessories would be kept by SO or a DT because last year the younger kids were losing or breaking theirs (costumes in duffle bags - yes the horror).  So picture pocket garment bag with a pouch with each dancer and all of their accessories.  This made my head spin and made me anxious just thinking about sifting through a pile of accessories to get to the right ones for the right costume.  I'm a Dream Duffel garment bag organization freak with 1 costume, shoes, accessories, tight in each bag (ok tights and shoes sometimes go across).  Anyway, I got special approval as long as I didn't say anything to anyone because SO knew DD and I would have a serious melt down otherwise [tongue].  Not to mention she's old enough to drive a car, she should be able to keep her accessories straight.

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Adding that I had to create my own schedule because SO is also a theater person so her email on dance times was super hard to follow.  She intermixed dances and dancers and gave specific names to "call time", "ready time" and "dance time".  I was like what????
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.