Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I'm just not into it and neither is DD. 
kellymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
DD15 and I have been watching every episode.  Do I love the kid format more than the adult format?  No.  I also can't stand Jason D. as a judge.  We usually fast forward through his comments.  But...it's summer and it's Monday night entertainment and we love all things dance.  It's been interesting to see how the choreographers work with the kids.  My prediction is that Kida will win.  He is quite the entertainer, has a poignant life story (lost his dad), and seems he would benefit from the money.
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Kida is great. I haven't watched for many weeks so I'm glad to hear he's still in the running.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
First season of SYTYCD I haven't watched. Haven't seen a single episode, and I have no interest in watching any cause I am so sick of all this "look how good this kid is at such a young age" crap that seems to be what it's all about in dance anymore. Lost so much respect for the SYTYCD franchise for going to this format [frown].
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
No interest here either. I did watch some in past seasons, especially if someone from our studio was on there, or at least someone I was familiar with. But I have no interest whatever in watching kids compete on that show. There are plenty of other dance competitions. I also know just how much BS goes on with that show so that in and of itself made it lose appeal for me.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
I've only watched a few times if it was taped so I could fast fwd the judges comments and the kids being silly for popularity points. Although our house is team Tate, and we wish her the best. You will never meet a nicer, more sincere and crazy talented kid in your life. She's a good soul who works hard and supports every dancer. They may really showcase her one leg, but it's her depth and emotional connection to the song and movement that holds you. It's really what dance is about. The formats not ideal, and I hate them cutting the kids from a nationally broadcasted show.

She's obviously an amazing dancer, no one is disputing that, but the choreographers need to showcase more of her rather than that leg. 
danceJ15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
We've been watching this season. While we like all of the contestants, we do prefer the adult version better. Tate is amazing. I think she can handle more mature choreo than what she has been given, ie "the leg". I'm also really enjoying watching Kida's growth. His confidence seems to be increasing and he's looking more comfortable on stage with the help of Fikshun. My DD has been getting into tap recently and she really likes Emma.

I have to agree with the ballroom looking not quite right with the all-stars and the kids. The one I thought looked natural was Ruby's dance with her dad in the auditions. There were others that were OK, but some were just downright weird.
minidancem0m

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
I've been watching with DD7. She absolutely loves that it's kids. We love Tahani, Tate, and JT. 
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceJ15
We've been watching this season. While we like all of the contestants, we do prefer the adult version better. Tate is amazing. I think she can handle more mature choreo than what she has been given, ie "the leg". I'm also really enjoying watching Kida's growth. His confidence seems to be increasing and he's looking more comfortable on stage with the help of Fikshun. My DD has been getting into tap recently and she really likes Emma.

I kind of find Emma annoying (and I hate thinking that about a child, just being honest and maybe that isn't the best word to use - maybe it started when she accused Gabby of cheating).  Don't really mean any disrespect, but she seems so much less mature than all of the other contestants.  I find it hard to believe that Tate is still so young, she's amazing but the leg is getting to be too much, the choreographers need to do something else with her.  I love Kida and hope he wins!
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
DD and I watched some of the auditions when it first came on and then we both lost interest so we haven't kept up. Bachelor in Paradise took its place! Lol!
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
I have watched here and there over the summer at about the same level as I watched the adult version.  To me it seemed rigged.  A girl from my daughter's studio auditioned and if she had danced half as well as she normally does, she should have made it much further in the audition process.  She made it though two rounds.  I think a few of those kids were picked for their appearances on other dance shows, Youtube, or because they are related to other amazing dancers.

If the girl from out studio had made the show, she would have had to bail on her team for nationals in order to be available for taping.  I'm wondering how many of the kids that made the show did bail on their teams and how their team members feel about that and how their parents justify breaking a commitment that they made to their team.

ladybug1993

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #37 
We have watched every episode for one reason only....the tap dancer on there. My 9 yr old DD has hated tap for as long as I can remember. Her duet this year is a tap duet and we are watching just so my daughter can see how much "fun" tap can be outside technique classes. My daughter s duet will not be advanced but she and her duet partner get to talk about the tap dancer and realizing it doesn't have to just be flap ball change all the time and she is actually starting to learn to like tap. For the first time tonight...second duet rehearsal I actually saw her smile. We also like to watch kida and we try to figure out how does he do some of the moves he does. He is fun to watch.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
I tried to watch but couldn't make it through the first audition show. Tried again when they started academy but was bored and annoyed. It's not for me and dd was completely uninterested. We were fans previously, of the dancing, but not so much the judging and interviews.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
its hit or miss.   i tape it so I have something to watch when I am working over nights, but it really doesnt hold my attention.  
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Never missed a season ....until this one.  Didn't care to watch any of it.   I came across an All Star group dance or 2 from this season on facebook that I liked, but I was very unhappy about the age range changes and chose not to tune in.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
So much of last night's show annoyed me... the tapper not realizing what a huge deal it was to be working with Savion Glover, Maddie doing a duet with Travis, and the fact that the kids got to choreograph... the adults didn't get that opportunity, but the kids do?  Seriously?? 
JustAnotherDanceMom7

