Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
OK, I feel a little foolish not knowing the answer to this, but, any of your kids ever suffer from an ingrown toenail? My daughter is in her second year of pointe and I wonder if maybe she didn't clip her toenail correctly and aggravated it during class?  Just guessing.  She had a blister on the side of the big toe that popped and toe is sore.

Anyone know what to do for this? Do I just let it be for now? Thanks all.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Those hurt SO BAD!! DD used to get them pretty regularly and it was just awful. What we did was soak the foot in a hot epsom salt bath for like 30 min or so. Until the skin was nice and soft and supple. Then I would help her move the skin around over where her ingrown nail was. If it doesn't hurt you aren't doing it right, unfortunately!! Eventually my DD was able to massage the skin around that area by herself. We did that at least twice a day until they eventually get better in a few days and go away. For future, make sure the nails are clipped flat across and not curved on the sides. Once you clip them flat, you can gently file the sides so that they are not so harsh. Good Luck!
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I personally had it a few times. The doctor had to remove almost half of the affected side of my toe nail, it then took a few months for it to fully grow back. And since I had to wrap the toe with gauze during the healing process, I remember I had to wear sandal for the first month or so. I don’t know how bad is your situation or if there’s an infection, it’s best to go see a doctor and ask if you can take care of it after the comp season.
karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Both of the above for one of my daughters.  She is prone to ingrown toenails (big toes) and so once one becomes a little sore, she will start the Epsom soaks..as many times a day as she can.  It also helps, once the skin is soft like dance010 described above, to slide some dental floss under the toenail at the point where the pain is and let that separate the nail from the skin to help the toenail grow out correctly.  Wear the floss in street shoes and remove/replace with every Epson bath and don't do it while she's actually dancing. 

Once she did not catch in time & the ingrown part of her toenail had to be removed at the root.  It will not grow back (it's just a small slice of nail on the side) so she will have no further problems with that foot.  That may be an option for her if she has a repeated problem in just one specific corner. 

Hope this helps and you're definitely not alone! 
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.  She will be doing a lot of soaking this weekend!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.