Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, everyone. I am a first time poster. I need some help. My DD has her first lyrical solo(she did jazz at age 6) and every song I find is so overplayed. I adore Dream by Priscilla Ahn, but have seen it so many times at competition.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a song with the same feel that would be age appropriate? Thank you all!
JSDance

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Keep On Dancing- Barbie In the Pink Shoes
Shine- Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses
Your Girl- Jessica Riddle
Somewhere Out There- Sarah Morgan
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
The Glow by Shannon Saunders
Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson
This is Me(acoustic version) by Demi Lovato

I love Dream as well. DD (now 15) did a duet to it with one of our seniors when she was 12. Agree that it's used a lot, but it is a beautiful song. 

EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD8 loved dancing to Once Upon a December this year. 
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you. I love all of those.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My younger dd danced to This Little Light of Mine by Addison Road.  Very pretty and age appropriate.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
IF our minis do a lyrical solo they usually do pretty traditional songs like This little light of mine, Somewhere over the rainbow, stuff like that. Age appropriate, no heavy subjects, fairly traditional songs. Most our minis do jazz or MT solos.
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD7 solo this past year was lyrical - Bette Midler From a Distance.
momma2gap

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Go the Distance is one of my faves for mini lyrical.

My DD did Blessings by Laura Story at 8 and Every Season by Nicole Nordeman this past season.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
This year I saw a young dancer do her lyrical solo to a cover of "Pure Imagination" from the movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I really love the version and it is age appropriate. I'm searching YouTube for it now.

My daughter's first solo (at 7) was to Dream by Priscilla Ahn. Personally, I'd rather hear that a million times than one more time of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Sea Cruise, or Shake Your Tail Feather (I know, the last two aren't for lyrical). It's probably part nostalgic, but she's recycled it for a talent routine at a pageant she'll be in next week.
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I love Nichole Nordman for younger dancers!
Dancemomnebraska

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
You say by saving Jane. My daughter danced her solo last year to this and I loved it!
madkat101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Heartbeat - Mackenzie Bourg
I'll Be Home - Meghan Trainor
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
A girl at DD's studio did the main song from Tangled, it was really cute...can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was really nice.

There's also the one from Toy Story, with the female version of Woody...when you loved me, or something like that.

Good luck, lyrical is particularly hard to find appropriate kind of music (IMO).
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I love Concrete Angel by Martina McBride but she might be too young.

There is also Butterfly Kisses by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and My Little Girl by Tim McGraw.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My dd has danced to both My Little Girl and Concrete Angel. I think MLG would be good for a 7 YO but I agree  that Concrete Angel is probably too mature. DD was 12 when she danced to it and even then it took a while to get comfortable with. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom
My dd has danced to both My Little Girl and Concrete Angel. I think MLG would be good for a 7 YO but I agree  that Concrete Angel is probably too mature. DD was 12 when she danced to it and even then it took a while to get comfortable with. 

A girl from our studio did Concrete Angel a number of years ago but I think she was 11/12 at the time.
Dancemom2016

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #18 
There is a remake of Firework, look at the "We Love Disney" album there are several remakes there.
danceteenager

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 

Lyrical solos for little minis are tricky. You obviously don't want to give them anything heavy, and it bothers me when minis are given solos to songs they obviously aren't mature enough to connect to, but it does get annoying hearing the same four songs over and over (Over the Rainbow, You Are My Sunshine, A Dream is a Wish). I'd say it depends on your DD's maturity level, and how comfortable she is with lyrical. Is she good at connecting emotional to a lyrical song, or is she very new to lyrical and this is a "growth" solo? I think that should influence your decision more than anything. If she's not very comfortable with tapping into emotion while dancing (which is fine and normal because she is seven) I would go with something more Disney or traditional (all the previous suggestions are good ones to consider, I love Dream).

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes- Cinderella
When She Loved Me- Toy Story
Go The Distance- Hercules
I See The Light- Tangled

If you don't want to go the traditional/Disney route:
Halo- Jasmine Thompson cover
Little Worrier- Kina Grannis
Imagine- I like this cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kovB0_WRuxE
Nuvole Bianche- Luvonico Eunadi
Stop And Stare (originally by OneRepublic, but this cover is better for lyrical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxQ3nreCvHU)
Better Place- Rachel Platten
A Mother's Prayer- Celine Dion
Firework- I like this cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIqbIExedHY

I have so many more suggestions lol. Good luck! I'm sure she'll be amazing no matter what song you choose.

spiritmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Lullabye for a Stormy Night - Vienna Teng
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Been a while since I was able to get on here, but thank you all for your suggestions! You have been very helpful.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
When I Look at You by Miley Cyrus
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Saw a dance by a little girl to Butterfly Kisses mentioned above. I loved the song for the young one. But you have tons of great suggestions here. Good luck!
LittleDancersmom06

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My daughters first lyrical solo was a cover of "Journey to the Past" from the Anastasia movie and it was a hit. She was 8/9 when she performered it. Many judges commented on how it was a beautiful choice and age appropriate!
kea66

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
my daughter's lyrical solo is to Lexi's Lullaby by Anna Graceman - it is very pretty 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.