Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
It's possible that the non-competition studio he attends is not recreational. Hard to believe at times today, but there are still a few studios out there that do not compete and still provide high quality instruction and produce dancers who successfully get admitted to competitive college programs and work professionally. It's one of own little dance pet peeves that this sort of studio is on the verge of going extinct so people don't even realize that such a thing exists.  But I agree. I suspect that the dad has not been exposed to dance drama yet for a multitude of possible reasons. I bet it even exists in some rec studios. 
greenhorn

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Important to make sure your goals continue to match the studios.  If at any point these diverge, it is important to acknowledge it sooner rather than later.  I agree, you pay too much money to "grit" it out or accept less than the best. Don't think it will magically fix itself
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDanceDad
Should a studio then be able to have the right to deny a "paying customer" if they find them particularly difficult to deal with?  Just trying to make sure I'm clearly understanding. 

Actually, yes. Our current studio owner has turned many families away because she didn’t want the crazy.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Very true words. There aren't many options in our area for dance, but nothing would have been better than where we were at. My girl was hesitant to leave her last studio, but she's loving the current place so much more as am I. Wish we had switched sooner.

Since we left others have followed. While the old studio still has enough students to survive for now, as more wise up to not all studios have the issues they have, something will need to change or they will close
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I agree. I think people need to remind themselves that they are paying customers and they do not have to tolerate all the crap they are given from a studio. With that said, I know from experience that it can be very difficult to leave a studio for a variety of reasons. My DD's last studio was toxic for so many reasons, but there were also positives about it. We stayed for too long, hoping that we could somehow work through the negatives or change our own expectations and behavior to try and change our experience there. The problem for us in regards to making a decision to leave was that my DD was too young to understand the problems that were happening there. They were all above her head, and she was happy as a clam. She didnt know any different about her training, so she had no idea that her training was sub-par, and she had lots of friends there and enjoyed dancing there. Plus, I was afraid that we'd switch and then have the same problems or worse somewhere else.
My point is, it's not so black and white. It's not like "well, if you're not happy then leave." Most of the time there are things that you're not happy about but also things that you do like about a studio so some people choose to tolerate the bad if they feel there is also some good. In our case, the bad began to horribly outweigh the good, so we did finally leave. I have to say, her new studio is a ton better, and I do not regret the switch at all. However, this studio is certainly not without its negatives either. I think it's rare for there to be one perfect fit for every individual.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamala
I agree. I think people need to remind themselves that they are paying customers and they do not have to tolerate all the crap they are given from a studio. With that said, I know from experience that it can be very difficult to leave a studio for a variety of reasons. My DD's last studio was toxic for so many reasons, but there were also positives about it. We stayed for too long, hoping that we could somehow work through the negatives or change our own expectations and behavior to try and change our experience there. The problem for us in regards to making a decision to leave was that my DD was too young to understand the problems that were happening there. They were all above her head, and she was happy as a clam. She didnt know any different about her training, so she had no idea that her training was sub-par, and she had lots of friends there and enjoyed dancing there. Plus, I was afraid that we'd switch and then have the same problems or worse somewhere else.
My point is, it's not so black and white. It's not like "well, if you're not happy then leave." Most of the time there are things that you're not happy about but also things that you do like about a studio so some people choose to tolerate the bad if they feel there is also some good. In our case, the bad began to horribly outweigh the good, so we did finally leave. I have to say, her new studio is a ton better, and I do not regret the switch at all. However, this studio is certainly not without its negatives either. I think it's rare for there to be one perfect fit for every individual.

Re: the bolded... I couldn't agree more.  There is no perfect studio that will fit the needs of every dancer/family.  But there is a perfect studio for each individual.  Not perfect in that there is nothing about it that you might consider changing if you had some magic wand.  But perfect for 'you', for 'your' needs, at 'this' time.  This notion that you will always just be trading one big problem for another is a common one.... one that often keeps people from switching... and it's simply not true.  Sometimes the grass really is greener.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Re: the bolded... I couldn't agree more.  There is no perfect studio that will fit the needs of every dancer/family.  But there is a perfect studio for each individual.  Not perfect in that there is nothing about it that you might consider changing if you had some magic wand.  But perfect for 'you', for 'your' needs, at 'this' time.  This notion that you will always just be trading one big problem for another is a common one.... one that often keeps people from switching... and it's simply not true.  Sometimes the grass really is greener.

Regarding the bolded, maybe, somewhere in the country.  And yes, I do know folks who have moved several hundred miles simply to change dance studios.  But that isn't possible for everyone.

Our current situation is not perfect.  But it's the best fit locally.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Our current situation is not perfect.  But it's the best fit locally.

^this! “Within a manageable commute” I would say
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.