Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Lpr3

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Also for summer I found a community hip hop and tap class that's one hour for 4 weeks. Very low pressure, no dress code etc. then for 4 weeks towards the end of the summer she'll do a short stretch class which will get her flexibility warmed up for the fall. Seemed like a good compromise. She's doing swim team and tennis this summer and it all seems to be working out well. She asked for "exercises" to practice this summer from her dance teacher and she got a list of basic stretches to do and she's been doing them on her own. It is so amazing to see her so dedicated and passionate at such a young age. I can't wait to see what she does with dance as she gets older!
mochi

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I understand. At 6 my daughter would have taken dance every day if I let her. We went from a ballet/tap/jazz combo class (1.5 hrs per week) to 1 hr ballet, 1 hr tap, 1 hr jazz, 1 hr musical theatre, 1 hr hip hop at 7. And then doubled the hours at 8 and added comp team. At the time my concern was mainly how it would affect her but I really didn't think about how it would affect me. All of the driving and waiting (our studio was 30 minutes away) really began to take a toll on me.  But then once I had let her commit to so many hours it was hard to ask her to step back a little. I wish we had moved a bit slower or at least I had planned carpools a little better from the start. [smile]
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknoralove

I enjoy dance so i have no problem with the hours as long as my daughter enjoys it. We've tried some other sports and activities and she just didn't enjoy them

For whatever it's worth:  just maybe keep in mind that she's 5.   So you've had what... a few toddler/preschool years to try some other sports/activities?  Just because she didn't really enjoy some activity or another at 3 or 4 doesn't mean she wouldn't love it at 7, 10 or 12.   Heck, my now 17 yo dancing daughter (who is hoping for a professional performance career btw), at 5 years old?  She would've told me that dance was fun but that's about it.  Even at 8, 9 and 10 dance wasn't a serious thing for her.  My point?  Just that kids can, often do, change over the years.... a lot.  If I'd used what my dd really really loved at 5 to steer her... she wouldn't be dancing beyond a very recreational level, if at all.

Just food for thought, that's all.  Maybe it would be worth keeping the door open to other sports/activities even if, right now at 5, it feels like you've found THE activity. There's a whole big world out there for these kids and they simply can't know what they don't know.

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
No one else can tell you what works best for your child. They don't know her/him like you do.  People thought we were crazy when my 6 year old dd lived in the studio. She also tried a couple of other sports but hated them and knew from very early that she wanted to dance.  If she would have changed her mind along the way, I would have been fine with it, as long as she had another sport or activity to keep her busy and out of trouble. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one else's opinion matters in the long run.  Every kid is different.
nodrama15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
My 6 year old took 2 hours 15 minutes this year....1 hour jazz comp class, 1 hour 15 minute combo ballet/tap.  Next year she will take 1.5 hour jazz comp class, 1 hour 15 minutes ballet and 1 hour acro.  Spread over two days.  This is enough for her.  My 10 year old will take 7 hours 15 minutes spread over 4 days.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I've been reflecting on this and maybe I've already commented- here are my thoughts:

If the schedule works for your child you'll know. A build up is usually better than a big jump but there are those kids who always want more. I've got one who is only now starting to appreciate a having 2 days (wed and sun) off a week and always is ready for Dance, wants more Dance, happily does Dance related stuff in her off time. And I have one who would probably be better suited with a little less Dance but doesn't realize that quite yet. We make sure to give her lots of other experiences.

And then if the schedule works for you as a parent and your family. Only you can answer that.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
And at 6 that is somewhat comparable to what my girls did. We've always let them take summer classses as well as additional summer activities. My younger is 8 and we still do this and our Dt is good bc she leaves early one of the two summer Dance nights to go to practice but she knows come season Dance will be her priority and if she keeps playing she will be late to practice.
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

For whatever it's worth:  just maybe keep in mind that she's 5.   So you've had what... a few toddler/preschool years to try some other sports/activities?  Just because she didn't really enjoy some activity or another at 3 or 4 doesn't mean she wouldn't love it at 7, 10 or 12.   Heck, my now 17 yo dancing daughter (who is hoping for a professional performance career btw), at 5 years old?  She would've told me that dance was fun but that's about it.  Even at 8, 9 and 10 dance wasn't a serious thing for her.  My point?  Just that kids can, often do, change over the years.... a lot.  If I'd used what my dd really really loved at 5 to steer her... she wouldn't be dancing beyond a very recreational level, if at all.

Just food for thought, that's all.  Maybe it would be worth keeping the door open to other sports/activities even if, right now at 5, it feels like you've found THE activity. There's a whole big world out there for these kids and they simply can't know what they don't know.

Oh I agree with you 100%! I just meant that her dad and I (we're divorced) have been really open to and proactively trying to try other things too. So far she just hasn't liked them. I put it in past tense so I realize it may look like I was saying "ok i'm done trying!". 

I'm actually trying to get her into a summer T-Ball program on weekends this summer that our friend is coaching in. 

We also want to start trying music lessons such as piano in a year or two because she loves singing and she loves music. 

I just meant that for now we're ok as a family putting the hours in and if it doesn't work out, nothing is really lost for us. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.