Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
After reading this, I kind of want to slap Melissa upside the head and screams at her for what she's doing to her daughter. It was very telling that Sia is telling her something her mother never has:  ‘If it's ever too much for you, you have to say you can’t handle it.’” I feel a little sad for Maddie after reading this. What are your thoughts?

http://www.realitytea.com/2015/05/12/maddie-ziegler-fame-affected-life-childhood-admits-doesnt-feel-normal-anymore/

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Interesting interview. She does sound old for her age. There is definitely a struggle going on, as there probably is with most child stars. I wonder if Melissa ever tells her if it becomes too much it is ok to stop. ..probably not. Maddie better get used to the no privacy thing because this is a flash forward to her future if she wants to stay in the spotlight.

I know some people will rip her apart on what she had to say about her sister but I think it is just normal sister "stuff". My two dd's are 4 years apart and have very different personalities. They love each other but bicker a lot. Could she just have said that her and her sister are very different, sure but she did mention they have no space from each other and she is a 12 year old girl. I do feel bad for Mackenzie because she will be forever in her sisters shadow. Not a fun place to be.

Loved the pic of Maddie with the interview. She looked adorable and very age appropriate. Loved her outfit!
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Normal sister stuff for sure, but as we have seen in previous interview with the entire cast of dance moms, they don't seem to have a good team of people around them telling them that speaking negatively of other in interviews will eventually come back to bite them. It is unfortunate for all of these girls. I feel sad for each and every one of them.

Watching the show last night I was taken aback at how Abbey and the moms attacked JoJo, her education, and speech. Not the time or place for that discussion. And if it is true that Jojo doesn't go to school at all then I am saddest for that little girl and I hope CPS steps in at some point.
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I've felt sad for these girls for a long time.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I've said it since I started chiming in on this train wreck of a show and this interview doesn't change my mind.  I  don't think it's going to end well for many of these girls.  And that includes Maddie.
Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
It's sad because unfortunately the type of exposure and training she has had does not bode well for a long successful career. At 12, she has probably just about peaked. If she wants to be a "triple threat" why is she in LA doing TV spots and music videos and not NYC doing theater? It really doesn't seem like she is surrounded by good people. And her mom as her manager? She is qualified how?
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
http://thefirstcatwalk.com/2015/05/13/chloe-lukasiak-a-talent-for-the-ages/

However this article about Chloe is so positive and upbeat....funny how a change in scenery changes a child's perspective.
Lunafly

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJillyLilly2Dance

However this article about Chloe is so positive and upbeat....funny how a change in scenery changes a child's perspective.

Her responses are also a lot more polished and diplomatic. This is nothing against Maddie. It just demonstrates that Chloe appears to be receiving better coaching about how to manage her persona.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I can't help but wonder if Chloe was provided with the questions in advance. DH just was interviewed by a magazine for work, and his company's marketing team was able to provide him with the questions up front. He was able to review them so that he would be able to best articulate his answers.

Also, this is a pet peeve of mine, on which I very rarely comment because I'm far from perfect, but I can't help myself. I have to say that both of these writers really needed a good editor. The Maddie article wasn't as bad as the Chloe one, but the Chloe one seems like it was written by a 12-year-old (albeit one with a really nice vocabulary). A quick read-through would be enough to eliminate the extra/incorrect words and incorrect punctuation.

I know I set myself up for this, so feel free to correct my spelling, writing, syntax, grammar, punctuation, etc.![wink]
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunafly
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJillyLilly2Dance

Her responses are also a lot more polished and diplomatic. This is nothing against Maddie. It just demonstrates that Chloe appears to be receiving better coaching about how to manage her persona.

I agree. I think the post dance moms interviews I've seen and read of Chloe seem very well coached - almost like she couldn't have said anything more perfect that what she said.

Sounds like Melissa is really going to have her hands full w/ McKenzie as she becomes a teen. Between this and that video of her trashing JoJo sounds like she's really starting to get a little attitude, and she's only 10.
sansha

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
What adult tells a child "she's her muse".  As if the mother and ALM's exploitation isn't enough, now there's a nutcase singer.

Whether Sia's interest is manufactured for publicity or there's a genuine if questionable admiration -- the last thing this pre-teen girl needs is another adult using her, particularly given Sia's questionable sexploitation to attract notice.

The triple threat thing seems more wishful thinking than reality.
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
It's sad because unfortunately the type of exposure and training she has had does not bode well for a long successful career. At 12, she has probably just about peaked. If she wants to be a "triple threat" why is she in LA doing TV spots and music videos and not NYC doing theater? It really doesn't seem like she is surrounded by good people. And her mom as her manager? She is qualified how?

Because who gets famous off of theater?  The end result her mother wants was never for her to be a triple threat.  It's for her to be FAMOUS and she doesn't care how she gets her there. [rolleyes]
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I didn't really see anything wrong with Maddie's article,mod course it's hard and of course she is busy, that goes with the territory of what she is doing.

The girls are obviously still getting an excellent education. 4 hours a day with a private tutor is more time that our kids (in Australia) spend in front of their teachers in a classroom as one of a class of 25.

Chloe's article on the other hand made me scoff. Not because of what Chloe said, Chloe sounded very down to earth, but the article mentioned her incredible talent in every sentence.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm going to ditto Heidi. My exact thoughts. Regarding the triple threat. I'm reminded of an interview maddie did way back after the first season of DMs. She was asked if she desires a career in dance and her reply was, "most definitely, I want to be on broadway." My impression is that maddie would be better suited for theater, but her momager Melissa wants her to be a STAR. It's all about the fame and money. Sad, really.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I feel bad for Maddie out of all the girls. This isn't going to turn out good for her. Melissa cares about fame and living through her daughter. Maddie lost friends, having trouble with school, lost a relationship with her father and probably blames herself for her parents divorce, since Melissa and Kurt said dance ruined their marriage. She's not going to have a regular childhood. She will always be that brat or girl from dance moms. Or that girl from the Sia video. Chasing fame isn't what it looks like from the outside. Everyone failed this kid.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I think it's terrible that Melissa and Kurt say they divorced because of dance. How can the kids not feel a certain amount of responsibility for that? Way to scar your kids for life.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
I think it's terrible that Melissa and Kurt say they divorced because of dance. How can the kids not feel a certain amount of responsibility for that? Way to scar your kids for life.

I think it's sad that she barely sees her dad [frown]. It sounds as if he almost gave up trying to stay in the girls lives when their fame started to take off - all the traveling for the show probably made it next to impossible (which is probably true for all the girls' fathers and not just Maddie/Mckensie, but still, having to split time on top of her being away all the time has to make it even harder). She even seems to refer to Melissa's man as more significant in her life than her own dad [frown], so it makes me think that even when she is in Pittsburgh she spends a lot more time w/ Melissa than at her dad's.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleB70
Quote:

Because who gets famous off of theater?  The end result her mother wants was never for her to be a triple threat.  It's for her to be FAMOUS and she doesn't care how she gets her there. [rolleyes]

I wonder if Maddie is doing Broadway next.  In the tell all show this week, they gave a number of Abby Lee dancers who've done Broadway.  They were joking about how the number never changes and Abby started to say something and then stop (I'm sure it was scripted).  But I wonder if it was a tease to Maddie's next endeavor. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I liked her better after this article. For a 12 year old who got thrust into fame pretty fast, she seems to have a strong base and an eye on her future.  She appears to work hard in her small world and seems grateful for what she has been handed.  Not many kids would be like that in a similar situation.

I hate it when people all say "those kids will never make their dreams come true."  I think people want them to fail because of that horrible little show and because people generally want celebrities to fail.  If they work hard and take advantage of opportunities, then there is no more reason these kids will fail anymore than any other kid who is trying to become a dancer.

As far as her dad is concerned, I am guessing he has "opted out."  He was getting no say in how his daughters were being raised and after fighting for awhile, just gave up and started a new family.  Lots of guys are like that. Conflict resolution is not many men's strong suit, especially when confronted with strong women (Melissa and Abby and TLC.)
alex2155

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I heard somewhere that Maddie had been cast in the Broadway show Billy Elliot, before Dance Moms, but turned it down.  I'm not sure the exact reason she turned it down, it was either her mom didn't want to up and move to NY, or the Dance Mom's contract was in the works already.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
So she considers herself a 9 out of 10?  LOL. 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
So she considers herself a 9 out of 10?  LOL. 

I lol'd at that too!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

I hate it when people all say "those kids will never make their dreams come true."  I think people want them to fail because of that horrible little show and because people generally want celebrities to fail.  If they work hard and take advantage of opportunities, then there is no more reason these kids will fail anymore than any other kid who is trying to become a dancer.

I think that may be true for those who root for one over another (i.e. Chloe will rise, Maddie will fall) but for those who question the future of the whole crowd?  I would disagree that that is what's behind it.  

I think it's important to remember that DM was/is not some sort of documentary following a team of "serious" dancers as they train, compete & take advantage of different opportunities as they come their way.  This is a contrived reality show, the scars from which will follow them all for a long time to come.  Now, on top of that, consider that their talents have been overstated.  And opportunities handed to them on a silver platter. This is not how the real world works & therefore isn't setting them up properly for a real future in this industry.  And then, finally, acknowledge the real risk of burn out & overexposure.  It really doesn't bode well for these girls.  

Really.  Think about it.  Given their ages, if they were typical kids we would all question the long term.  So very much can change in 10 years.  Now throw in all the complicating factors that exist because of their involvement on this show?  It doesn't make success any more likely.  In fact, it probably makes it less likely.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

And opportunities handed to them on a silver platter. This is not how the real world works & therefore isn't setting them up properly for a real future in this industry.  And then, finally, acknowledge the real risk of burn out & overexposure.  It really doesn't bode well for these girls.  

Really.  Think about it.  Given their ages, if they were typical kids we would all question the long term.  So very much can change in 10 years.  Now throw in all the complicating factors that exist because of their involvement on this show?  It doesn't make success any more likely.  In fact, it probably makes it less likely.

I kind of think this IS how the real world works.  I know most of us don't want to think that as we want the world to be fair and for the kids that pay their dues to win out, but it's not.  The fact that it was Maddie at the Grammy's and in 2 music videos rather then the reigning YAGP winner says that.  No matter what you think, the fact that she did that is a fact.  It's a tough pill to swallow. Her dance world might be small so in that world she is probably the best of the best and I am guessing there is going to come a time where there is a cold slap of reality.  But my kid has gotten that slap every time she has changed studios (we trade up.)

Let me give a more real world example.  We have two senior boys at our studio.  Both are beyond fantastic...professional level.  Both go to NYCDA nationals.  One gets a $200,000 scholarship to PACE the other gets $65,000 to Pointe Park.  Why the difference?  Politics according to SO.  The $200,000 winner has been in the NYCDA circuit for years while the $65,000 winner was relatively new to the scene.  Work ethic and talent the same for both kids.  Actually the $65,000 winner might be more driven and hard working since he comes from a poorer family and is "hungrier."

Say what you want about Abby Lee (and I think she is a calculated harpy), the way she has treated those kids has hardened them to stone.  Hopefully, they will be able to push through the hard critiques in the future and work hard (just as hard as some of our kids) to get where they want to go.  That along with a little therapy, might take them a long way.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

And opportunities handed to them on a silver platter. This is not how the real world works & therefore isn't setting them up properly for a real future in this industry.  And then, finally, acknowledge the real risk of burn out & overexposure.  It really doesn't bode well for these girls.  

I kind of think this IS how the real world works.  I know most of us don't want to think that as we want the world to be fair and for the kids that pay their dues to win out, but it's not.  The fact that it was Maddie at the Grammy's and in 2 music videos rather then the reigning YAGP winner says that.  No matter what you think, the fact that she did that is a fact.  It's a tough pill to swallow. Her dance world might be small so in that world she is probably the best of the best and I am guessing there is going to come a time where there is a cold slap of reality.  But my kid has gotten that slap every time she has changed studios (we trade up.)

Let me give a more real world example.  We have two senior boys at our studio.  Both are beyond fantastic...professional level.  Both go to NYCDA nationals.  One gets a $200,000 scholarship to PACE the other gets $65,000 to Pointe Park.  Why the difference?  Politics according to SO.  The $200,000 winner has been in the NYCDA circuit for years while the $65,000 winner was relatively new to the scene.  Work ethic and talent the same for both kids.  Actually the $65,000 winner might be more driven and hard working since he comes from a poorer family and is "hungrier."

Say what you want about Abby Lee (and I think she is a calculated harpy), the way she has treated those kids has hardened them to stone.  Hopefully, they will be able to push through the hard critiques in the future and work hard (just as hard as some of our kids) to get where they want to go.  That along with a little therapy, might take them a long way.

Let me say first that many of us are in fact old enough to know that the world is NOT fair [smile]  And that that is not at all what this is about.

That said,  I do hear what you're saying but I think it's apples to oranges.  Unlike the examples you've cited, these DM kids are not "beyond fantastic... professional level". They aren't getting what they're getting because of amazing talent & hard work. Not that they don't have some talent.  And not that they don't work hard.  But that has little to do with why they're getting what they're getting.  And, me?  I honestly don't yet see any evidence that any of those kids will ever have enough of what it really takes to be in the running 'on their own'.  Especially given the baggage they're now carrying.  And when I say baggage I mean more than just the emotional kind.   But, of course, that's me.  YMMV

eta:  and.. IDK... I'm pretty darn sure that the reigning YAGP winner has no interest in doing a music video with Sia.  Nor do plenty of other young dancers.  Not every dancer considers "any" job a "good" job.  IMO what these kids have is really not to be envied so when people suggest that it is, or that others are in fact envious, I do worry a little about perspective.  When these kids start landing legitimate gigs based on their talent and not their celebrity status?  Then, and only then, will I stop to take  notice.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: