Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mzg1973

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I need to order a dream duffel, but i am confused about which would be best. I am considering the plain black classic medium or the medium silver edition. Do the benefits of the silver make it worth the cost and weight? I have 2 daughters and a son on the competitive dance team. Any advice would be appreciated.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have 2 daughters who dance. There will be people on this forum who say they fit 10 costumes or more in the medium, but we use the dream duffel garment bags, and I like to put EVERYTHING in the duffel, so I'd say the medium would fit about 7 costumes. The silver is only for aesthetics. I'd get the plain black. When DD was 8, we bought the pink polka dot one, and after a few years she was embarrassed to have a "baby" duffel. We live in MN, so we don't have to pay for shipping, and there are tons available for purchase second hand on Facebook. We sold the pink polka dot one (7 years old!) for $65, and bought a used large for $100 last year. Last year, my daughters had 18 dances combined. We downsized this year, so they only have 11 dances. We'll probably regulate the large for group dances and the medium for solo days, depending on the schedules. The different age categories make a difference in what you need to bring each day and how you pack. Last year, My DD's competed in junior, teen, and senior categories. This year, we just have teen and senior, so I think we'll need to be at the competitions less often and might be able to consolidate. Good luck and have fun!
threedancingdaughters

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'd also go with the regular black one. I don't think the silver one is really all that different.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We got a GlamRGear, the benefits of it over the dream duffle, specifically rolling on 4 wheels sold me. We got the plain black one. I so badly wanted to get her the pink sparkly one but I figured she would eventually outgrow it so we went simple.
Mzg1973

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you for the replies!  Now I am wondering - should I get a GlamRGear or a Dream Duffel?  I have never seen these in person.  Is one more stable or easier to transport than the other?  I wish I didn't agonize over this decision so much, but it is an expensive purchase!
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapYear0208
We got a GlamRGear, the benefits of it over the dream duffle, specifically rolling on 4 wheels sold me. We got the plain black one. I so badly wanted to get her the pink sparkly one but I figured she would eventually outgrow it so we went simple.

It looks great. Anyone has more feedback on GlamRGear?
owensamo

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I had a medium Dream Duffel and sold it a couple of years ago in favor of a Pack2Rack. I love that the interior is grey and not black - it's so much easier to find things. It also has pockets in the top, which opens to one end so you can clip it to the end of the rack and have access to more storage. I switched to this for those reasons, and the fact that it folds flat for storage (Dream Duffel did not yet have a folding bag).

One of DD's team mates has an Ovation Gear bag. She loves the privacy screen attachments that came with it. It's the same size as the Pack2Rack, which appears to be similar in size to the large Dream Duffel.

There are a lot of options out there. Simply Caddy offers both a hard-side case and a soft-side duffel option. RackNRoll has been around for ages, and is similar to the Dream Duffel. There are also tutorials both on these boards and online for to build your own in a duffel or suitcase for a fraction of the cost! It all depends on what your budget is, and what you really want out of your bag. 
.::Boo::.

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We've had the Ovation Gear bag going on our 3rd season and still love it. Definitely worth checking out.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
For what it’s worth I fit 13 costumes each in their own dd costume bags in my medium for recital. If you have a ton of super fluffy costumes then you might would fit less. Another consideration is the size of your vehicle and if you can fit a large.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We also went with Pack2Rack. It folds and fits under DD's bed in the off season. Most of our team did Pack2Rack, and they are holding up really well. I regret not trying to find one second-hand, though.
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
we went with the small dream duffel before they became so popular and everyone started bring them to venues and the dressing rooms became too crowded.   
1) we could fit everything in our small dream duffel -  11 costumes (I put them in the one garment bag, not in individual ones), shoes, Makeup case, accessories, Hair supplies, warmups, extra change of clothes, blanket and  snacks.      I only put the 11 costumes in there when I was traveling to the hotel.  Many times her dances were spread over 2 or 3 days, so would not need to bring everything or put everything on the rack

2)  Consider the size of your vehicle. These things are big, when filled.   I had a tough time getting the small into the trunk of my car

3) storage later, they did not offer collapsible ones when I got them, but that small was a beast to store  (We don't have a basement or attic space to store in)

4) things I never understood how to use... The Rings on the inside of the Dream duffel.   The "cooler" way to small to keep anything in and it was much easy to pack a small collapsible cooler lunch bag inside the duffel.

Unfortunately when my daughter out of competition dance, there was no second usage for DD and because it was too big for plans and takes up too much space in the house it was sold 2nd hand.

DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
THis is a debate that goes around and around and resurfaces from time to time.  It really is a matter of preference.  I have one daughter who dances competitively and one just for fun and exercise.  We have a medium Dream Duffle which has served the comp dd well. My "for fun" daugher is able to throw most of her stuff in there for recital as well.

