Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Dd, whose young and has been dancing a few years, does not seem to like tap at all. Her current studio is one of the only studios that competes in tap still, since it seems all the other studios in my area don't compete in tap. A few, including the mega top winning studio, doesn't even offer tap to the recreationAl kids after like 2nd grade. Our current studio offers 1 hour lyrical and hip hop classes from age 5 up, but still has tap/jazz combos up until the teen years. I feel like if I ever chose to make her stay in combo tap classes, she would get so bored, she'd wind up quitting. Hey, I quit dance completely bc I hated ballet, which looking back, didn't make much sense We're also 99% leaving this studio after this year. So, will it hurt Dd in any way if she doesn't ever do tap again?
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I wonder how much of your "if you don't like it, quit" attitude you're passing along to her? 

Let's face it, other than ballet, no form of dance is "required" but you sure do cut down pathways for the future.  If you're planning on leaving the studio after this year, she'll be missing a piece that may be necessary at her next studio.  Encourage her to stick it out.  The skills they learn in tap (musicality, finding 'the pocket', timing) will serve her well in the future, even if she never competes in tap.

btw, DD spent her first four years at a studio that BARELY competed in tap and really only gave it a cursory glance in their rec program.  She's now at a top tap studio (where she also competes in tap, ballet, jazz, lyrical, and contemporary as a senior), and sticking it out through those boring initial tap classes has served her very, very well.  
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
I wonder how much of your "if you don't like it, quit" attitude you're passing along to her? 

Let's face it, other than ballet, no form of dance is "required" but you sure do cut down pathways for the future.  If you're planning on leaving the studio after this year, she'll be missing a piece that may be necessary at her next studio.  Encourage her to stick it out.  The skills they learn in tap (musicality, finding 'the pocket', timing) will serve her well in the future, even if she never competes in tap.

btw, DD spent her first four years at a studio that BARELY competed in tap and really only gave it a cursory glance in their rec program.  She's now at a top tap studio (where she also competes in tap, ballet, jazz, lyrical, and contemporary as a senior), and sticking it out through those boring initial tap classes has served her very, very well.  

I hope I'm not passing down that attitude. I've never told her how much I hated ballet. But she knows I was in competitive cheerleading most of my childhood, into my high school years and it wasn't always "fun." and we worked hard. But, since she's young still, I have in convo asked what her favorite parts of her class are? I guess I was trying to find out what she likes best at this point to make it easier to choose classes for next year. If, and when we do switch, the other studios have classes solely deviated to one genre, like hip-hop, acro (which we don't have at current studio) and then the combos. Just wondering if she did tell me "hey I rather not do tap next year" if it would be such a bad thing.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Wondering where in NY you are from because we know of a few studios that are phenomenal in tap. We are in NJ but often compete with studios all over the tri state area and Tap is alive and well at the comps we go to.

That being said, your dd is young and if all dance is at this moment is a fun activity then I say let her take what she is interested in whether it be tap, hip hop, jazz etc. It's not super important at this time in her life. I would try to keep any personal opinions on styles to myself as to not influence her choices.

As far as someone with hopes on dancing professionally down the road, I think it is important to at least know tap basics.

jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My own dd's first school had tap as what I call a floater class.  They'd cycle it in and out on a quarterly basis (4 months in and 4 months out), with jazz and 2 other specials that I can't recall just now.  Mind you, this was a pretty serious ballet school that felt that their dancers should be educated in all forms of dance.  The students they had that wanted to take tap on a more consistent basis were given a list of schools that had quality tap as a permanent fixture in their curriculum.  As it happens with my dd, she was helped by the tap but wasn't at all interested in pursuing it on a deeper level. It was just a fun enrichment thing for her.  (Loved that attitude at the time. Made my life easy!)  What I'm trying to tell you is, tap can add a lot to a dance education but it isn't the end of the world if she doesn't continue in it or even compete in it.  I would encourage her to finish out the year in the class and help her change her mind about it.  Use your subtle mom whiles (gee that class looked like fun, what was that combo?).  Hope this helps.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
How old is your DD?  I would say no.  Not necessary if she isn't enjoying it, as I assume she's young.  Finish out the year and then drop it.  No biggie.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I can't see a young dancer (or any child)  doing any activity they aren't loving.  

But I am also curious where in NY you are.  We are in Upstate NY , tap is widely offered and taken at most of the studios I know of around here and there is no shortage of it at any competition we have been to.   

It is even offered at the Ballet School in my area.

jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I second My2DanceLoves. I can't see a child doing any activity they don't like, unless it's to get them other activities they do like. DD8 loves ballet, but most of the girls on team with her don't like ballet and are only taking it because the studio requires it to take nearly any other dance class (exceptions, aerial, hip hop, and acro). At DD's studio, tap is only required if you request a tap competition number and are chosen to be cast in one. I pay too much money, though, to make my kid do something they don't even like. It's just not one of the battles I choose to take on. Also curious how old your DD is. Our studio doesn't do combo classes after age 7. Most studios around here don't do combos unless the kids are little.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD has never enjoyed tap. It was a mandatory (but very basic) class for her while she was a company member at her ballet studio and her tap teacher told me she was actually good at it, but DD hated it and would never take more than the mandatory class.
The new studio has a pretty phenomenal tap teacher, and DD was reluctantly convinced to take it and she actually likes it much better now (and turns out she IS good at it!)... But, it's still her least favorite class and she has just about talked me into letting her skip it next year. Her heart is just not in it, the class has dropped lower and lower as far as kids in it (which to me should be a good thing, more instructor attention) and very few of the kids actually LOVE it. They're basically taking it for the teacher and for the musicality, not because they WANT to. These are all girls over age 13.

ETA: she will still do the tap at conventions etc, she will be OK enough at it with the past 2 1/2 years of good tap training to make it through the convention classes. She just won't be getting any shout outs, lol!! She had NO tap from the combo classes as a preschooler up until the basic company classes age 10-12 (and we are talking BASIC 30 min/wk classes, the AD just wanted the ballet company members to have an introduction to tap).
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Neither of My DD's ended up in tap.  They both tried it, oldest DD lasted a few years before giving it up, younger DD did it for just a year and decided it wasn't for her.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
IDK... when it comes to recreational activity I really don't see anything wrong with the "if you don't like it, quit" attitude.   It's supposed to be fun. Why waste time doing something that's not fun?  There's only so much time and too many other wonderful things to experience in this world to force yourself to do things you don't have to do.  JMO
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I don't think she needs to take tap if she does not enjoy it.

But I will comment that tap does offer a good way to learn musicality. The rhythms and accents in tap do seem to help kids learn to work with the music, so I think it has some merit in a well rounded dance education.
Bizybee

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:

I don't think she needs to take tap if she does not enjoy it. 

But I will comment that tap does offer a good way to learn musicality. The rhythms and accents in tap do seem to help kids learn to work with the music, so I think it has some merit in a well rounded dance education.

DD stopped taking tap a few years ago because she did not like it.  Fast forward to age 13 and she loves tap and is taking privates.  Her teacher is a self professed "Hoofer" (sp)  It has definitely improved her musicality, not that it was bad before.  
Bizybee

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I obviously don't know how to quote!  Sorry!

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
At DD's former studio there were several kids that didn't do tap & tap was hugely emphasized.  Their best dancer never did tap and as a senior in high school is looking to go pro at some point (don't know the details as we are no longer there).

DD13 is not the biggest fan of tap - mostly because the former studio pushed it so hard and it's super fast and didn't come naturally to her.  After a year off she is going back to it though because she's moving to theater and musical theater still uses tap a lot.  It will give her more skills for roles.

I would not make a child do something that they didn't want to.  It isn't about quitting to me. It's about not wasting time and money on stuff.  Part of growing up is trying new things to see what you like and more importantly what you don't like.  Sometimes quitting is the right thing to do.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I don't think tap is necessary. For an older dancer thinking about pursuing a professional career, sure they should at least know some tap. But for a very young dancer, they should do the genres they enjoy. Tap is not very popular in our area, and we see very little tap at competitions. When dd first started, tap was only offered at our studio as part of combo classes for the youngest dancers. DD's only exposure to tap was at conventions, when she tried her best to fake it standing in the back corner on the carpet. DD still doesn't tap, but now wishes she knew how because she feels like it is the one hole in her well-roundedness as a dancer. Our studio did eventually hire a tap teacher, but at first the few tap classes offered didn't fit in dd's schedule. Now that several kids at our studio can tap, dd would be far too behind take a tap class with anyone close to her age. Last year dd was going to audition for a performing arts school, and tap was part of the audition. DD did take several months of tap privates to get up to speed on the basics. She was able to make it through the audition, but I'm sure her acceptance was not based on her tap abilities.
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Neither of my girls really like tap. Definitely their least favorite genre, but it's require to compete a tap dance if they want to be on a competition team. They only have one tap class during the year, so it's not a lot. They know if they want to dance, they have to just suck it up. If it's not required I don't see a huge problem letting her quit, but I do think the tap class helps them learn skills that can be valuable in other types of dance. 
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
For some reason, it's not letting me quote lol.  So to the person that asked me what part of NY, we are in one of the my 5 boroughs, so I guess you could say the city.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
It's hard to say. Sometimes kids are just fickle. DD17, went through an "I haaaaaaaaaaate" ballet phase. This was with the same teacher who she used to adore. But the team required it. About a year later, she fell back in love with it and has never looked back. Is tap absolutely necessary, no. But there are important lessons to be learned, some that other genres can't give. Full disclosure, DD is the only tap soloist at her studio. DD hates Acro but she does it for the same reason. There is always something to learn.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
My daughter started out at a Staten Island studio that was like tap, tap and more tap with a side of ballet.  So much so that when we moved here, she was put in a higher tap level.  She loved tap but apparently few others did as all of the older tappers quit.

We had families at our studio where some siblings took tap and some did not.  They were all great dancers.  So I think exposure to it is good but if she doesn't like it...  No big deal.
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Our studio is very big in tap, most in my area is also. DD12 doesn't care of tap but does it anyway. Their tap routines score higher than any others at competitions. Production this year was mostly tap. She was going to do a tap duet with a team member at school, her duet partner got hurt in track so she ended up doing it as a solo. Everyone loved it!
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I would just like to add that my dd is a professional ballerina, as been for 18 years, and has never needed tap at all.  It was fun for a little while but then everyone moved on. 
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
You said your DD is young so my original answer won't make much sense. I was going to say that if she has aspirations of dancing on Broadway, she will need some tap training. But since she is young, I won't say that (hee hee hee).

Full disclosure: my daughter is a tapper. Our studio is known in our area for their tap. I want to say that she needs tap.

In reality, if she doesn't like it, no she does not need it.
kristi3babes

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Wondering where in NY you are from because we know of a few studios that are phenomenal in tap. We are in NJ but often compete with studios all over the tri state area and Tap is alive and well at the comps we go to.

That being said, your dd is young and if all dance is at this moment is a fun activity then I say let her take what she is interested in whether it be tap, hip hop, jazz etc. It's not super important at this time in her life. I would try to keep any personal opinions on styles to myself as to not influence her choices.

As far as someone with hopes on dancing professionally down the road, I think it is important to at least know tap basics.

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
I would encourage her to continue with tap. There are many benefits to tap that she won't get as strongly in other genres. Tap teaches an understanding of musicality in a much deeper way than other dance styles as they must make their own music with their feet to match the music. Tap increases their ability to think faster, it requires very fast thinking which will improve their ability to pick up choreography in all styles (and help them do better in school).

But as a youngster it is best to keep their options open. Kids change their minds, they may love one genre when they are little and hate another. But as they get older this could completely flip. It keeps their options open as they get older too. It is much harder to pick up tap at an older age than many other styles. She won't be able to just jump into class with her peers when they are teens and have several years of top behind them and pick up where she left off. If she closes the tap door now it may be much harder to open later.

Tap will also give her more options when she gets older, tap is important for many Broadway musicals or if she wants to be a rockette. Of course it is early for her to even know what she wants to do later, but by the time she does know it may be too late.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: