Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
comet

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD completed a year of comp tap and wants to go FT into comp. the studio is really open minded and so try outs aren't required. But she's well below the abilities of the other girls in the class (age 10-12).

I'm looking for suggestions on how to best get her in shape over the next 3 months! She's taking a week summer camp but I'd like her to do some daily exercise or stretches. Any videos or you tubes recommended? Should she focus on her arm and core strength ? Stretches/ splits
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Classes. Regular classes. A week is insufficient if the goal is to try to help her increase her abilities to approach the level of the other children. Check out other area dance programs, ideally at a ballet school. Strong ballet will help her core strength, arms and flexibility. Perhaps a local ballet school has a junior intensive she can attend. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Regular classes and in particular ballet classes.  There is no magic fix.
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree with the previous posters - as much quality ballet instruction as you can get over the summer.  Ideally she should also be stretching herself every day, with the stretches that she has been doing as warm up in her regular classes all along.  My DD also swears by Pilates - is there a Pilates studio near you that has classes appropriate for her age?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I hope you find some classes for her this summer. Another option could be privates focused on those things you know she is behind on.
madkat101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Stretch every day. A great dance youtuber is @fiercelivy and she has a ton of awesome videos. When she gets her choreography, take a video and watch it over and over. Then practice. Of corse it depends on bow she learns, but DD is a visual learner and that has helped me the most. Best of luck!

*edited to correct a grammar error
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Pilates - reformer is best, but mat is also great.  Find a pilates studio that works with younger kids.  There is a studio in Phoenix that does boot camp for kids your dd's age - I'm sure there are studios all over the U.S. that do it.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Classes. Regular classes. A week is insufficient if the goal is to try to help her increase her abilities to approach the level of the other children. Check out other area dance programs, ideally at a ballet school. Strong ballet will help her core strength, arms and flexibility. Perhaps a local ballet school has a junior intensive she can attend. 

I agree.  If the plan is only one week during the summer, I would expect her to regress, not progress during the summer.
lauraberney

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Yes, you would get such stuff on the Internet. However, sufficient amount of practice will help her get in shape. Encourage her to concentrate on practicing and to practice more.
froggie1ster

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
More regular practice will help tremendously, but she needs strength training, too. My daughter was really able to up her overall game after we bought her a backyard trampoline, she also takes weekend yoga and sports classes at our local Y. More classes, but also overall more exercise in general. School P. E. doesn't cut it.
PerfectingLeisure

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Be cautious with the internet. There is no substitute for a teacher. I will let her stretch to YouTube videos, but leave all skills to her teachers. She might begin behind the others, but at that age she can catch up.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
This thread is from a year ago. 😗
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.