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
So much of last night's show annoyed me... the tapper not realizing what a huge deal it was to be working with Savion Glover, Maddie doing a duet with Travis, and the fact that the kids got to choreograph... the adults didn't get that opportunity, but the kids do?  Seriously?? 

Totally agree!  Big time on my nerves, last night's episode was. Can't wait for it to be over (but, then why am I still watching? LOL).
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

She only knew how important he was when she saw the reaction from her Mom and Gabi.  Every prior teacher she's had is also at fault if she didn't know who he was or why he was important.  I also think they did a great disservice to tap by not taking time to really explain why what he gave her to do was so vastly different than the machine gun tap she's done so far.  At worst they should have let Gabi explain it.  Did you also notice that the piece spent a lot of time with the young tapper looking at Gabi's back?  She was watching her feet.  This was much harder for her than she let on I suspect.  Big big change to go from what she's been doing so far to what Savion gave her.  Kudos to Nigel for at least getting him on the show.  But let him tap for us!!!!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
I didn't even notice that she was watching Gabbie.  I'll have to watch that again.  I found it interesting that he did give her that style.  I loved it, but it was very different that the taping that he's so well known for.  And I agree... I would have LOVED to see him do his thing!

Oh, and I noticed that Tate didn't choreograph herself one leg... and I love that it was commented on!  LOL 
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
I so agree with everything that has been said about Emma and the choreography she was given by Savion. My DS is a very strong tap dancer, and he was happy to see Savion teaching Emma to sit in the music rather than hammering on top of it. It was telling to me when she was "teaching" Gaby and she was teaching by singing the song, rather than counting beats etc. Emma could really benefit from attending a tap festival where tap history, musicality and musicianship are taught as intrinsic parts of tap dance. So often at dance competitions, I see and hear the machine gun type of tap, and some are super impressed by the speed and the volume, but I would much rather see a beautifully crafted piece like the piece choreographed by Savion.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

She only knew how important he was when she saw the reaction from her Mom and Gabi.  Every prior teacher she's had is also at fault if she didn't know who he was or why he was important.  I also think they did a great disservice to tap by not taking time to really explain why what he gave her to do was so vastly different than the machine gun tap she's done so far.  At worst they should have let Gabi explain it.  Did you also notice that the piece spent a lot of time with the young tapper looking at Gabi's back?  She was watching her feet.  This was much harder for her than she let on I suspect.  Big big change to go from what she's been doing so far to what Savion gave her.  Kudos to Nigel for at least getting him on the show.  But let him tap for us!!!!

But then we only get to see a small clip from the rehearsal. I bet Savion did explain to her.

Nigel said that he has been trying for years to get him to choreograph for the show. Maybe the idea of working with kids appealed to him? Maybe he just happened to be free? Who knows lol.

I agree that teachers should try to educate kids on the "greats".

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysmom
I so agree with everything that has been said about Emma and the choreography she was given by Savion. My DS is a very strong tap dancer, and he was happy to see Savion teaching Emma to sit in the music rather than hammering on top of it. It was telling to me when she was "teaching" Gaby and she was teaching by singing the song, rather than counting beats etc. Emma could really benefit from attending a tap festival where tap history, musicality and musicianship are taught as intrinsic parts of tap dance. So often at dance competitions, I see and hear the machine gun type of tap, and some are super impressed by the speed and the volume, but I would much rather see a beautifully crafted piece like the piece choreographed by Savion.

Yes, the machine gun tap seems to be quite popular, especially with younger tappers...though I do see it in the older ages too. So glad our tap teacher is not into that.

I agree 4boysmom that any tapper that wants to improve/expand their tap vocabulary should attend a tap festival or all tap intensive. People would be surprised how different each teachers style can be!
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #48 
I was super surprised that Tahanni went home, was really hoping it would be Emma or JT.  I hope Kida wins the whole thing.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #49 
I'd also like them to stop throwing JT around like he's in the 1980's My Buddy Commercial. 
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #50 
My dd - not a tap dancer - but she leaped up when they announced Savion Glover.  She looked at me directly and taught me he was a great.  So thanks to her tap teacher for a strong education!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: