Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 

So should a school be teaching a "recital dance" the whole year, and that's it at this age? When should actual learning how to dance vs. a dance come into play? Or do some schools only save this for their competition dancers and/or older dancers?

I know at the pre-school and even early elementary age, it should IMO be fun. We are on on second studio and I'm pretty much satisfied with this studio vs the old on we left. I do know though, DD had been learning her 2 recital dances since September, along with doing some light floor work. They don't "force" pointing of toes (like with their hand) or stuff like that. I did used to chat with one mom who was irate one week saying how "her kid learned nothing, all she did was learn a recital dance, her child hates coming every week now and are never coming back." Wanted to add at this studio, almost all their teachers are professional dancers or once were and they have the top competition team in my area. At 6 years old, does it really have to be so, "much"? 

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
At both studios DS attended even at that age the first half of the year is working on technique and they never started their recital dances until February at the earliest for the very little ones 2-4 years old.  The 5-7 year old rec kids wouldn't start their recital dance until late March/early April.  Sounds like they are only interested in teaching the rec kids "a dance" as opposed to "how to dance".
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
When my daughter was in the 4 and 5 year old class they started the recital dance early, probably in October or November but only for the last five or ten minutes of class.  They always spent some time playing games and doing things that were fun in recreational classes.

Starting recital dances early isn't bad at that age.  Spending the majority of class working on routines (at any age) isn't good practice.
peppersmom67

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
At Dd's studio the recital dance is not taught until several months in the season. The beginning months are spent actually learning to dance. I would be upset if I were paying all year for her to learn one specific dance and that's all.  
MiniMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
When my daughter was in the 4 and 5 year old class they started the recital dance early, probably in October or November but only for the last five or ten minutes of class.  They always spent some time playing games and doing things that were fun in recreational classes.

Starting recital dances early isn't bad at that age.  Spending the majority of class working on routines (at any age) isn't good practice.

Same for us. They did include teaching technique and proper names at that age, but wouldn't be making fine corrections for pointed toes, etc. 
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
At 6 they normally do pre primary or primary ballet exams. So it is exam work until Christmas. The routine is always taken from the steps learned throughout the year. So nothing is a surprise or would take extra time to work on. Dd's studio does focus more on the exam than the recital dance. So sometimes the 6 year olds will end up with a student teacher onstage or in the wings helping.
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I don't know as far as competitive dance, but if we are talking recreational. I find this age is usually in combination classes, getting a taste of three fundamental genres (hiphop, tap, and ballet) at the studio I attend they tend to go over ballet basics at the barre for at least 15 minutes. Then they do line work (hops, chasses and such) they usually alternate each week the last half hour of class between tap or hip hop. They also will play a silly age appropriate game like pretending they are various animal or follow the leader. In the beginning of the year they work on a small holiday piece. They don't start learning the recital piece until after holiday break.
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio teaches technique from September to December. Then when everyone comes back from the holidays they start teaching the recital dance. Whereas competitive dancers learn their routines much earlier (start in October).
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
IT should be fun with some basic terms thrown in when appropriate. I would NOT want my child learning her recital dance all year. Typically they start in March for the rec kids at our studio. And even then it isn't the whole class- just a little each week. 
peachygreen98

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 

For the 5-7 year old rec dancers at our studio - they offer a 1 hour ballet/tap combo class or individual ballet, tap, jazz and hip-hop classes that are 45 minutes each.  

For all the classes they have a curriculum of terms that they will learn over the year.  And they play games to reinforce the terminology.  In October they will work on a Halloween themed dance the last 5-10 minutes (mainly as combo work).  In November/December they will do a Christmas themed dance in the same time frame.  

They don't start recital until January.  (We have our recital in April) They still do the warm ups, barre work, floor work etc for the first 30 minutes.  The last couple of weeks before recital they combine the classes and practice running routines so you get a chance to perform in front of a small audience, work in combined classes (they open up the wall so they can work on spacing) and they perform away from the mirror. 

Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Depends on the age. We had girls competing at the old and new studio at 5y. The youngest rec classes did technique/learning new steps for their recital, but didn't learn their recital dance until January. Growing up it was the same. The new is the same, but still does technique for competition team throughout the year.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our younger rec dancers spend time on a short warm up and some stretching. They do tap and ballet. Work on some basic skills/steps and terminology. Some across the floor things- preschoolers do skipping, hopping, jumping, work on coordination and listening and classroom etiquette. Some fun games that incorporate skills. As the groups get older, more with simple leaps/turns, progressing as appropriate . They learn some short combos the first part of the year. Usually don't start recital routines until sometime after Christmas break. DD4's class spent around 10 minutes on practicing tap and ballet each, and they knew their routines just fine by May. (One hour weekly combo class)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.