Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter is graduating this year and at their final recital, the seniors each dance a senior dance solo.  Often it's a dance they competed during the season, but it doesn't have to be.

For my daughter, it would be a tap dance, and I'm trying to think of a song that is acknowledges the occasion...that she is leaving after 12 years with the studio...either saying good bye or acknowledging friendship and good times.  Ideally it would be a good song for choreographing some good tap that could compete or not too cheesy (but it doesn't have to be.)

Thanks! 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
"Good Riddance" by Green Day.  There are several really good acoustic versions as well.  Right off the top of my head, I know Boyce Avenue has a really good one.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
"Good Riddance" by Green Day.  There are several really good acoustic versions as well.  Right off the top of my head, I know Boyce Avenue has a really good one.

Ummmm... given the actual definition of 'good riddance'... I'm not so sure about that  [wink]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
What about I Lived by One Republic.
momtotapcate

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My daughter did "Good Riddance" as her senior dance.

Yes, I know the original intention.

Do most people know?  Dunno.  If they do, they don't think about it.

She did well in her competitions.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotapcate
My daughter did "Good Riddance" as her senior dance.

Yes, I know the original intention.

Do most people know?  Dunno.  If they do, they don't think about it.

She did well in her competitions.

I don't expect that the judges would care whether it was to be taken literally or not.... not that it's about the scoring.  I'm just saying that for those who do understand what it means that it could be a "really?' moment(and I'm going on the assumption that most adults... parents/teachers/studio owners/choreographers... do indeed know what it means since it's not an "original" intention but the actual meaning) .  It really isn't a very nice saying.  It's like saying 'thank goodness this is over, I hope I never have to see these people/do this ever again'. 

I remember being a kid and saying it to a couple of friends as they got out of our car (my mom was driving them home).  I had no idea what it meant, I just heard it somewhere and just knew it was some form of goodbye.  My mom schooled me pretty quick.  I apologized the next day  lol
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Should you like the song Good Riddance, you could always use it and give the Dance a different title 😉
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

The subtitle for "Good Riddance" is "Time of Your Life" and that was its intended title originally. Perhaps I should have written my suggestion as the properly titled "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)".

There are a few different reasons why Billie Joe Armstrong re-titled the song "Good Riddance". He has said that it was to deal with his bitterness from the breakup and to send his ex-girlfriend a message so to speak. However, even Armstrong has said that the interpretation of "Good Riddance (Time of your Life)"as a graduation song makes perfect sense. 

The song has been used on countless TV shows that take a reflective look with meaning and purpose.  My DD's fifth grade "graduation" slide show was done to it and I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye in the auditorium as we watched our children's images from kindergarten through fifth grade flash across the screen.  I'm 99% sure that not one parent sat there wondering, why on earth are they using a song called Good Riddance?  The words were far more important and meaningful than the title of the song.  DD and I watched the DVD of that slide show just this past summer and I felt the tears come to eyes just hearing that acoustic intro.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:

The subtitle for "Good Riddance" is "Time of Your Life" and that was its intended title originally. Perhaps I should have written my suggestion as the properly titled "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)".

There are a few different reasons why Billie Joe Armstrong re-titled the song "Good Riddance". He has said that it was to deal with his bitterness from the breakup and to send his ex-girlfriend a message so to speak. However, even Armstrong has said that the interpretation of "Good Riddance (Time of your Life)"as a graduation song makes perfect sense. 

The song has been used on countless TV shows that take a reflective look with meaning and purpose.  My DD's fifth grade "graduation" slide show was done to it and I can tell you there wasn't a dry eye in the auditorium as we watched our children's images from kindergarten through fifth grade flash across the screen.  I'm 99% sure that not one parent sat there wondering, why on earth are they using a song called Good Riddance?  The words were far more important and meaningful than the title of the song.  DD and I watched the DVD of that slide show just this past summer and I felt the tears come to eyes just hearing that acoustic intro.

Thanks for clarifying.  I never heard the song so was just reacting to the title.  Now that you provide the background it makes more sense.

tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

My dd did this as her senior tap solo-it was the perfect song to end her competition days on.  We did titled as 'Time of your Life", which was more fitting.  It is a great song to end on personally.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm sure you've heard the song Heidi but just didn't recognize the title.  I didn't realize it was titled Good Riddance.  I always thought it was Time of Your Life.

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

Another turning point
A fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist
Directs you where to go

So make the best of this test
And don't ask why
It's not a question,
But a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable,
But in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs
And still-frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf
And good health and good time

Tattoo's of memories
And dead skin on trial, go
For what it's worth
It was worth all the while

Wake me up when September ends

dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My son'e elementary school used this for 6th grade graduation too.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlw
My daughter is graduating this year and at their final recital, the seniors each dance a senior dance solo.  Often it's a dance they competed during the season, but it doesn't have to be.

For my daughter, it would be a tap dance, and I'm trying to think of a song that is acknowledges the occasion...that she is leaving after 12 years with the studio...either saying good bye or acknowledging friendship and good times.  Ideally it would be a good song for choreographing some good tap that could compete or not too cheesy (but it doesn't have to be.)

Thanks! 

I think you've already been given a great suggestion so let me just chime in to say my daughter graduates this year as well after 12 years of dance. She too will do a tap solo at the final recital. But instead of a separate or new piece specifically for recital, she'll do her competitive routine.  That's how our studio works.  What they do instead is make a little speech about the graduate as they're standing on the stage in dark lighting.  Then up come the lights and they run their comp solo.  Sometimes teammates are whooping and hollering from the wings, sometimes the dancers go a bit 'off message' and add little twists but generally the studio doesn't get involved.  So DD's final recital piece will be about people who disappoint you, and how you move on from that.  Uplifting, eh? And that's all I'm giving away!  LOL!  All the best to your daughter in the future and congratulations on her senior year.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
I'm sure you've heard the song Heidi but just didn't recognize the title.  I didn't realize it was titled Good Riddance.  I always thought it was Time of Your Life.

Yes! I have heard that but never listened closely enough to catch the words.  Thank you!
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
It's a pretty song (and while that may have been Billie Joe Armstrong's intent with the lyrics YOU can interpret it any way YOU want to) - the only reason why I wouldn't use it is because it's such a cliche goodbye/slideshow song. And I can't imagine it going with tap...
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks guys! I posted my question then disappear for a week, ha ha. That actually is one of the songs I was considering, but was trying to think of other ideas. I guess she would use the subtitle if she did it : )
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

She too will do a tap solo at the final recital. But instead of a separate or new piece specifically for recital, she'll do her competitive routine.  That's how our studio works.  What they do instead is make a little speech about the graduate as they're standing on the stage in dark lighting.  Then up come the lights and they run their comp solo. ...

It will be strange next year when there is no competition season won’t it? Technically, most do a solo from the competition season for Senior night recital also. The way it works in our studio is you are allowed to do One of your solos in the recital unless you are a senior. In that case you can do the one solo like everyone else, and then you do a second solo for your senior dance. However my daughter doesn’t complete multiple solos. She could always do her one solo as her senior dance, but if time allows, I think would enjoy doing something in addition. And if it was done in time, it would be nice to compete It. Even if only at nationals.

For our senior night, there is a slideshow going on in the background while they dance. But for years it was done differently… They would watch the slideshow from the stage while there was a voiceover of their voice. And then afterwards they would do the dance… And near the end of the dance , they’d sometimes be joined by a teacher. It stopped being done that way maybe five years ago when a couple of the seniors did not want to do a voiceover. But I’d love to see my daughter do it that way because it makes it more meaningful. And the truth is, no one really watches the dances the way it’s done now, since we are all watching the slideshow. There are only two graduating seniors this year, if we can talk the other one into doing a voice over for hers I think it would be a nice way to say goodbye. What alternatively, maybe will just ask studio director if my can do with that way even if the other girl doesn’t want to

I don’t want to curse my daughter though, because my daughter was having a very very invasive major surgery in a couple weeks and it’s going to be a momentous challenge for her to get back to dance in time for the competition season which starts late March for us. Fingers crossed

jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Kmpmom, I just reread your post and suck your description of your daughters solo song. Too funny :-)
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlw
It will be strange next year when there is no competition season won’t it? Technically, most do a solo from the competition season for Senior night recital also. The way it works in our studio is you are allowed to do One of your solos in the recital unless you are a senior. In that case you can do the one solo like everyone else, and then you do a second solo for your senior dance. However my daughter doesn’t complete multiple solos. She could always do her one solo as her senior dance, but if time allows, I think would enjoy doing something in addition. And if it was done in time, it would be nice to compete It. Even if only at nationals. For our senior night, there is a slideshow going on in the background while they dance. But for years it was done differently… They would watch the slideshow from the stage while there was a voiceover of their voice. And then afterwards they would do the dance… And near the end of the dance , they’d sometimes be joined by a teacher. It stopped being done that way maybe five years ago when a couple of the seniors did not want to do a voiceover. But I’d love to see my daughter do it that way because it makes it more meaningful. And the truth is, no one really watches the dances the way it’s done now, since we are all watching the slideshow. There are only two graduating seniors this year, if we can talk the other one into doing a voice over for hers I think it would be a nice way to say goodbye. What alternatively, maybe will just ask studio director if my can do with that way even if the other girl doesn’t want to I don’t want to curse my daughter though, because my daughter was having a very very invasive major surgery in a couple weeks and it’s going to be a momentous challenge for her to get back to dance in time for the competition season which starts late March for us. Fingers crossed

Gosh, I can't describe how much I love the idea of a voice over and slide show.  What a lovely way to pay tribute to the seniors!  All the best to your daughter with her surgery.  In the end, nothing matters more than that she is healthy and happy.  Keep us posted.  
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Thank you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.