It easily holds up to eight costumes though we have done nine depending upon how streamlined the costumes are. (tutu or no) The rack is easy to set up and take apart. We have had no issues with "tipping".  There are several deep pockets for accessories, snacks etc.

If you go with Dream Duffle, check their website on Wednesdays. They offer discontinued styles and products with very small defects that do not affect the performance of the product for steep discounts.

I bought my duffle from Discount Dance Supply and got a good price though the shipping was killer.
Good luck!
gigidancing

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My daughter has the pack2rack and loves it. I did a lot of research and checked reviews and this brand consistently was described as more durable, etc., than some others. It has a sturdy rack and lots of useful pockets.
The only potental drawbackis that it only comes in one size, comparable to the large size of competitor brands. It's huge. We like it, and it collapses and stores easily under a bed. But definitely takes up a lot of room in the car.
If cost is not a factor, the GlamRGear is awesome. More durable material, privacy screen, super smart design, and chic.
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We purchased the Pack2Rack all black last year. The garment rack is taller and sturdier than the Dream Duffle. It was also cheaper.
lucky0003

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My girls are now in college. The Dream Duffles are perfect for moving clothing in and out of the dorms. And if they each move in or out on a different day they each can use both. So there’s utility for these Duffles after high school dance.
Redfraggle

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
We switched from a dream duffle to ovation this year. I can’t speak to use of it so far, but I do love a lot about it over the Dd.
I love that it collapses when not in use, and that the inside is Grey so I can see inside it.
2tinydancers

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Skip the dream duffel and get the pack 2 rack. So much better. Cuter designs and folds flat for easy storage under a bed. This is the advice i give the new moms at our studio and they are glad they did. Love our pack 2 rack!
Billpayer2000

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We have a carry-on sized dream duffel. It holds a lot. I have fit as many as 5 costumes in it. The only downfall was that the rack wasn't very tall and the lid opened like a suitcase, so had to lean up against the wall.

Did breakdown and buy a glam'r gear.  Have used it once and I am in love.  Our dancers own all the various models of bags and this one was decided upon by others as the best one.  Improved upon the best features of all the bags.  The standard size is plenty big, especially now that she is a teen and the costumes are more streamlined. 
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpayer2000
We have a carry-on sized dream duffel. It holds a lot. I have fit as many as 5 costumes in it. The only downfall was that the rack wasn't very tall and the lid opened like a suitcase, so had to lean up against the wall.

Did breakdown and buy a glam'r gear.  Have used it once and I am in love.  Our dancers own all the various models of bags and this one was decided upon by others as the best one.  Improved upon the best features of all the bags.  The standard size is plenty big, especially now that she is a teen and the costumes are more streamlined. 

How much would you say the standard size would fit? I too have a carry on and have been itching to get either a medium dream duffle or the GlamRGear. We have 7 dances this year and I don’t think I can fit everything in the carry on.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
How much would you say the standard size would fit? I too have a carry on and have been itching to get either a medium dream duffle or the GlamRGear. We have 7 dances this year and I don’t think I can fit everything in the carry on.

What types of costumes are they?  My dd used the carry on back when she was on a comp team and we managed to carry as many as 11 costumes in there (including a ballet costume with a full poufy skirt), no problem.  Including shoes and a tri-fold hanging accessory bag.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

What types of costumes are they?  My dd used the carry on back when she was on a comp team and we managed to carry as many as 11 costumes in there (including a ballet costume with a full poufy skirt), no problem.  Including shoes and a tri-fold hanging accessory bag.

Are you talking about the dream duffle carryon? We had 5 last year and it was very tight. We haven’t get to see this year’s costumes yet and probably won’t be able to see it until April :s
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
Are you talking about the dream duffle carryon? We had 5 last year and it was very tight. We haven’t get to see this year’s costumes yet and probably won’t be able to see it until April :s

Yup. Dream Duffel carry on.  Eleven costumes... shoes and folding accessory bag. I kid you not.  And my dd was older.  Your's is a little, no?  Tinier body, tinier costumes.

Do you use garment bags?  That could be your problem.  They eat up A LOT of space.  And honestly, they're really not necessary.  If you don't use garment bags though... I'm really confused  lol
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:

Yup. Dream Duffel carry on.  Eleven costumes... shoes and folding accessory bag. I kid you not.  And my dd was older.  Your's is a little, no?  Tinier body, tinier costumes.

Do you use garment bags?  That could be your problem.  They eat up A LOT of space.  And honestly, they're really not necessary.  If you don't use garment bags though... I'm really confused  lol

Impressive! And people was surprised how I fitted 5 costumes in a tiny bag. I did use the short garment bags though. I’ll have to try without bags if I end up not getting a new duffle.
Billpayer2000

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:

This years costumes are lighter and mostly chiffon. Could fit all of them in the carryon dream duffel if I didn't hate how low the rack was and always having to find a wall to lean the lid on.  I fit six easily in the glam'r gear (standard size) with garment bags and could even more if it ditched the garment bags. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.