Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
When my daughter started dancing the end of the year recital was the only show that her studio did. It was 2 days of performances (usually only 1 day for the younger ones).  Last year they added a Spring Gala, which was a show for the competition teams and company dancers to showcase their dances.  The main reason for this was to remove them from the end of the year recital so that it would be a little shorter.  This worked great because those who didn't attend competitions got to see the competition teams perform. This year they added a Christmas show to replace the usual open house that they had for parents to see their children's progress.  This is an optional show and instead of purchasing costumes, we are renting them from studio.

I am curious how many shows different studios put on throughout the year.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our studio has a recital in June. That is it.

We have a competition team, so they perform at 3-4 comps a year.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
One pre comp showcase to give the kids a chance to perform their routines on stage.  They videotape it and bring it back to class so the dancers can see for themselves how they look.  We have to buy tickets and it is at a professional theatre.  Usually only the families of the dancers attend.

Recital is 2-3 shows and includes all routines including comp groups and s/d/t.  They have the comp routines all perform in recital so the rec parents who have been invited to be part of the company can see what kind of routines they do.

They also do a summer show at a local fair. About 35 minutes long and includes a mix of groups and s/d/t including everything but tap and pointe.  Our studio is a performing arts studio so we do song and dance and vocal and always have at least one song and dance group perform as well as a couple of vocalists.  This is usually only the comp kids.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD13 is at a new studio this year and I think they do 3.  There is the Nutcracker (which is optional), a competition piece Showcase, and the June recital.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The don't have a competition team but do have a performance company. We have a winter show where both rec students and company perform. The dances are woven into some sort of loose holiday theme/fairy tale. We also have two end of the year shows: a shorter one for the younger dancers and rec kids with a few numbers from company. Numbers are pretty short which is great for the littles and the company numbers give the parents a taste of what's to come. The other performance is all company and is a full length elaborate show. The performance company usually does 5-7 community events a year as well.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
At dd's current ballet school, there are 3 performances each year. First one is their version of the Nutcracker and is optional. Second one is considered a "workshop" though it is really more of a dance concert. They traditionally do a Balanchine piece or two and bring in outside choreographers for original pieces. The lowest level or two are not in this optional performance. (For reference, the lowest level begins with age 8). Everyone is in the spring performance. 

Costumes are provided for everything (much like many ballet schools) though there are participation/costume fees. The costume fee for Nut was $60 this year. I paid a total of $90, including the sweatshirt. [smile] 

At dd's former ballet school, everything was optional- 2 full length story ballets and a recital. 

At her comp school, there was a showcase for the comp numbers before comp season began that was done in the in house black box theater. Of course, there was also a recital. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappingfeet
DD13 is at a new studio this year and I think they do 3.  There is the Nutcracker (which is optional), a competition piece Showcase, and the June recital.

This is exactly what dd's studio does.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
For the strictly recreational dancer, there was "only" the end of year recital in June. The company dancers put on a winter showcase in January, right before season, where only competition pieces were performed.
Last year we added a spring ballet, which was awesome and I'm looking forward to do again.
This year, we added a winter recital. Why, I don't know. I think honestly it's more for the parents of the little ones. I would rather spend time on technique than rehearsal right now, but...

Former studio did only a recital for the younger dancers, then added on a winter recital. For the slightly older dancers, Nutcracker (voluntary unless you were in company) and for company, Nutcracker, spring ballet and company outreach performances, plus RDA performance pieces for sr company.
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
At dds studio for ballet there is a Nutcracker, with the professional company, with limited childrens roles. DD missed auditions because of when we moved here, but I think she may be too old anyway. Only a few students get cast. The "end of year" performance (recital, I guess?) is in late February, because the school year starts in March new. They have just started working on pieces for that, outside of regular class time, but dd said she is not in her class level piece and has no idea what she will be doing. She is sitting and watching so far- only 2 rehearsals. Perhaps she is an understudy? I don't know, neither does she, and asking seems strange since the rehearsals are with choreographers who aren't her regular teachers. That's it, though there are ballet competitions but I have no idea who gets chosen to compete.

Her studio for modern, jazz, etc is adults, and they have one competition a year for self choreographed pieces. It is open to the public, DD is going to participate. But no recital or shows, per se.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We have a Christmas recital that is usually at a grade school stage with costume pieces over a plain leotard provided by the studio. Every class does one dance. It's free to attend and there are usually 2 shows about 1.5 hours apiece.

Then we have a big recital in the spring at the most professional venue available to us in our small town. That one requires tickets at $10 a piece and book purchased costumes at $80 a piece. It's one big show...and lasts for almost 5 hours. Usually we are there from 11-5 or longer. It's a LOT to deal with. We have a solo only show before the big show, about 25 solos, then a short break before every single group number. I wish they would split it up more. We do all of our competition numbers interspersed in the recreational/technique class dances. The owners want the best dancers (comp team) to be seen by the rest of the studio kids/parents so they won't split it up more.

The comp dancers always have extra performance opportunities beyond the 3-4 competitions we go to. We do city street festivals every year. We have performed at Girl Scout and red hatter meetings. We go to nursing homes and grade schools.

BTW- I'm super jealous of studios that do nutcracker. I really want DDs to experience it, and thus far haven't been able to make it happen.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We have a recital that includes two shows in June and every other year our studio puts on The Nutcracker. Our competition teams do anywhere from 3-6 comps a year depending on the team you are on. 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our Company Dancers (read Performance company ...not Competition Team) perform 2 -3 times around the holidays.  Usually we dance before and between halves of a hockey game one night.  They also perform at a nursing home for the residents.   And then the whole studio does a public performance to support a charity every year.  

The Competition Team performs a showcase of the comp routines for family/friends before they start competing each year.

Recital is 1 day , usually 2 shows.

Also , the studio does try and book a performance or 2 for the Company dancers over summer.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We do a spring recital in which there are 3 shows over the course of one day and then we have a gala in Jan/February for our competition pieces.
3dancinggirls

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Christmas Show is done during the last week before holidays. It is done at the studio during the last 15 minutes of class.

Competition Show is done a couple of weeks before our first competition in the spring. Only group dances are preformed. It is done at a professional theatre & tickets are usually bought by competitive family & friends.

Year End Recital is done in June. All recreational classes preform 3 shows over the course of a weekend at the same professional theatre where the competitive team preformed at. We have a large studio & the tickets are always 90% sold. Selected competitive groups open & close the shows.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Recreational students only have the recital in June. There are 2 shows, but each dance class is only in one show. The comp team performs all group numbers in both shows. S/D/T are divided up and perform in one show or the other.

Comp team dances in 5 comps, and there are usually between 1-3 other performance opportunities. During those, usually a few group routines are done, but sometimes solos are performed, depending on the situation.

Right now, I'm looking for a performance opportunity for DD14 to run her two solos. She usually is a little nervous before her first comp, and once she performs on stage before an audience, she is fine. I'd like to get the nerves out before comp. Fingers crossed that DT allows this. The only reason she would not like it is if costumes do not come in on time. Fingers crossed!
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My DD's studio has a recital in June that consists of 3 shows in one day. The morning show is for the small ones up to 1st grade. The second (early afternoon) show is the competition showcase where they perform all of the competition routines from the season that just ended. The third (evening) show is the recital for 2nd grade & up, including all company and rec dancers. We also have a Nutcracker every December that is required for all company members. Occasionally we have parades, professional sports pre-game / halftime shows, and Disneyland performances. These extra performances are for company dancers. They also do about 3 competitions (1 with workshops) and attend an extra 2-3 conventions / workshops only (not counting nationals).
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Recreational has only the spring gala recital. There is the yearly Nutcracker for ages 6 and up to audition for. Competition team does 3 or 4 competitions, plus 2 or 3 community events every year.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Old studio had two recitals, one in December and one in June. Four competitions too. I admit that as cute as it was to see a show of Christmas dances, having a full day of dress rehearsal and a day for the recital in December was a major pita.

Current studio, one recital in June. There is a "pre show" where all of the comp dancers perform their solos. Main show has all rec dances and all comp duo, trio, groups and productions. Graduating seniors (we have had 4 in 3 years, none this year) get to do one solo in the main show. We are a newer studio. Im sure SO puts all the comp dances out there as advertising. The comp team goes to five regional comps each year and nationals every other year. Other than that, our community does a huge food drive in February. It is broadcast on local cable. Our studio has a 30 minute slot. SO chooses what comp dances get to perform. The high school in the next town over hosts a sytycd type event as a fundraiser. Local studios send a few comp dances to perform. The winner is chosen half by dance judges and half audience vote. Its kinda fun to see what local studios do.

LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We have 2 shows. 1 in December that is 4-45min shows, 2 shows on 2 days. We have 2 companies if you will. One is community and one is community/comp. community is in 2 shows and comp is in all 4. June recital is 6 shows, thurs night, Friday night, 3 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. I honestly don't remember how long they take. Probably 2 hours per show. 2 days of dress rehearsal before. A ballet production is put in the recital. Comp kids do every single show, community kids do 3 of them. Ages 3-6 do 1 show for each of their classes except 6yr old ballet, they do 2. 7+ do 2 shows per class they are in until they get to comp age/classes.

Winter show for rec and community kids is just tights, leotard and a shirt which is $20. 4 and 5yr olds tap, the rest of the rec kids are barefoot. My community dancer has a skirt to wear as well as jazz shoes, just what her director chose but for her rec class, stirrup rights, Leo and shirt. I know once they get to comp age they purchase costumes or reuse from previous recitals. Tickets are priced at 10A and 6C in a highschool theatre.

June 3-6yr costumes are $70 and 7+ are $90. Plus tights/shoes. Tickets are 16A and 9C I think. Between my 2 kids (6 and 8) we are in all 4 winter shows and all 6 summer shows this season.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
For the strictly rec dancer, there's just the end of year recital. For company dancers there's also the winter showcase which is really just a test run of all the comp pieces and a fundraiser. Each age/level group also performs 1-2 comp pieces at recital in addition to their "rec" pieces. That's how DD7 ended up with 6 pieces in recital last year, not including the finale[eek] I was just proud she remembered all the choreo lol.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We now have 4--

Holiday Show
Spring Company Preview/ Charity Fundraiser
Year End Show-- ALL recreation dances, etc.
Spring ballet

Plus three conventions, three competitions, and a winter and summer ballet intensive.

No wonder I am broke.  
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
There is one recital in May for the entire studio.  There is also a recital in January for the comp team that is a showcase of the comp dances but also is utilized to get the staging right before comp season starts a few weeks later.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Just one [smile] We do a June recital, only one show. We do have a studio performance at a halftime show each year, but that's just one extended group dance that everyone in the studio is invited to be a part of - not a full show. No comp showcase at the newer studio, though we did one at the old. We've just been too small to do a full show. Though as much as the team had grown in the past year, I wonder if we'll get back to that next year.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
We just have our end of year recital, which is in December at the end of the dance/school year. The rest of the year kids are busy with competitions, exams and paid performances.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
We do:

Nutcracker: 3 shows plus two school shows the day before the first "real" show for area children
Spring Ballet: 3 shows
Recital: 3 shows, but I think the creative movement set only does the Saturday matinee.

Each show has 7-10 days of theater rehearsals leading up to it. Every waking, non-school moment is spent there. [frown]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.