Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

And opportunities handed to them on a silver platter. This is not how the real world works & therefore isn't setting them up properly for a real future in this industry.  And then, finally, acknowledge the real risk of burn out & overexposure.  It really doesn't bode well for these girls.  

Really.  Think about it.  Given their ages, if they were typical kids we would all question the long term.  So very much can change in 10 years.  Now throw in all the complicating factors that exist because of their involvement on this show?  It doesn't make success any more likely.  In fact, it probably makes it less likely.

I kind of think this IS how the real world works.  I know most of us don't want to think that as we want the world to be fair and for the kids that pay their dues to win out, but it's not.  The fact that it was Maddie at the Grammy's and in 2 music videos rather then the reigning YAGP winner says that.  No matter what you think, the fact that she did that is a fact.  It's a tough pill to swallow. Her dance world might be small so in that world she is probably the best of the best and I am guessing there is going to come a time where there is a cold slap of reality.  But my kid has gotten that slap every time she has changed studios (we trade up.)

Let me give a more real world example.  We have two senior boys at our studio.  Both are beyond fantastic...professional level.  Both go to NYCDA nationals.  One gets a $200,000 scholarship to PACE the other gets $65,000 to Pointe Park.  Why the difference?  Politics according to SO.  The $200,000 winner has been in the NYCDA circuit for years while the $65,000 winner was relatively new to the scene.  Work ethic and talent the same for both kids.  Actually the $65,000 winner might be more driven and hard working since he comes from a poorer family and is "hungrier."

Say what you want about Abby Lee (and I think she is a calculated harpy), the way she has treated those kids has hardened them to stone.  Hopefully, they will be able to push through the hard critiques in the future and work hard (just as hard as some of our kids) to get where they want to go.  That along with a little therapy, might take them a long way.
I think the world works both ways. There are plenty of kids/people who get cast because of their name (or their parents name, ie Mikey Cyrus). There are kids who get cast because of their look, image or persona (either they look "perfect" or they have a look that may attract a new or diverse audience). On the other hand, there are people who are award nominees or winners, who have a slew of credits on their resume, and still need to audition (with multiple callbacks) for roles (using the theatre world as an example). If anyone has ever seen the documentary "Every Little Step", you know what happens to a "famous" dancer who is competing for one of the roles in A Chorus Line. The bottom line is, you never know. My DD is learning this now in musical theatre; she's gone from lead roles to ensemble in the same theatre group, then auditions for another group and is considered for a principal role. There are so many variables- talent/abilities of the pool of auditions, type of role, who is casting, and of course, politics (aka the offstage drama). On Broadway, Maddie being cast now would be considered 'stunt casting'. These are the people who are usually brought in to increase ticket sales, and may not have the talent of a Broadway caliber actor or singer.. Not saying she is not talented. She can dance (not my place to judge how good she is; everyone else does enough of that!). IMO, her acting and singing abilities are questionable, and until recently, I have not heard of a dancer who has been cast in this capacity (the guy from SYTYCD may be considered one, in the opinion of some). While she would absolutely boost ticket sales, the reality is, right now there are few opportunities for kids her age. Anime is done, Billy Elliot is done, the only feasible role for her right now would be in Matilda (and she is not getting any younger; they want those kids to be tiny).

fwiw here.. a crucial line was cut off my quote above. The complete thought was  "Their talents have been overstated.  And opportunities handed to them on a silver platter.  This is not how the real world works".  I don't think anyone will disagree that name recognition & real world connections can have you skipping to the head of the line. If, however, you can't really deliver, those opportunities will come to a screeching halt & your star will burn out very very quickly. And that was my point.  Who knows what the future holds for these kids.  If, in fact, they'll develop into amazing dancers & singers & actresses.  But my point was simply that they are nowhere near amazing now.  And that handing them these opportunities, opportunities that wouldn't, couldn't even possibly be on their radar w/out their participation on this show, comes with some serious risks.  Because they're young... too young to really put two & two together. And their stage moms certainly aren't helping to keep them grounded in reality.  So while all that doesn't guarantee disappointment and/or failure, it most certainly is a set up up for disappointment and/or failure. No matter how you slice it.   

I'll be honest, no matter how much of a fan one might be... no matter if one is rooting for their screaming long term success... how anyone cannot see the potential downside to what is going on here is somewhat puzzling to me.   

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
I think the one with the most unrealistic view would actually be Nia. Watching her performance in Australia, Jojo took the spotlight from her when she came on stage, she does not have the charisma to make it without the show.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I think the one with the most unrealistic view would actually be Nia. Watching her performance in Australia, Jojo took the spotlight from her when she came on stage, she does not have the charisma to make it without the show.

I thought JoJo had charisma but she also looked a little spastic in her dancing whereas Nia looked much more put together and professional.
DianeMcKnight

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunafly
It's sad because unfortunately the type of exposure and training she has had does not bode well for a long successful career. At 12, she has probably just about peaked. If she wants to be a "triple threat" why is she in LA doing TV spots and music videos and not NYC doing theater? It really doesn't seem like she is surrounded by good people. And her mom as her manager? She is qualified how?

Oh, her mom isn't her manager. She is managed by someone named Rachel Rothman and the ALDC. I do agree that the show is holding her back, but contrary to what many people believe, Abby is actually a great teacher. Yes, she could definitely receive a better dance education somewhere else, but she loves being with Abby and I think she should stay where she is happy.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: