Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Pilotdancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just curious as I feel my DD's studio is on the low, well very low end. It is a shame more kids can't participate. I understand the teachers have a limited number they can support - just curious. It is pricey to do it but a great experience!
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We take 100% of solos, duets, trios, and groups to nationals. However, we do not have many solos, duets, and trios. I think we maybe have 2 trios, 2 or 3 duets, and 25 solos? But these are all guesses. I don't pay much attention to what the other kids are doing. [smile]

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our studio has alot of solos, a few duets, and no trios this year.  
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Close to 2/3 the studio's competition dances are S/D/T.  I think we have 97 total this year, and maybe 35-38 groups (4+ dancers).  
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We have about 80 competitive dancers, and most of them have 1 solo. About 25% have 2 solos. We have 6 total d/t. So I would say we have maybe 115-120 we take to every comp. We have 5 dance classrooms at our studio, so that helps with finding enough time. 
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD is currently dancing at a very small studio that is really more of a company. They only have 4 groups, 1 duet, and 8 solos. Our studio is BIG into musical theater. 2 of the groups, the duet, and 4 of the solos are musical theater, lol! Musical theater is usually scarce at most studios, at least in our area, so its funny how many they have!
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
This thread outlines my major concern with dance competitions.  When we first started 10 years ago, it was mostly groups with maybe (at most) one fifth of the routines being s/d/t.  Now it's more than half or more.  Why?  Money.  Money for the studios to choreograph and train the solos.  Money for the seamstresses and costume companies (and for the studio if they take a cut).  Money for the judges who have to sit through longer and longer competition weekends.  Money for choreographers to moonlight as judges given there aren't enough judges for all the competitions now available; and obviously money for the exploding business of running a dance competition.  Oh ...and money for municipally owned venues to host all the competitions and the hotels and the restaurants and the parking lots and the program printers .....

And it's all based on the magic words, "we'd like to offer your dancer a solo."

And we all swoon because that means our dancer must be really good, right?  A star.  What an opportunity!!!!

I tell you what ...my DD has had a solo for 6 years now after training for 5 years and dancing only in groups.  At one point she had 3 of them until we realized we were getting drunk on the kool aid and dropped back to the one that she liked the most.  Now, as she dances without friends late at night, the allure of a solo is gone.  Dance for her is about being with her friends, not dancing alone in a category (meaning no internal studio competitor to warm up with and cheer for from the wings).  She's good and she does very well, but it's more about the friendships than the ability to say, "Yes, I have a solo."

Be careful what you get excited about.
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Too many! Anyone who wants a solo gets one at our studio. And, the SO even comments that "half these girls should not have solos." We had girl who sought out the smallest competitions trying to get a 1st overall with her solo. To me, that enforces the wrong message about competition.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
This year? A bit of an outlier.  Maybe 4 out of 9 total competition pieces were solo/duet/trio. The rest were large group/line.

Last year there were perhaps triple the number of dances in total, but S/D/T were rather select.  My oldest was 13 before dancing in a group as small as a trio.  Back to (multiple) large group/line this year.

Disclaimer: Our studio follows more of a pre-pro ballet school model than a competition school model.  Typically only one comp per year, in order to provide stage time for the kids (and perhaps also "show off" the school to any prospective parents or students).

HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We are a somewhat small studio, but more than half of the dances are s/d/t and all go to regional and national competitions.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our last studio had a company of about 45.  Company was invite only so only the strongest dancers to start.  From that s/d/t were invite only and only the strongest of the strong.  They usually take about 30 groups, maybe 7 d/t and about 30 solos.  All routines went to every comp and all routines danced in recital as well as the pre comp showcase.
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We are a small company of about 30-35 dancers.

This year we have 6 groups, 2 trios, 3 duets & 3 solos.  Group participation is by audition & anyone who wants to do a solo/duet/trio is allowed to.  If you do a solo/duet/trio, you decide how many & which competitions you go to.  Most go to all the competitions (we generally do 4 region + 1 national), but some skip nationals or regionals if they have a conflict.

I think we are less structured/intense than some other studios, though. [smile]
nyklane

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We are a very small studio. We take 9 solos and 3 small groups. That's it for this year. As I am learning (this is my very first year) some individual dancers do 12 dances themselves. (Well one dancer 2 weekends ago I counted 27!)

This year I am learning so much...
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Our company, as I mentioned earlier, is quite small. Anyone who wants a solo is (usually) allowed to have one(or however many), but you have to ask about it and DT will approve. I think she's only said no once or twice to people(to my knowledge) because they just weren't ready to be by themselves on stage and accept responsibility for the results. It takes a certain level of maturity to do a solo responsibility in order to benefit from it. I think solos are very beneficial, at least the way our company does it, that's where DD has most of her growth each year, but I know that's not the way it works for all studios. rarely does DT come out and offer someone a solo, but she does if she feels they will really excel at it. She asked us awhile back, and we revisited the subject farther down the line. She offered one other dancer a solo, she's benefitted from it the most out of all the girls imo. The individual attention has helped that child so much. We went to her old studio where they really didn't pay any attention to her at all, so she wasn't progressing. With our company, all of the girls who have solos deserve them and benefit from them.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We're at a very small studio - like tiny tiny.  This year there were 4 solos, 2 trios and 2 duets.  Anyone can do a solo as long as they are willing to pay for privates.  DD15 has already planned 2 solos for next year because she wants to do add a tap solo.  So she'll do a tap and a lyrical or contemporary.  The SO mentioned a duet with the other girl who is DD's age.  Her sister who has been her duet partner graduates this year.  And can you tell that even though we still have 1 performance and recital, we've already moved on to next season [tongue]
Pilotdancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Wow. Most of you take a lot more than us. I like the idea that if you are willing to foot the bill you can do a solo. I think that would be a great training as privates are involved and that they get to own something. People feel left out when only a few are picked and then there is jealousy and its caused some drama at our studio.....We have to audition and then if you are chosen you pay for whatever the fee is. It is high but my daughter really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I feel worth it. Thanks for the input!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
At our studio, if you are not new to company (save an exception here or there) you can request a solo. Typically that request has been granted. We get a sheet with recommendations each spring and then sign and return what we are willing to do. Some kids do solos for various reasons- sometimes its about growth as a dancer rather than winning. You an also request duos/trios, as well as recommendations.

Our team is very small (18 company dancers and 8 precompany) currently takes 22 solos (some dancers have 2 or 3). I think 16 duos/trios, and 10 groups.

DD11 does 1 solo, 1 duo, 1 trio and 8 groups.

DD8 (dance age 7) does 1 solo, 2 trios and 1 group. (trios should have been groups but injury affected a dancer for the season)

next year DD has been recommended for 2 solos, 1 duo and 2-3 trios, and 8 groups. younger one 1 solo, 4 groups and maybe a duo/trio (waiting for auditions to see how team pans out)
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Our studio rules for S/D/T include the following; you have to be in at least 4 company line dances, production, and do at least one duo or small group first before you can do a solo. After company boot camp the SO usually puts up a list with which dancer is offered what in which style. Each dancer then highlights their name in each small group, duo, trio, or solo they will commit to for the season.
We have approximately 60 company members and I would guess at least half end up doing solos.
My DD (14 yrs) is in 5 large groups, production, one line, two duos, and a solo. I find solos are a great way for her to get one on one instruction and get a feel for what looks good on her and what she needs to improve on. Duos are a better bang for your buck because it costs about half of much and she is learning how to emotionally connect with her partner and work together, but still getting a lot of individualized attention.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Too many.

In all seriousness, we have a team of 40ish dancers, and I believe we had 85ish entries at the one or two competitions we took everything to this year. Just looked at the schedule and counted: 22 duos/trios (1 mini, 5 jr, 13 teen, 3 sr) and 43 solos (1 mini, 14 jr, 15 teen, 13 sr). Quite a few of our soloists (mostly older) have multiple solos, so that represents 31 dancers. 

There are pros and cons to this. Pros - many dancers have the opportunity for more 1:1 or 1:2/3 instruction. More dancers have a chance to have something that is catered to them. They are just another thing we do, and many dancers have them, so there is no sense of competition to get one. Cons - rehearsal time can be challenging, as there are just too many to rehearse. We do a LOT of D/T in comparison to other local studios, so we sometimes feel like we're competing against ourselves in that section of the competitions. I think we had 7 of the top ten in competitive teen D/T at one comp, not so much because we're some amazing team but because we had something like 9 of the 15 entries. 

Now, we do two-year dances for a lot of these, especially duo/trios, so not all of them are new, but they still need to be updated and/or run. For example, DD9 has a duo and a trio. The trio is a second-year. No new costume cost, no choreography cost, just entry fees. The choreography was updated a little at the beginning of the year, but it isn't dramatically different. Her trio is new this year, with all of the associated costs. Because of the backlog of dances and a casting change it didn't actually start choreography until early April, and competed for the first time in late April. Did remarkably well considering. But it doesn't bother me all that much because it will compete next year as well.
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Anyone can do a solo or duo/trio at our studio also.  Just about everyone other than the newest additions to the team do at least one solo.  Most dancers do a couple solos and a duo.  And clearly some dancers are more "ready" than others, but the fun part is watching these dancers develop from their first year as a soloist over time.  And I do feel that those who solos do develop more quickly due to the one on one time.  And they enjoy having dances choreographed to their individual strengths (as well as areas they want to work on)

We bring them all to the competitions (Actually, it's up to those in the solo or duo/trio if they want to bring it to the competition or not.  Most do).  Probably close to 50 S/D/T in total and approx. 20 group numbers.

I like that they do it that way.  It can be a challenge for the newer people to find a teacher/studio time for their lessons and a dancer might not get the teacher they want if the teacher is already booked to capacity, but people find a way to make it work.
3mama5678

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
This has changed in recent years, but I'd say starting at about age 8 many many kids have solos. Once they hit the tween/teen years I think everyone is offered a solo for competition
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.