Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #1 

Dd's a yr out from auditioning but at the suggestion of her teachers will be attending whatever auditions she might be able to get herself to this yr... just to get a feel for the process.  First up, completely on a lark, was the ABT Studio Company audition last weekend.  Found out about it late in the wk & thought hey, what the heck, this'll be fun... so in we went on Sunday.

Anyway, it was combined w/the summer SI auditions & dd had the option to request consideration for that as well... but since she already has solid SI plans she declined.  Still, a couple of days later she received an email inviting her to attend their NYC Collegiate SI in June.  Three wks which just happens to take place before the start of her SI.

Now, initially we fluffed it off but not knowing much about it I took the opportunity to look into it... just out of curiosity.  Only to find that it is often attended by dancers who will also be attending some of the better known SIs for their longer mid summer programs... San Francisco Ballet, the 5 wk NY ABT SI, Miami City, etc.  And was said to be a great program by those dancers.  Surprise surprise.

So... just wondering if anyone here as any personal experience.  First or second hand knowledge.  Looking for specifics like class size, schedule, faculty, & what exactly people did/did not like about it.  Not about how prestigious or selective it is/isn't.  I don't think we'd shell out the money one way or the other but I always like to know what she's turning down 😉         

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No idea, but congratulations on the offer!
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
No firsthand experience with the program here, but DD had a friend at a summer program who had came there from the ABT Collegiate program. It was a very full summer of dancing for her - 9 weeks, I think? - and she liked both programs. She's now a trainee at a regional company, as far as I know. 😉
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Only second hand info and kind of a mixed bag. 

Dd was at a school that reviewed SI choices/auditions with students in their conferences. When dd brought up the idea of auditioning in hopes of attending that program in June, just to keep dancing daily with plenty of house, the faculty as a whole vetoed the idea. One of the faculty members teaches for ABT regularly and another on occasion. They were definite in their veto of that idea. They felt that open classes would be a better choice for her than that particular program. (And that is just what dd did and it saved me $$ in the end, even with a private or 2). It is truly designed for the dancer who is working on a degree in dance. They can earn credits for it if their university accepts credits for dance. I can think of 2 of dd's friends who did that, one from Butler and one from University of Utah. Once again, kind of mixed reviews from them as well. 

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Only second hand info and kind of a mixed bag. 

Dd was at a school that reviewed SI choices/auditions with students in their conferences. When dd brought up the idea of auditioning in hopes of attending that program in June, just to keep dancing daily with plenty of house, the faculty as a whole vetoed the idea. One of the faculty members teaches for ABT regularly and another on occasion. They were definite in their veto of that idea. They felt that open classes would be a better choice for her than that particular program. (And that is just what dd did and it saved me $$ in the end, even with a private or 2). It is truly designed for the dancer who is working on a degree in dance. They can earn credits for it if their university accepts credits for dance. I can think of 2 of dd's friends who did that, one from Butler and one from University of Utah. Once again, kind of mixed reviews from them as well. 

That's interesting. Was that recent? Did they give specifics... say what exactly they didn't like? Even if it is designed for the college dancer, a lot of dancers looking to pursue professional performance careers go to college now so not sure why that in itself "should" be a red flag.  Still, I'll admit, w/o knowing anything about it I assumed it wasnt the most demanding of programs.  Which is why I was surprised to find the very positive reviews I did from such talented dancers (or so it would seem if they were also invited to the likes of SFB & the 5 wker in NYC in the same yr they were invited to the collegiate SI).  They talked about the faculty/guest teachers being the same as the faculty/guests at the longer NYC one.  Long days (9-5).  Two days/wk of pas de duex (lots of boys!).  And lots of very talented dancers that even they were a bit surprised to see.  It sounded as if they went as a prep for their 5 wk program not expecting much but then ended up being very pleasantly surprised by their experience.

Since I initially posted I've actually started to give it a second thought.  Started thinking that if indeed it was a solid program it might be worth it because of what else it could offer dd beyond the dance.  Three wks completely on her own in the city.  Completely. on. her. own.  No dorm.  No supervision.  Just thinking about her going off in 2019... that experience by itself might be worthwhile.  It's really not that expensive for a 3 wk 9-5 program.  I paid not much less for 1 wk at the Rockettes.  And we were already planning on spending 2/3 as much for a 1 wk August intensive.  Is 2 more wks & the personal growth that will come from navigating the city on her own worth an additional $750 or so?  Gotta think about that.  It would mean that dd would have to leave her yr round program 2 wks early though & I'm not sure how she'll feel about that.  Lots to think/talk about tonight.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, DD knows dancers who were there last summer and the summer before. Her advice from her school faculty, which includes people who teach at ABT SIs and JKO, came regarding summer of 2015 if I recall correctly, so a bit in the past. It was a surprise to both of us when their opinion was voiced. But, it is a program and a place to dance. ABT SIs run like well oiled wheels. In dd's experience, they are very good at teaching large classes. Far better than she experienced elsewhere. They will always give a sound class, level appropriate, and will give both class and some personal corrections. But it's not the same as going to their normal summer program. Those who have done both have said as much.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 

It's too bad you weren't given specifics to back those opinions (my pet peeve  lol).  If they're leveling appropriately, giving sound instruction w/general & occasionally personal corrections, if there's a full daily schedule of classes from yoga to tech to pointe to pas to modern, the faculty is capable (& perhaps notable)... what could make it so under par?  And how could open tech classes be a better choice than 3 wks of a full 9-5 w/not only tech but pointe/rep/pas (esp pas)?  Maybe it was the added cost?  A case of... "it's really not necessary to spend an additional $1500 for this, you'd be just as well to...."?  Maybe they felt it didn't fit your/their specific needs?     

If that's not it, without such specifics... IDK... just kinda sounds like a case of people looking down their noses because it's not as 'prestigious', not as 'selective'.  Because the only other option doesn't shine all that brightly on ABT.    

And please know that all that is all not really directed at you, tendumom.  You're just passing on what you heard.  And I'm just thinking aloud. And perhaps having a bit of a knee jerk reaction to, as I said, one of my pet peeves... opinions that are offered w/o any real substance.  lol       

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdear
Congrats to your DD Heidi....I have a feeling it's the start of many good things to come for her.  The next new wonderful chapter.  😉[like]

Naaah. I suspect they just offered it to her because it was the only one she could do & she fit the profile 😉  It doesn't appear to be super selective... getting invited isn't any indication of where you do or don't sit on the food chain.  But my research suggests that more advanced dancers are indeed invited... choose to go.... & have been happy w/the experience... so we continue to mull it over. I keep going back to the opportunity for her to experience such independence in the city over such a length of time ... & we are not elitists when it comes to training.  At dd's age, when you're talking about a more general program such as this, it basically comes down to what she'll "choose" to make of it.  She knows what she needs to work on, how to push herself.... just needs a program that will allow her lots of opportunities to do so.  

I know I'm rambling.  Sorry. Still looking for that crystal ball 😉

BalletMom123

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Hi. My dd who is also 17 and a junior has been accepted to the ABT collegiate summer program.

We had to get permission for her to take her finals early and now we are figuring out housing. She also has to miss the end of her regular program and the performance. But she is thrilled to be going to NY and, even if it isn't the "highest level" thinks it is going to be a great learning experience. Especially for the partnering.

And I am going with her. She did a SI in Chicago last summer by herself, but it was highly structured and supervised. I don't feel comfortable letting her roam Manhattan alone. No matter how much she begs. 😂

I am brand new to this forum. Joined to find out more about this intensive.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletMom123
Hi. My dd who is also 17 and a junior has been accepted to the ABT collegiate summer program. We had to get permission for her to take her finals early and now we are figuring out housing. She also has to miss the end of her regular program and the performance. But she is thrilled to be going to NY and, even if it isn't the "highest level" thinks it is going to be a great learning experience. Especially for the partnering. And I am going with her. She did a SI in Chicago last summer by herself, but it was highly structured and supervised. I don't feel comfortable letting her roam Manhattan alone. No matter how much she begs. 😂 I am brand new to this forum. Joined to find out more about this intensive.

I had thought the partnering was a big plus as well.  2-3 days a wk depending on level.  And w/lots of boys, the girls aren't wasting a lot of time just waiting for their turn.  

And it stands to reason that at this age it's extremely difficult to get into the more prestigious selective SIs, more so than at any other age.  Even for the advanced dancer.  They're looking for a more finished product that could fit into the top level of their year round or trainee program.  And that means one that fits "their" ideal.  Being a beautiful, talented dancer simply isn't enough.

Good luck to your dd... I hope she enjoys it.  And that you'll come back to give a bit of a review.  We ended up deciding against it but I"m sure if my dd went she would have found it worthwhile.  It's all what you make of it 😉
SRBmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Was in NYC for ABT NTC teacher training in 2015, at the same time a 17-year old from the studio I teach at was at the Collegiate Program. I recall she was disappointed that she turned out to be one of the best ballet dancers, getting one of the two soloist roles in the workshop performance. She described many of the other dancers as focused on other dance genres and using the Collegiate to improve in ballet. She had hoped that it would be a conduit to staying year-round or the studio company, and was very disappointed to find that was never on the table for Collegiate participants. Old information, second-hand information, but her sad disappointment has always stuck with me. I believe Flavio Salazar of JKO was their primary teacher that summer. Good luck to your DD!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBmom
Was in NYC for ABT NTC teacher training in 2015, at the same time a 17-year old from the studio I teach at was at the Collegiate Program. I recall she was disappointed that she turned out to be one of the best ballet dancers, getting one of the two soloist roles in the workshop performance. She described many of the other dancers as focused on other dance genres and using the Collegiate to improve in ballet. She had hoped that it would be a conduit to staying year-round or the studio company, and was very disappointed to find that was never on the table for Collegiate participants. Old information, second-hand information, but her sad disappointment has always stuck with me. I believe Flavio Salazar of JKO was their primary teacher that summer. Good luck to your DD!

No surprise here really, that the collegiate program is NOT a conduit to the year round program or the studio company & would be most attractive to just the dancer you describe... the college student focusing on other dance genres, hoping to improve their technique.  But a good class (assuming it is a good class) is a good class.  And a mature dancer should be able to get a lot out of a good class regardless of who is standing next to her at the barre.  Not sure why this seems to be lost on so many dancers.  Leads me right back to my hot button  lol  

eta:  not dismissing that dancer's observation.  It's an observation.  And one that many would find interesting if they were considering the program, no doubt  I'm just giving my random thoughts on the observation 😉
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.