Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemomjb

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My dd16 and I have made the choice to go independent next season as things aren't working with our comp studio. She will get more of a chance to train this way. Anyone have tips for burning music onto CD's yourself, DT always did this for us before. Also if you have gone independent what was your experience with this.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dd's choreographers always took care of burning the cds for her.  Is your dd self choreographing?  If so, you could youtube a tutorial.  I think it's a fairly simple process.

As far as the general experience, I always find it easier to answer if there are specific questions.  Fire away...
dancemomjb

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Dd's choreographers always took care of burning the cds for her.  Is your dd self choreographing?  If so, you could youtube a tutorial.  I think it's a fairly simple process.

As far as the general experience, I always find it easier to answer if there are specific questions.  Fire away...

She is self choreographing her dance. Also, do you know any comps that allow independents? Did your dancer ever feel lonely being by them self at a comp?? Would it be inappropriate for my dancer to go to a comp her old team would be at?? Her favorite comp is a local one the studio attends yearly and she would also love to see her friends. Also, would the old studio owners be mad about that?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Ok...

There are lots of comps that allow independents, you really just need to do your homework. I suggest finding out who is coming to your area, then peruse their websites for their policy (generally under rules & regulations).  Or pick up the phone/send them an email & ask them directly.  Whatever you do, don't be discouraged by people who are quick to tell you that they are few & far between... not true.  In the 2 years my dd was independent she competed at Elite Performance Challenge, ADA, Starquest, Headliners, Dancers Inc, Starpower, Elite Dance Tournament, & OnStage NY. Some of those (Headliners, Starpower, OnStage, EDT & I think EPC) I registered her myself. For the others one of her choreos registered her but it was just a formality as I suspect they just want to keep some sense of quality control (for lack of a better word).  The comp you want to attend doesn't allow you to register as "independent" but you don't know of a dance teacher/choreo who can help you out?  You can always just write in your own name (i.e. McDonald's Dance Studio)... the equivalent of homeschooling , no? [wink]  And don't let anyone make you feel bad about it either.  You wouldn't be hurting anyone.  You're paying your fee like everyone else.   Your dancer wants to dance... let her dance.

As far as feeling lonely.. nope.  Never.  My dd's a pretty independent sort though.  We ran in.. she did her thing...we watched other dancers while waiting for awards... we left. No drama.  It was great.

Would it be inappropriate to go to a comp her old team would be at?  No.  Would I recommend it?  Uhhhhhhh  I don't know.  Dd's split w/her old comp team was ugly &, lo & behold, didn't we just happen to see them at her second comp as an independent. Oh joy. Complete coincidence... & a complete dramafest.   Now that doesn't mean you'd have the same experience, of course.  I'd say it depends on how the split went.  How did they, the old friends & the SO, feel when you left?  Do they know you're going independent? How do they feel about that?  Your answer lies in the answers to those questions, I think.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Throwing this out there, I would be happy to help you cut and edit your music. It is a hobby and I enjoy a quality edit very much. I will send you an mp3 file and you may burn as many CDs as you'd like. I do not accept payment as my goal is to help dancers from an educational standpoint and not a commerce standpoint. Message me if you would like help.
5678StarMom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #6 
For the music, I use audacity. There's a large wiki available on how to use it. I cut music for DDs ballet teacher as she's not super tech oriented. At 16 your DD may be able to do it herself. 

My dancer was kind of lonely last year at her independent comps. It threw her off her vibe a bit when we went by ourselves. It really depends on the kid. I still think it was a valuable experience for her to deal with being alone in that setting, but I don't want to seek it out again. We went to several comps with just one friend and that worked better. This year we found a studio that will be taking a small group of soloists and I'm hoping that is a better fit for her for the next few years.  

"Would it be inappropriate for my dancer to go to a comp her old team would be at??" This would never ever ever in a million years work in our situation, at this point. DD has gone back and forth in placement with other soloists at her old studio and if she went to a comp and placed above them, she would be (more) hated. If she went and placed below them, they would all talk about her like she wasn't as good since she left yadda yadda. And it's not as if the teacher would want her to share a dressing room and be chummy with other kids that she was up against. It would be a total disaster for us and I wouldn't want that vibe. And I would like to keep an open relationship with the studio and mostly the teachers. It's a fragile situation now, I think her moving on will be more accepted in time. Old studio doesn't do convention comps though, and if they did I don't think it would be an issue to take classes with old teammates, just not compete against them. The studio owner would be less upset than the teacher. The main teacher is very competitive with her choreography and doesn't like to be beaten in line up by DDs current and other teacher...even if it is all subjective.

Our new primary studio doesn't have soloists so we can't take her solos to the comps they go to either, because it would be a slap in the face to all the kids on their teams following their policy.
5678StarMom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
In comparison, being alone is exactly the vibe DD needs for SI auditions. We tried going to one with a friend that she knew from her comp team and she didn't feel that she was a prepared and focused the same as she is going by herself!
mic123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

As far as feeling lonely.. nope.  Never.  My dd's a pretty independent sort though.  We ran in.. she did her thing...we watched other dancers while waiting for awards... we left. No drama.  It was great.

My daughter is not an independent but she has taken her solo to additional competitions without her team.  She loves any opportunity to perform so it doesn't bother her being the only one there.
claydove

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We just went to our first comp as an independent. It felt odd. When I checked in, they asked me a couple of times if we were part of a large studio in the area. While my daughter was on stage, the judges never lifted their heads and actually looked at her. She did a beautiful job (which is actually all that matters), but didn't score all that well. I'll be surprised to get a critique.  Feeling like they just wanted my money!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I'm sorry that you had that experience, claydove.  My dd competed independently for two years.  10 comps in total.  And always had a great experience.  What comp did you attend?

Also... my understanding has always been that the judges score sheets' do not indicate studio affiliation (or in this case, independent status).  Maybe that's not true for all comps... but my understanding is that it is true for  most.
claydove

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
It was showbiz. Some of the reviews say that Showbiz favors large studios with dressing room space and scoring. She is signed up for six more, so I hope she gets a fair look from the judges from other companies. Glad to hear that your daughter has had good experiences. My daughter has moved to a performing arts school. The director does not like comps. But allows his students to do independent solos with some of his teachers.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.