Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
AusDM

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All

My daughter is doing her first demi-character ballet and we have coloured her canvas ballet shoes to match the costume.  After doing some research online, I decided to use foundation makeup but need a way to seal the colour so it doesn't rub off on her tights.

Does anyone have any tried and tested methods they can suggest?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I've seen canvas shoes dyed and painted.  My DD pancakes her pointe shoes with foundation makeup, but does nothing to "seal" them.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Did you do it yet? Let the foundation dry. 

Dd uses foundation on canvas shoes to make them match her skin routinely. Rubbing off on tights or costuming has not been a significant issue, if an issue at all. Same for pointe shoes (though they are satin)

We've used floral spray to change the color of canvas shoes as well as dye and Sharpies. 
AusDM

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Many thanks

Yes, I have already coloured them and her first comp was last week.  We needed a caramel/latte colour which is why I decided on using foundation because the colour palette was fairly broad.  

The rub off onto her tights wasn't too bad.  It was more from her ribbons than the shoes because I coloured them too - I probably should have just bought similar coloured ribbons and saved myself the hassle but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.  There's a lesson learned!

I had read somewhere that hairspray may help but wasn't sure.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: